American Mariner paint job

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Brian Ferguson

Re: American Mariner paint job

Unread post by Brian Ferguson »

Chris M wrote:Burns Harbors paint, hull wise isn't bad, just alot ore staining
The Burns Harbor has had that staining on the back of the cabins under the stacks for as long as I've know it. I personally scrubbed those sports when I worked on her and we even did some painting on her back there in 2002 and it's just part of her "patina" because it was back in a matter of weeks. I've never seen another Bay Ship footer with that staining there but that and her "extra" deck (more like filled in void between the stacks makes her easy to pick out from the other ASC footers.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Paint doesn't make money.
Perhaps not. But it does protect the steel and prove you have a reasonable level of pride in the equipment. I work on one of these vessels, it is my home for most of the year. Frankly it is embarrassing when the hull has more rust than paint. Why should employees care about maintenance when it is made apparent by actions that the company doesn't? It isn't wasted money in the least.
I agree with you and it makes me suspect that other maintenance is being skipped.
I also understand what the other person posted about the amount of lockage being done by the Seaway boats and the resultant hull scrapping.That being said though, it would be all the more reason to protect the hull with paint. Hull maintenance is a Cost of doing business and should be allocated into their budgets obviously not on a yearly basis but as needed to insure the integrity of the steel and not just for the obvious visual effect of a nicely painted boat.

Unread post by Guest »

Would a Great Lakes cargo vessel's lifespan be significantly shorter if it were never painted? Most of the boats seem to rust from the inside out, whether due to cargo-assisted corrosion or salt water in the ballast tanks. I suppose that the stack and name need to be painted for identification purposes, but the rest of the boat could come out of the shipyard as bare steel and still likely last for 30 or 40 years.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

To be clear, I don't think anyone is suggesting that painting take place anytime the boat gets a scrape. What is being discuss is how some fleets, primarily Algoma and ASC, who don't paint their boats even during dry dockings. So while techniocally true paint doesn't make money, every 5 years in the dry dock doesn't seem too unreasonable to sandblast and paint.

Unread post by Guest »

I don't think it's as easy for Algoma to keep their paint jobs in good condition as it is for the US companies. Many Algoma ships transit the Welland and Seaway on a regular basis which takes a toll on paint. A round trip from Lake Superior, down the Seaway and back means transiting 32 locks in about a 15 day period. In the same time, a US ship running round trips of ore to a Lake Michigan port would transit the Soo locks maybe 6 times at the most.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Paint doesn't make money.
Perhaps not. But it does protect the steel and prove you have a reasonable level of pride in the equipment. I work on one of these vessels, it is my home for most of the year. Frankly it is embarrassing when the hull has more rust than paint. Why should employees care about maintenance when it is made apparent by actions that the company doesn't? It isn't wasted money in the least.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yup, I agree with you Chris as hull wise the Burns Harbor is not too bad other than the ore stains as you had mentioned. That is also the case with the American Spirit as well. Hull wise she is fine but just has some ore stains on her like any other vessel that is hauling lots of ore cargoes frequently. Don't mean to sound so negative on the subject but, as far as the Mac and Indy goes all I can say there is looks speak for themselves on those two footers at least anyway. Also let's not forget as well before I get shot down even more here on my comments, it wasn't too long ago that we had some that was also talking about Algoma and how some of their ships are in need of paint jobs. Yeah I realize that paint does not make money but, if you're a company wouldn't you want your ships looking the best and be proud and have pride in ships looking decent like in the old days when USS/GLF and Oglebay Norton would paint their ships? Right now I'd say that Interlake probably has some of the best looking ships paint wise at least out there sailing the lakes.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

Burns Harbors paint, hull wise isn't bad, just alot ore staining

Unread post by Guest »

Paint doesn't make money.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Agree with you 100% Bookworm as the American Spirit and to our dear friend Lady Pirate Violet, the former George A. Stinson is indeed in need of some paint work. The Burns Harbor is another that is in dire need of a paint job. I guess ASC is known as the El Cheapo shipping company if you will since they rarely paint some of their ships. To think they have two former Oglebay Norton footers the Century and Integrity and even those two now after nearly 12 years already with ASC are starting to look a little rough.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny wrote:I must say the Mariner certainly looks great with her new paint job as seen on the KYS Facebook page photos. Hopefully someday they will paint a few more ASC ships. The McCarthy and Indiana Harbor at least certainly could stand to be repainted as both are looking very hard now.
The last time I saw the American Spirit (George A. Stinson to Violet, if you recall) she was looking pretty scruffy, too. Don't have a recent picture to support that though.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I must say the Mariner certainly looks great with her new paint job as seen on the KYS Facebook page photos. Hopefully someday they will paint a few more ASC ships. The McCarthy and Indiana Harbor at least certainly could stand to be repainted as both are looking very hard now.
Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Denny, for me it's an educated guess. I believe it is the least 'cherished' name in the fleet. All the others have good solid historical names except 3 footers, all of which were recently renamed and doubtfully will be changed. Renaming a footer doesn't happen every day.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In my post regarding ASC renames, Andrew I believe it is mentioned the American Courage will be the new Cornelius! So far though I’ve yet to see anything either on the ASC website or their Facebook page. So it looks like we will just have to wait and see on that one I guess for now.
KHenry

Unread post by KHenry »

I had assumed it was a good candidate to become the next Cornelius as well.
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

I have been told the American Mariner name has been restored after her paint job. I had a crazy thought that they might make her the new ACorn. But nope.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Can't answer that question sorry to say Roger but, going off topic here though in another thread that I started on ASC renames there are reports suggesting the American Courage may end up being the next Adam E. Cornelius? I have not seen anything mentioned as of yet on the ASC website or their facebook page so stay tuned!
BigRiver

American Mariner paint job

Unread post by BigRiver »

Anyone been by the shipyard in Toledo this week to see if they have restored the name American Mariner to the bow?