Gale warning protocol

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Darryl

Re: Gale warning protocol

Unread post by Darryl »

Dawn, The Authorities shut down the St. Marys River and the locks for dense fog. Having photographed the St. Clair River for all those years, I'm sure you knew that. Maybe someone did not. With GPS, I know some wished to keep moving in zero visibility.
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

There are many factors in when it is prudent to anchor for adverse weather. It may not be possible as once I steamed back and fro in the lee of Michipcoten Island as we were caught unawares. On another boat, it was terrible at anchor in strong winds and rather than re anchoring after she had dragged several times slow steamed.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

A lot of factors go into the decision whether to anchor or proceed. Knowledge of your ship and its characteristics in a sea, loaded or in ballast, next port and your position in regards to loading or unloading all play a factor.
Ultimately as stated it is the Captains prerogative but its based on numerous factors.
I have posted in the past pics of the boat I was on passing Ft Gratiot Lt with Storm Signals flying while others where snug anchored in the St Clair River awaiting weather
Dawn

Unread post by Dawn »

Guest wrote:
Dawn wrote:With so many boats going to anchor, especially from DeTour to Duluth, it's interesting to see H. Lee White (Superior) creeping along at 4 kph, between Marquette and the Keweenaw. I realize going to anchor is the captain's decision but is there protocol (in a weather event similar to the storm of 1913) for the Coast Guard to step in and order boats to anchor?
As far as I know the Coast Guard can only issue a Captain of the Port (COTP) order to stop a ship in a situation where the vessel is deemed unsafe or unseaworthy to to structural, mechanical, or lifesaving/safety deficiencies. The Master of the vessel is always presumed to be the ultimate authority and best suited to make decisions regarding the safety of the crew and vessel.

Don't assume that the H. Lee White is only making 4 kph because the waves or winds are that bad. She is likely killing time waiting for the weather to change and/or is not in good holding ground to anchor.
I appreciate your informative response.

Unread post by Guest »

The decision for a ship to anchor or not in a gale/storm is at the discretion of the captain.

Unread post by Guest »

Dawn wrote:With so many boats going to anchor, especially from DeTour to Duluth, it's interesting to see H. Lee White (Superior) creeping along at 4 kph, between Marquette and the Keweenaw. I realize going to anchor is the captain's decision but is there protocol (in a weather event similar to the storm of 1913) for the Coast Guard to step in and order boats to anchor?
As far as I know the Coast Guard can only issue a Captain of the Port (COTP) order to stop a ship in a situation where the vessel is deemed unsafe or unseaworthy to to structural, mechanical, or lifesaving/safety deficiencies. The Master of the vessel is always presumed to be the ultimate authority and best suited to make decisions regarding the safety of the crew and vessel.

Don't assume that the H. Lee White is only making 4 kph because the waves or winds are that bad. She is likely killing time waiting for the weather to change and/or is not in good holding ground to anchor.
Dawn

Gale warning protocol

Unread post by Dawn »

With so many boats going to anchor, especially from DeTour to Duluth, it's interesting to see H. Lee White (Superior) creeping along at 4 kph, between Marquette and the Keweenaw. I realize going to anchor is the captain's decision but is there protocol (in a weather event similar to the storm of 1913) for the Coast Guard to step in and order boats to anchor?