Uss/Great Lakes fleet

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Darryl

Re: Uss/Great Lakes fleet

Unread post by Darryl »

As per USS ownership of their own fleet comment. Maybe the future is Cliffs owning their own fleet; and US Steel going back to an in-house fleet. In some ways it may make sense
DCN

Unread post by DCN »

I too have wondered why less ships seem to spend the winters in the Twin Ports in recent years than in years past, and while I have no inside information as to why a company chooses to lay up a vessel one place over another (excluding the need for dry docking which limits the choices somewhat), my main theory is that if it is a winter turns out to have light ice cover there is then the potential to get the boats out early and moving cargo on the lower lakes where as they would be "trapped" on Lake Superior until the locks open. On the other hand having boats staged where they can get those first cargos down Lake Superior and to the mills or power plants or wherever as soon as the locks open may be an advantage in itself.

DCN
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bulldog wrote:Uss/Great Lakes fleet of key lakes fleet is located in Duluth,mn yet none of their ships ever layup in the twin ports area anymore what is the reason for this? They used to always layup the gott,speer,blough and the triple a’s in the twin ports and on a few occasions the presque isle as well. Now all the fleets ships layup in Toledo and sturgeon bay and the presque isle in Erie as per usual. Any info is appreciated. Tia
It hasn't been USS/Great Lakes Fleet for years. USS isn't in the ownership picture.
Bulldog

Uss/Great Lakes fleet

Unread post by Bulldog »

Uss/Great Lakes fleet of key lakes fleet is located in Duluth,mn yet none of their ships ever layup in the twin ports area anymore what is the reason for this? They used to always layup the gott,speer,blough and the triple a’s in the twin ports and on a few occasions the presque isle as well. Now all the fleets ships layup in Toledo and sturgeon bay and the presque isle in Erie as per usual. Any info is appreciated. Tia