Mackinaw feature discussion

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Brent

Re: Mackinaw feature discussion

Unread post by Brent »

I believe that all the breakers were painted red about the time the Polar Class came out in the early 70's. Most of the Wind Class were never painted red as they were scrapped about that time. The exceptions were the Northwind, Westwind, and Glacier. Capt Dick Taylor tried many times to get Mackinaw painted red when he was Captain in the early 80's. When the ship was white I hated the black lines running down the sides from the freeing ports. This was caused by soot from the engines and boilers coming out the stack and landing on deck. When the deck was washed down or it rained, the soot went over the side and caused the stripes.
Geo

Unread post by Geo »

all cg breakers were white originally except during ww2. the navy breakers were haze grey. i was on her before and after the racing stripe. i thought the stripe made her look better. i'm very partial to the white with buff and black masts but it understand the visibility issues. usually the lakers were so happy to see us, i don't think they really cared what color we were.

Unread post by Guest »

Randy S wrote: I agree - Impressive as she is, she looked far grander in her white dress!
Same here, but she sure was more difficult to see across the ice, I bet Brent can weigh in on that. I can't recall why she was painted white originally rather than the standard red of icebreakers, used to know but it escapes me at the moment. Anyone?
Randy S

Unread post by Randy S »

Brent wrote:There is no armor plate on Mackinaw, just good old fashion american steel. I still thing she looks better white . As far as an icebreaker, she is the benchmark for all the others.
I agree - Impressive as she is, she looked far grander in her white dress!
Brent

Unread post by Brent »

There is no armor plate on Mackinaw, just good old fashion american steel. I still thing she looks better white . As far as an icebreaker, she is the benchmark for all the others.
hkmadigan

Unread post by hkmadigan »

The reason her paint looks like original is because sailors, like me, since 1944 have been chipping and repainting her. That was no small job, as her paint had to be perfect for the summer's events. I spent two tours aboard as a seaman and as an ET. She is an amazing piece of work. Built during the war, she carries armor plate on her top surfaces...which I found out the hard way while trying to drill holes for kick pipes and stuffing tubes through her bridge overhead. Armor plate to deflect attacking aircraft machinegun rounds. I still think she is the better icebreaker between her and the new one...so does the CG, as far as I know.
geo watson

Unread post by geo watson »

Finally
I've been watching this site for about 15 yrs. and always wanted a section on the "queen of the lakes".
she was my first duty assignment when i was 18 yrs old.
you know what they say about sailors,
"they never forget their first love or their first ship"
she was both for me.
the pics were great and the videos were better.
living on cape cod, i don't get to the straits very often but i was there for her decommissioning and I've been to the museum a couple of times. I'll be back again.
tnx for the feature
hope everyone learns about her and enjoys it.
Les Weston

Unread post by Les Weston »

What a great set of photos. Thanks for posting!

Mackinaw feature discussion

Unread post by Guest »

This thread is for the discussion of the USCG Mackinaw.

http://www.boatnerd.com/mackinaw2/