Do captains get time off during the shipping season?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
6n6

Re: Do captains get time off during the shipping season?

Unread post by 6n6 »

Don't know where this 60/20 for the crew comes from. When I was there 4 months was the least amount of time one had before vacation.
I've seen sailors have to stay out as long as 6 months straight.

Unread post by guest »

I've worked on Lakers for the last 7 years. With our company, most Captains sign a contract in the winter setting out how many days they are going to work in a season. Usually it normal for them to work 2 months on, 1 month off. Some have 6 week/6 week rotations, but that is seen more in engine room staff as they work more during lay up. So majority of the Captains work approx. 185 days a year. Most officers also do the same sort of leave system, if there are reliefs available.
As for working hours, it depends on the country. If you are asking about a Canadian company, the Canada Labor Code, Canada Shipping Act and Marine Occupational Health and Safety regulations apply.
Currently, I believe the limit to work is 16 hours in a 24 hour period, providing 6 hours of continuous rest is given in that period. Under SOLAS and Manila amendments, this is reduced to 14 hours, however, there is a loophole and many Lakers are not SOLAS class therefore abide national regulations.
Personally, as a 1st Mate I log a 16 hours day 2-3 times a week, and a minimum working days is usually no less than 10-12 hours.
WA 4659

Unread post by WA 4659 »

Used to be on the American side....

60/30 - Officers and Captains/Chiefs

60/20 - Unlicensed crew

60 days of work, 30 off, or 60 days of work, 20 off, plus lay up.

Unread post by Guest »

bhale849 wrote: From these and other experiences. I assume captains have 2 four-week vacations per year.7df
So they would get 8 weeks off plus whatever time the boat is laid up in winter?
Or in layup time do they have office work/administrative duties to perform?

Unread post by Guest »

If I remember correctly, last year when the PRT grounded, the Capt. was on vacation.
bhale849

Unread post by bhale849 »

I remember in 1979, Captain Schultz was the capt. of the Str. Wilfred Sykes. In most of June, he was on vacation. His "Relief Captain" was Richard Black (normally captain of a smaller Inland Steel ship). In late July or Mid-August (I think), he took another 4 weeks off. This time our regular 1st Mate - Larry Wallace - was relief captain.
In 1980 Mr. Wallace was Relief Captain for 4 weeks in June-July on the Str. Phillip D. Block. Her regular Captain was Richard Black.
Much later, on the MV. James R.. Barker our regular captain - Capt. Buonocore (a good, knowledgable Interlake captain who, unfortunately, passed on in 2006) was on a four-week vacation in May-June of 2004. From these and other experiences. I assume captains have 2 four-week vacations per year.7df
Lakercapt

Unread post by Lakercapt »

RCRV wrote:Do the captains of the big bulk carrier lake boats get to take any vacation during the shipping season or do they work 7 days a week straight through to layup?

Do they have a limit on hours on duty during the work week like a truck driver would have?
Yes they get vacation time and it is normally twice during the season.

As for hours worked, there is no limit (I am sure many would wish it were so as some trips down the seaway tended to be prolonged.)
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

Captains,Chiefs, and the other officers do get time off during the season though I don't think that it's the 60/20 that the unlicensed personnel do.
hayhugh2

Unread post by hayhugh2 »

Captains are considered part of Management and are salaried employees.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yes, the captains do get a certain amount of vacation time off and away from the ship. I am not sure how much time they get off but, they are do different for vacations than you or I are.
RCRV

Do captains get time off during the shipping season?

Unread post by RCRV »

Do the captains of the big bulk carrier lake boats get to take any vacation during the shipping season or do they work 7 days a week straight through to layup?

Do they have a limit on hours on duty during the work week like a truck driver would have?