2018 Toledo Lay Ups

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
dcook

Re: 2018 Toledo Lay Ups

Unread post by dcook »

If you go on N. Summit St. in Toledo you can try to get down to the river at Brenner Harrison Marina. Past that you can get down to the river at Bay View Park. The Toledo Yacht Club is down there also. A little farther north is Cullen Park. Go on Google Maps and punch in Toledo, follow the river north and you will see these areas. I think one of the LLT boats was moved to the Hocking Valley docks which are on the south side of the river at the foot of the I-280 bridge where Front St. goes by. If you have never been to the National Museum of the Great Lakes, it's at he foot of the I-280 bridge on Front on the upriver side. St. It's worth a visit.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

No problem Bob glad I could help. Just as an afterthought though, you might want to try and consider going across the river on the North side and going along the river. Not sure where exactly but I have seen a few people take and post pictures across the CSX and Torco Docks from the North side of the river. Granted I realize that you’re not right up next to them and close like you are on the South side where they lay up and at the docks themselves. However, at least on the North side of the river I don’t think you’d have as much trouble with security as you would on the South side where they are laid up. Also if you go to KYS Facebook page, there are some photos posted there of the 5 ships arriving in Toledo yesterday for layup. I’m sure in time many others will be posting photos from down there. Again Good Luck and glad to help you out!
Bob

Unread post by Bob »

Thank you Denny for all your answers to my questions, maybe I would have to get on the river to get some photos.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello Bob, well I can answer a few of your questions but sorry to say most of the answers may not be what you want to read along with hear about. First, to answer the question of locations and the docks they are mostly on the South side of the river as to where they lay up at. Now for the bad news and the answers to access to any of the docks. Unfortunately most all of the docks are off limits and restricted to folks like you and me. There may be some ways of getting pictures I don't know for sure probably some of the best ones to ask for that are either Jim Hoffman or Bob Vincent as both of these fine gentleman are very familiar with the Port of Toledo and know their ways around it and have taken and posted many photos here on boatnerd and on the KYS Facebook page. I am sure they could probably help you in finding ways to get around certain restricted areas for taking photos. I know myself as a veteran of going down there for years with my own group of friends, they got really tight on security and in 2009 my last trip there we could not even get around to any of the areas as security would not have any say in it! So I hope that I have answered your questions though on this subject. I do agree that it would be something though to see all of those 1,000 footers laid up there but, if there was just a way of getting around all the security stuff. Good Luck in your travels!
Bob

Unread post by Bob »

I a not familiar with the port of Toledo so I was wondering if the slips where the ships layup is on the north or south side of the river? Was thinking of taking a drive down there to try and get some photos as this is a rare accurance of having so many 1000 footers in layup at Toledo. Can a person get close enough to take some pictures or are all the areas restricted? Any info is appreciated. Tia
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Been watching the McCarthy and the H. Lee White arrive today for Winter Lay-up in Toledo on the AIS Maps. It appears from the look of things that the McCarthy is at the Midwest Terminals of Toledo or the Overseas Dock with the Evans Spirit. This dock may be more familiar to some as it is to me at least as the Trans World Terminal of yesterday and yesteryears. The H. Lee White appears from the looks of things to be across from the main Torco Slip where they unload the Taconite Pellets at. Still due for lay-up are several more including the American Mariner, American Integrity along with the American Century, Edgar B. Speer and possibly the Indiana Harbor as well. Right now I count possibly five 1,000 footers that could be in Toledo this winter for lay-up and still have not heard as of yet to where the American Spirit will lay-up at? If she goes to Toledo then you could have six 1,000 footers laid-up in Toledo then this winter!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks again orangeshirt for that. So again that still leaves us with the American Spirit as far as where she will lay up? I haven’t seen or heard yet where she will end up at this winter. Be interesting to find that out.
orangeshirt

Unread post by orangeshirt »

The Mariner will probably lay up at the MWT Ironville dock or at the old Interlake Iron dock which is now controlled by Ironhead shipyard. I agree it will be a tight fit for additional boats. I did hear the Hansen guys mention they may have more boats than planned for. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that orangeshirt as I appreciate that! So that leaves me with just one boat and that is the American Spirit which was going to Conneaut to unload. Wonder then where she will end up at for layup this winter? I'm assuming Toledo unless she ends up maybe in Milwaukee but I've never heard of her laying up there. Also it was mentioned in another post that the American Century will not be headed to Superior afterall for layup and may end up in either Milwaukee or Toledo. With four 1,000 footers slated for lay up in Toledo, I just can't see how they can get a fifth one there with the Century although I suppose it's possible but it would definitely make for some tight fitting around the lay up berths that's for sure.
orangeshirt

Denny, The Boland is at #4, but not under the loading rig. It is at the south end of the slip. The H Lee White should end up at #1 across the slip from the Boland. The American Integrity is expected to tie up at CSX #2. I think the Speer may end up at #3 in front of the Clarke. The McCarthy and Indy should go to Midwest Terminals.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Can someone from the Toledo area please post some Toledo lay up photos on the KYS Facebook page? Thanks as I would appreciate that and enjoy seeing them on there sometime.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

For Guest, if you look at their AIS and the maps they are not loading coal as they are laid up at what appears to be CSX #3 Dock. They are not loading anymore vessels with coal for the 2017/18 shipping season as the CSX #4 Coal Loader is closed for the season. So it looks as if she is in Toledo laid up for the season. Hope that this information helps out.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that orangeshirt as I agree on the Clarke as it looks like she is indeed at CSX #3 Dock for lay up. The Great Republic as you said I have in the past seen that dock referred to as the Torco Slip #2 Dock and the East and West Walls. The Dock you refer to where the Boland is sounds like it is the CSX #1 Dock and Wall across from the Coal Dock and loader which is the #4 Dock? I hope I got all that right and if not I am sorry about that. Would appreciate though any maps and hopefully there will be some photos posted on the KYS Facebook page as that would also help as far as identifying the lay up docks. Thanks though for your help again orangeshirt.

Unread post by Guest »

The vessel passage page says the Clarke is loading coal in Toledo today.
orangeshirt

On AIS, the Clarke appears to be at CSX #3.
orangeshirt

The Boland is at the inner end of the slip at CSX#4. This was the old C&O ore dock. Across the slip from #4 IS CSX #1 The next slip over is CSX #2 and CSX #3. They go in order from South to North, or East to West if you prefer, as #4, #1, #2, #3 and frog pond. The Great Republic should be where the Manistee was at the old Lakefront docks. The Manistee was moved to make room for the Republic.
Denny

2018 Toledo Lay Ups

Unread post by Denny »

Can someone please tell me and provide any information as to just where exactly the following ships are laid up in Toledo and what the dock names are? The ships in reference are the John J. Boland, Great Republic and the Philip R. Clarke. I have an idea on two of them as far as where they are laid-up at and what docks they are at but I also wish to hold off saying it for in all likelihood I am more or less wrong on my locations. The Boland I know is at one of the CSX Docks but which one? Yesterday the Great Republic arrived for lay up at one of the Torco slips near the Lakefront and just today the Clarke arrived for lay up at one of the CSX Dock sites but again I don't know which one exactly? Years ago I had saved a map of the Toledo Dock sites as far as the Torco and CSX Docks and I tried to match up the locations without much success. So, if there's a way for someone to not only answer my questions but to provide a map of the Torco and CSX slips by names and numbers it would be very helpful and appreciative. Thanks so very much in advance.