Roger Blough

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
bhale849

Re: Roger Blough

Unread post by bhale849 »

Brian Ferguson wrote:After working on other self-unloaders it was surprising how "typical" the Blough was of older ships. She's laid out very similar to the AAA's and other 1950's ships but with diesels and the incline belts. Even the pilot house looks more "classic" than other self-unloaders.
merry christmas, all of you boatnerds!!
thank god for us steel. although they no longer own the mv. roger blough, they planned and had built a strong, traditional laker. look at that pilothouse. a real wheelstand. look closer - an engine telegraph (chadburn) on a diesel!! i had a friend from glma who spent some months on her. luxurious, great food, built like the rock of gibraltar. whenever i see her, i feel all is not lost. some shipping companies still still spend money to build a solid, attractive laker. interlake is the same way. elevators on all of their footers. attractive (not the blocky, sturgeon bay-style) accommodation houses. finished ceilings & walls (no exposed piping or conduit) in the cabins. it's nice to know that all newer ships aren't of the "bare bones" design or constructed for a short lifetime.
Brian Ferguson

Unread post by Brian Ferguson »

After working on other self-unloaders it was surprising how "typical" the Blough was of older ships. She's laid out very similar to the AAA's and other 1950's ships but with diesels and the incline belts. Even the pilot house looks more "classic" than other self-unloaders

ML

Unread post by ML »

Scott wrote:It was mentioned that the Blough has a "unique" unloading system, that this system somehow meanders around the engine room area? My question is, are there any plans or drawings showing her unique belt system?
Scott.......

This may help a little............
Attachments
img011.jpg
img011.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
Red neck

Unread post by Red neck »

Guest wrote:I believe that the Cort's unloading gear some serious delays in getting the ship operational after it was built. I have never heard of any significant problems with it since, so I assume that it has proven reliable. It would be interesting to hear if I'm mistaken. I believe that the unloading wheel and its associated components in the Cort's unloading equipment dictated the shape of the after deckhouse. I also recall hearing in the early 1980s the Cort's cabin arrangement being described as a factory at the stern and an apartment building at the bow.
If this helps the cort has no living quarters aft. the aft structure is only machinery spaces and the windows in the front of the aft structure are the unloading control room. All living spaces are forward.

Unread post by Guest »

I believe that the Cort's unloading gear some serious delays in getting the ship operational after it was built. I have never heard of any significant problems with it since, so I assume that it has proven reliable. It would be interesting to hear if I'm mistaken. I believe that the unloading wheel and its associated components in the Cort's unloading equipment dictated the shape of the after deckhouse. I also recall hearing in the early 1980s the Cort's cabin arrangement being described as a factory at the stern and an apartment building at the bow.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Impressive engineering. I'm also interested in the Corts large wheel unloader. There are some schematics of that somewhere in the information search page. Thanks.
ebs

Unread post by ebs »

It's a pretty standard incline. The trunk inclines over the engines to the two aft hoppers. The ore flows onto a transverse reversible transfer belt which is above the shuttle.
Scott

Roger Blough

Unread post by Scott »

It was mentioned that the Blough has a "unique" unloading system, that this system somehow meanders around the engine room area? My question is, are there any plans or drawings showing her unique belt system?