" Sea Stories" Relief Capt.

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
captrmetz

Re: " Sea Stories" Relief Capt.

Unread post by captrmetz »

I started with the Soo River Company in 1980 and retired in 1999. most all of the Captains that I once sail with have died, I think there are only 2 or 3 of use old times left.
captrmetz

Yes, I think you are right Captain, after 35 years on the lakes we had to pass one another at some point.

I know one time I was in a bar in Port Canaveral Florida and I met a few salt water sailors and we talked the night away, I went back to my ship in Thunder Bay and loaded for the seaway, I had to wait for a salty to come out of the canal and I remember the name of that ship, so by chance I called the ship and sure enough they remembered me and our conversation. Small World !
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

I don't think we ever met but I believe there were times we heard each other on the radio and were in close proximity in the canal. The old saying about ships that pass in the night.
RCRVRP

Unread post by RCRVRP »

It is so nice to have you and the Laker Captain both here reminiscing.

Did you two ever meet when working the boats or afterwards?
Are there others from the lake boats that you know of who could post here with their experiences?

Your contributions here are priceless.
captrmetz

With P&H I would have to call Lake Shippers and the Wheat Board in Winnipeg with my ETA at Thunder Bay. At one time we sent a coded message with our ETA. We use the company's code book and that was a farce. 
captrmetz

Every day I give out the orders in my "Standing Order Book"   On a nice day and weather forecast I will write, Follow all recommend   courses for Thunder Bay or what ever port. Call me if needed. If the mate has to make a course change he will call me first.

Unread post by Guest »

When the captain is not in the wheelhouse does the Mate set the course or follow what the Captain has determined the course will be ? If it's the latter, does the Mate have any latitude to alter course if necessary or do they have to get the Captain's approval ?

Unread post by Guest »

I think Lakeshippers is gone now so how do they get there orders now does the company tell you?
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

Yes on the weekends there would be a message from "Lakeshipppers" which was brief to save costs and would only say "go to pool 4" or similar

Unread post by Guest »

I remember listening to a scanner and you would here a phone call through the coast guard if it was really important, I also remember on weekends when I guess they called it Lakeshippers in Thunderbay and VBA would have traffic for what ships were expected over the weekend, the good old days
captrmetz

I would always go up to the wheelhouse every morning for my cup of Tea or coffee to see how thing were going. Check out the weather reports ships position, traffic and ETA's. Then i would go back for my breakfast then after call the office and let them know ETA's Catch up on paper work, always paper work !  I tried to stay out of the wheelhouse as much as possible, I know when I was mate the captain was always in the wheelhouse just to sit and BS. Then I would go back for my lunch and if mid lake I would take a short nap after lunch. Doing the rivers and seaway I would spent hours on end in the wheelhouse and I would have to have a break so in mid lake I took my break. It was a pleasure before phones and Fax and computer's were none nonexistence, now the office calls the ship many time a day. It is a Royal Pain !  We always had phones but in many places you would not get phone service. 

Unread post by Guest »

Capt other than making docks or locks or rivers, how much time did you spend in the pilot house? what was your daily routine or I guess any captains routine.

Unread post by Guest »

Master's Standing Orders and Night Order Book has been around long before I started sailing in 1964. As a watchkeeping Officer you were required to read, understand and sign it off.
captrmetz

Yes, you are right, I questioned the mate as to why he did not call me sooner and he said he did not what to wake me because he knew I was tired and we were only 15 miles from Passage Island and thought he could make Passage, but then the wheelsman said he should call me. But this episode thought me a good lessen I came out with " Standing Orders Book" To call the Captain in any change in weather.  I did not want to go around Rock of Ages Lt. because it would take me four hours longer so I headed for Isle Royale and the wind was on my stern, about 4 miles from Old Rock Harbour Lt. I altered course to the NE and the wind was ahead steered that till we intercepted the Up Bound course for Thunder Bay, it was the first time I ever tried that but it work our really good. 
Attachments
Standing Orders Book all mate had to sigh this book when they went on watch.
Standing Orders Book all mate had to sigh this book when they went on watch.
captrmetz

I never notice anything like a wiggle and never heard anything like that. She was a fine ship to handle, backing out of a elevator with a load of grain she back  what I wanted her to do, I really did not need a bow thruster and she was powerful. Very good ship.

Unread post by Guest »

Captain Metz how was the Oak I had heard she was a little different in weather she wiggled or something like that its been a while can't remember exactly?

Unread post by Guest »

That's an interesting story Captain. Why do you think the mate waited to wake you and suggest a course change until everything was flying all over ? I'm guessing wind doesn't suddenly build up like that so the boat must have been rolling for a while ?
captrmetz

" Sea Stories" Relief Capt.

Relief Captain

In the mid and late 1990s, P&H Shipping Company had two ships in service, Oakglen and Mapleglen. I was relief master for the two ships. I enjoyed the role of relief captain, since I missed fitout as well as most of the late fall storms the frequented the lakes. I usually missed out on the layup of the ships, too. I just sailed the warm summer months while the other two captains took their holidays.
The men who crewed these ships were all professional sailors with many years sailing on the same ship. One such professional was wheelsman Kenny Budgel, who was wheeling on the Oakglen for one of my 35-day sailing periods.
The company called me at home in Florida, and I was to report aboard Oakglen the next day. I spent a day flying and sitting around in airport lobbies. Then I had a four-hour drive to Owen Sound to join the ship.
When I arrived, I was already beat, but stayed up until we were unloaded, and then departed for Thunder Bay. Thinking that I would catch up on some sleep while underway, I went to bed. But I could not fall asleep until we departed the Soo Locks.
I had fallen into a really sound sleep and did not notice that the ship was starting to take on a lazy roll, which increased as the hours passed. Third Mate George Parsons, woke me up. “Cap, I think we should alter course,” he said.
When I came fully awake, she was rolling pretty well. In fact, I couldn’t believe what I saw. All my furniture and books were strewn around the room. I had a difficult time just walking to the wheelhouse stairs.
When I finally got to the foot of the stairs, I yelled up to Kenny, “Hard to port and come around to 240 degrees.”
Kenny, being the pro that he is, repeated my order and brought her around to have the sea on our stern. The ship rode a lot better that way.
The wheelhouse was also a mess. Charts and chairs were lying all over the place. I couldn’t believe that the rolling had not woken me up.
That night at dinner, I received a mean glare from our Chief Cook, Glenna. “Cap, you never rolled a ship like this for so long before.”
What could I say? That I was sleeping? Glenna had me nailed, and she knew it!
Pat Snook and Mike Koeber, two wheelsmen, were others of the professionals who did all of their own steering and made most of the walls by themselves. In the mornings while underway, one of their jobs was to mop the wheelhouse deck. I would guess when they should be all finished mopping, then I would walk up to the bridge for my morning coffee. My guess was always correct - the deck was still wet when I came charging in. Neither Pat nor Mike ever said a word. But I often wondered what they were thinking.
Our mates were the best on the Great Lakes. I trusted every mate while he was on the bridge. I knew that if something was going wrong, I would get called immediately. Our second and third mates were certainly all professional - Jimmy Mann, Bill Parker, Norm McKay, and George Parsons. All of them knew their jobs to the letter, as did George Power, a man of many years sailing on lakers and fish tugs. Every time I entered the wheelhouse, fresh coffee was always at had. Edward Agar, wheelsman on the Mapleglen, always had a fresh pot of tea brewing, and would say, “Cap, the pot is hot.”
Attachments
The Might Oak. Underway.
The Might Oak. Underway.
Oakglen Wheelhouse
Oakglen Wheelhouse
Oakglen loading at Owen Sound.
Oakglen loading at Owen Sound.
Oakglen at the Locks
Oakglen at the Locks