Photo Collection

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
garbear

Re: Photo Collection

Unread post by garbear »

Guest wrote:Was that tug and barge owned by Norfolk Southern?
I'll assume the tug was. The barge was owned by Norfolk Southern.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Howard Sprague wrote:Thank you for the great photos Garbear. Those of the Thoroughbred Topper are extremely rare, and I really enjoyed the one of Fucinatore. That's a beautiful old ship!

I assume the barge was loading grain for her delivery voyage after being built at Bay Shipbuilding?
She was. I never knew where she took her grain cargo. I appreciate your words.

Unread post by Guest »

Was that tug and barge owned by Norfolk Southern?

Unread post by Guest »

While looking at the photo of the Lake Manitoba I wonder if someone can tell me what the stream of water coming out of her is, you see that in lots of pictures
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Thank you for the great photos Garbear. Those of the Thoroughbred Topper are extremely rare, and I really enjoyed the one of Fucinatore. That's a beautiful old ship!

I assume the barge was loading grain for her delivery voyage after being built at Bay Shipbuilding?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

I will note today the photos of the Indiana Harbor at Dow Chemical in Ludington were courtesy of Dow Chemical many years ago. At that time her cargo of limestone was a Great Lakes record(45,000 ton). All the rest of the photos I've posted I took myself.
Attachments
Tug Five Brothers and barge Thoroughbred Topper anchored Duluth harbor waiting to load at Continental Grain, Superior.
Tug Five Brothers and barge Thoroughbred Topper anchored Duluth harbor waiting to load at Continental Grain, Superior.
Tug Five Brothers and barge Thoroughbred Topper at Elevator "M", Superior, for securing. Loaded grain at Continental Grain, Superior.
Tug Five Brothers and barge Thoroughbred Topper at Elevator "M", Superior, for securing. Loaded grain at Continental Grain, Superior.
Ludington, MI.
Ludington, MI.
Ludington, MI.
Ludington, MI.
Ludington, MI.
Ludington, MI.
Ludington, MI.
Ludington, MI.
Unloading at the CLM dock, Superior. Bumboats Marine Trader and Kaner I along side.
Unloading at the CLM dock, Superior. Bumboats Marine Trader and Kaner I along side.
Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Outbound from Continental Grain, Superior.
Outbound from Continental Grain, Superior.
Outbound from Harvest States #2, Superior, with North American tugs Sioux and Dakota.
Outbound from Harvest States #2, Superior, with North American tugs Sioux and Dakota.
Outbound Duluth from Continental Grain, Superior.
Outbound Duluth from Continental Grain, Superior.
Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Harvest States #2, Superior.
Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Cargill B-1, Duluth.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

another mix of lakers and salties.
Attachments
"G" tug Ohio on the bow of the Alastair Guthrie.
"G" tug Ohio on the bow of the Alastair Guthrie.
"G" tug Ohio outbound Duluth with Alastair Guthrie in tow. "G" tug Rhode Island on the stern. Loaded at Capitol #6 elevator, Duluth heading for Buffalo.
"G" tug Ohio outbound Duluth with Alastair Guthrie in tow. "G" tug Rhode Island on the stern. Loaded at Capitol #6 elevator, Duluth heading for Buffalo.
Inbound Duluth for Globe Elevator, Superior.
Inbound Duluth for Globe Elevator, Superior.
Loading at Capitol #6 elevator, Duluth.
Mobile Bay inbound Duluth.
Mobile Bay inbound Duluth.
Mljet outbound from Harvest States #2, Superior.
Mljet outbound from Harvest States #2, Superior.
Mljet outbound from Harvest States #2, Superior. Note the 3 bases for deck cranes. I think the next trip she made here the cranes had been added.
Mljet outbound from Harvest States #2, Superior. Note the 3 bases for deck cranes. I think the next trip she made here the cranes had been added.
Hermine loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
Hermine loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
Federal Ottawa loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
Federal Ottawa loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
Federal Maas loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
Federal Maas loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
M/V Tim Buck loading at Cargill B-1, Duluth.
M/V Tim Buck loading at Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Soviet M/V Tim Buck outbound Duluth from Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Soviet M/V Tim Buck outbound Duluth from Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Soviet M/V Tim Buck outbound from Cargill B-1, Duluth
Soviet M/V Tim Buck outbound from Cargill B-1, Duluth

Unread post by Guest »

badger wrote:one of the three I cant recall which one too corn to port colborne backed in off the lake thru lock 8 stern first and discharged at casco then "drove out" straight thru lock 8 for lake erie
My records indicate that the Arthur M. Anderson unloaded at Canada Starch on May 28, 1994 with a follow-up trip reported as taking place on June 15 of that same year.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

Love seeing the pics of the "Sask Pi" - really miss those bright colors. Must have been early in her career then, perhaps 1st season operation? I know she arrived late in the season, so those pics could be her first saltwater grain load for Le Havre, France, Nov 14, 1983?

Unread post by Guest »

I wonder if the Settler was loading her first cargo for overseas.
badger

Unread post by badger »

one of the three I cant recall which one too corn to port colborne backed in off the lake thru lock 8 stern first and discharged at casco then "drove out" straight thru lock 8 for lake erie

Unread post by Guest »

The Philip R. Clarke loaded 600,000 bushels of oats at the General Mills "A" Elevator in December 1983. She became the first US self-unloader to load oats in the Twin Ports. The Clarke took the oats to the Anderson's in Toledo. Information from the Spring 1984 issue of Inland Seas.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

That snow was, either late Nov. or Dec. of 1983. The Clarke was loading oats for Toledo. I think they shifted to other elevator also.

Unread post by Guest »

Was the Clarke loading grain there? That must have been a very rare trip.

Unread post by Guest »

I never knew the Clarke and sisters loaded grain after conversion, was that fall snow or a spring storm that always makes everybody happy.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

A mix of salties and lakers today.
Attachments
Cargill B-1 Duluth with Kaner 1 bumboat along side.
Cargill B-1 Duluth with Kaner 1 bumboat along side.
Harvest States Gallery, Superior.
Harvest States Gallery, Superior.
General Mills "A" elevator, Duluth.
Lay-by at Hallett #3 awaiting General Mills "A".
Lay-by at Hallett #3 awaiting General Mills "A".
Loading oats at General Mills "A" elevator, Duluth.
Loading oats at General Mills "A" elevator, Duluth.
Finnarctis waiting for Continental Grain, Superior.
Finnarctis waiting for Continental Grain, Superior.
Loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
Loading at Harvest States #2, Superior.
Falcon loading at General Mills "A", Duluth.
Falcon loading at General Mills "A", Duluth.
Alistair Guthrie loading at Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Alistair Guthrie loading at Cargill B-1, Duluth.
Rob W

Unread post by Rob W »

Henry Ford II and Benson Ford were sisters launched in August 1924. Henry was built by American Ship building in Lorain and Benson at Great Lakes Engineering Works Ecorse, MI both 612ft in length and 62ft beam 32ft molded depth (as per Ford Fleet, Claire J. Snyder) Myron C Taylor and William G Clyde were of 1929 vintage with 604ft length 60ft beam and 32ft molded depth (as per KYS 2012 edition Roger LeLievre, Maumee/Calcite II/William G Clyde dimensions) William G Clyde and Benson were both built at AmShip Lorain. The Taylor and both Benson and Henry had triple cabins but I think the similarities ended there. We Know Henry Ford was very particular in his affairs so both Ford vessels were very lavish. He loved the Henry and spent a lot of time in her.

Also of major difference between the USS vessels and Ford were Fords use of the Sun Doxford Diesel engines. Both vessels were Motor vessels, a major departure from typical lake boats even for years to come. The Henry and Benson and their Doxfords were known to make a exhaust noise that sounded like "makin money, making money". Again Claire J. Snyders book The Ford Fleet has all this info on the Benson and Henry and more.

Long winded post boat I love all the Ford Boats

Rob W
Ray

Unread post by Ray »

Were the Myron C. Taylor and Henry Ford II sister ships? Other than some cosmetic differences like windows on the lower deck of the pilot house and the Ford having enclosed bridge wings, they look very similar. Never saw pictures of them at about the same time to make the comparison before.

Unread post by Guest »

You have Awesome pictures, we can all see photos of the ships of today but these historical pictures are great. Thankyou for posting them!

Unread post by Guest »

Interesting ketchup/mustard primer paint on the texas cabin of the Canadian Leader.