Ajax Company of Avon/Lorain, OH.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jim1000

Re: Ajax Company of Avon/Lorain, OH.

Unread post by Jim1000 »

Thank you both so much for the photo and information, sirs. That CARTERET was sure an odd-looking duck. I wonder if Ajax Company had anything to do with another Lorain dredge outfit from the 70's called Capital Dredge and Dock run be a fellow named Bill Kenterman?
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Carteret at the Soo in 1968 pushed by Mackinac Islander. Roger LeLievre photo
Attachments
Carteret 1968.jpg
William Lafferty

Unread post by William Lafferty »

I have a photograph, somewhere, of the Carteret when it was used as a hospitality barge at a home furnishing show at Chicago's Merchandise Mart in, I think, 1959. It was formerly an East Coast coastal tanker, and, of course, it was towed by the Mackinac Islander in the wood trade on northern Lake Michigan and Lake Huron back in the day. Johnson also owned the small Michigan-built dredge Four Brothers and the former World War II Navy tank lighter Madelyn M..
Jim1000

Unread post by Jim1000 »

Yes, the ALMA was a former fish tug and quite the odd-looking boat according to the photo I found of her online at Bowling Green's vessel database. Is it possible for you to share these photos of the Cuyahoga incident and clippings? Thank you for your response!
RenAl

Unread post by RenAl »

I have several photos of the TINA MARIE...two at Grand River in 1991, and then several after she sank and was raised in the Cuyahoga River. Also several clippings about the incident.

If the ALMA was a former fish tug, I have a postcard view of her.
Jim1000

Ajax Company of Avon/Lorain, OH.

Unread post by Jim1000 »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone happened to have photos of the Ajax Company's floating equipment, circa 1970-1985. This outfit was based out of Lorain, Ohio and seemed to do both dredging and marine construction. They owned the following vessels:

AMY A- Dredge- 65 x 20 x 4.7 ft;

ALMA- Wood hulled passenger boat- 43.4 x 12.8 x 3.8

CARTERET- Barge- 149.9 x 32.6 x 4.7

TINA MARIE- Tug- 61 x 18 x 8

I believe the livery of the vessels and company equipment was blue in color.

Thanks in advance!