Sturgeon Bay Activity

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Shipwatcher1

Re: Sturgeon Bay Activity

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

Guest wrote:
Guest_SB wrote:
Custom500 wrote:Anybody know what's up with the Alpena?
ABS 5-year survey, I believe, along with whatever else needs work at this time.
Well she's my favorite boat. I sure hope she passes all her examinations all right.. Now I have THIS to worry about on top of all my other troubles!
Umm, why worry? Perfectly normal every 5-6 years.
Portdrydock

Unread post by Portdrydock »

Any update on when the Clean Canaveral will be leaving Bay Ship? Does anyone know which tug will be in the notch when it leaves?
Guest_SB

Unread post by Guest_SB »

The barge Lake Trader was refloated late in the week and departed with tug John Marshall overnight.

The aft end of the Alpena was tarped, main deck down, when I went past the yard yesterday...fresh paint coming.
Custom500

Unread post by Custom500 »

Guest wrote:talking to somebody who works on the alpena, its in for 5 year and will be out December 15th
Good deal- thanks for that.

Unread post by Guest »

talking to somebody who works on the alpena, its in for 5 year and will be out December 15th

Unread post by Guest »

Guest_SB wrote:
Well she's my favorite boat. I sure hope she passes all her examinations all right... Now I have THIS to worry about on top of all my other troubles!
Guest_SB

Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Darryl wrote:It's interesting that the Blue Heron is stationed in Duluth MN, but goes about 800 miles away for maintenance. If that's the same R/V that is used by the University.
Most public organizations, including state Universities, have to publicly bid work that is over a certain value. So it may very well have been a low bid or best value situation, even though its far from its home port. They might even include the University's incurred travel costs when determining the best value.
Custom500

Unread post by Custom500 »

Anybody know what's up with the Alpena?
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

It's interesting that the Blue Heron is stationed in Duluth MN, but goes about 800 miles away for maintenance. If that's the same R/V that is used by the University.
Bob+

Unread post by Bob+ »

Yes there was a double this morning, Aleena was put in first then it was followed by thE Badger. Yesterday, the barge Lake Trader went into the floating dry dock and the tug John Marshall went back to Bert 1
Guest_SB

Sarter tugs are currently moving the Alpena in the large graving...understand the Badger will follow her in there later this morning.
Guest_SB

The Alpena arrived at Bay Ship this morning, a little before 5am, and is moored on the face.
Guest_SB

Sturgeon Bay Activity

I've not kept the SB activity current...so here's an update.

The tug John Marshall arrived this afternoon, coming through the ship canal, to deliver the barge Lake Trader and they are currently on berth 2 - to dock in the coming week in the floating drydock. Not sure if the Marshall is docking too.

The car ferry Badger arrived about a week ago, towed in by Sarter tugs and moored at berth 9 behind the new build LNG Bunker Barge Clean Canaveral. The Badger should be docking this week.

The Mark W Barker launched late in October and is moored at berth 8 for finishing through the winter.

The GLF boats Roger Bough (berth 15) and Cason Callaway (berth 3) remain in layup.

The vessel Blue Heron is currently in the small graving dock.