Algosteel

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
clarkjol

Re: Algosteel

Unread post by clarkjol »

The Algosteel has cleared the "Bridge" at 9:03 EST, making 8.8 knots
expect to make Sarnia tomorrow night.
clarkjol

Bristol Bay is back breaking the ice above White Shoal light at 12.3 knots and the Algosteel is following at 2.2 knots. Slow going.
clarkjol

The Bristol Bay and the Algosteel are on the move with a destination of Sarnia, 2:10 PM EST
dayooper77

Unread post by dayooper77 »

Bristol Bay passing under bridge at about 11:10 AM Wednesday.

Unread post by Guest »

Troy wrote:Where is the Mackinaw ? The Mobile Bay is in Sturgeon Bay. The Algosteel has been sitting there for a couple of days now. I don’t understand the Coast Guard Ice Breaking strategy at times.. Just Sayin’.
AIS at 09:00 shows USCG Bristol Bay (destination Straits) above Rogers City.
Attachments
USCG Bristol Bay 2015-02-11.JPG
Troy

Unread post by Troy »

Where is the Mackinaw ? The Mobile Bay is in Sturgeon Bay. The Algosteel has been sitting there for a couple of days now. I don’t understand the Coast Guard Ice Breaking strategy at times... Just Sayin’...
clarkjol

Wondered what happened to the Hollyhock, I've been following the Algosteel and now I know why she is now just off of Port Inlay, crew must be awfully bored by now.

Unread post by Guest »

USCGC Hollyhock suffered a significant mechanical issue prior to departing St. Ignace to assist the Algosteel. Unfortunate for both crews, as nobody likes to sit around. The Hollyhock will limp back to Port Huron once temporary repairs are complete.

Unread post by Guest »

There is atleast one more season for the algosteel she is not going for scrap in the spring
Judie

Unread post by Judie »

USCGC Bristol Bay has a destination of Straits of Mackinac @ 1800
clarkjol

You may have not seen the last of the Algosteel at Milwaukee. One of the mates on the "Steel" told a GLT crew they were coming back to Milwaukee on their next trip. As I write this the Algosteel is still in upper Lake Michigan off of Garden Island. Their destination is Sarnia for fuel, then to Goderich and back to Milwaukee, and as always.........subject to change.

Unread post by Guest »

I was in Milwaukee on Thursday afternoon and was able to see the Algosteel heading north. I was driving and was not able to snap pics from on top of the bridge. A rare treat to see a laker in February, unless seeing the layup ships in Duluth. A beautiful sunny afternoon, and a good view, probably my last, of the Algosteel.

Times they are a changing...
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

Denny, those comments about the Goderich lay-up were made by me. It was only a guess that I made based off what happened the last two years with the Aird and Algomarine. However, I have since heard that she is to lay up in Sarnia, which would make sense if she really will sail another season as Guest suggested. However only time will tell for those of us who aren't "in the know". All I know right now is that she's supposed to make more salt runs.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

It wasn't too long ago here on this Discussion Board I believe that I had read people's comments "That she was to lay up this winter in Goderich and come Spring they would load her with a salt cargo and then she would take and unload it probably similiar to what the John B. Aird did in the Spring of 2017!" The Aird eventually ended up laying up in Montreal, before being renamed and then towed to Turkey for scrapping. I expect that the same thing will end up with the Algosteel later on this Spring, she will more than likely end up laying up in Goderich as would be my best guess and then loading salt sometime in the Spring and then eventually arriving for lay up in Montreal and then being towed overseas to Turkey for scrapping and being cut up sorry to say. Hope that all this information helps.
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

I believe after Sarnia it is heading to Windsor for a load. Not sure how much longer they will be sailing.

Unread post by Guest »

Little off subject but I keep reading on here that the steel is going for scrap as far as we know she has at least one more season

Unread post by Guest »

I’ll hazard a guess; waiting out gale warnings in effect until late Sunday night. There is also another storm bearing down on the Upper Midwest, so they may sit awhile longer.
Troy

Algosteel

Unread post by Troy »

i am assuming that the Algosteel is awaiting Coast Guard assistance to break trail through the straits. But how long do they have to wait for somebody to show up ? Seems strange that they are sitting for over a day and nobody has showed up to the party yet ?