Denny's 1st Story

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Marc

Re: Denny's 1st Story

Unread post by Marc »

Lots of coincidence's with my life. I was born in 71 and my father retired after 29 years from Chrysler Sterling Stamping in 1995. He died in 06.
I grew up going on summer weekend trips to "up north Michigan" to Crystal Lake and the UP.
What a great upbringing I had in Michigan! At age 7 I used to build freighters out of 2x4s and sail them in the ditches in my subdivision. 21 years later I got to work for 4 years on freighters.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Marc and thanks for your comments and glad to see and hear that you enjoyed my story. I would say my first Soo experience was in 1981 when I was only 9 at the time and it may have been mentioned in my first story not sure? At that time my Dad was also still working for Ford and he did not retire until Fall of 1996 so we would usually always try to make a trip up north and visit the Soo usually once a year for a few days while he was off and the plants were on their summer shutdowns. I recall from looking at photos that I think it was around 1986 or so when we went back their again for a few days. Back then of course I was not into the hobby and interest of shipwatching and boatnerding like I am of course today. After the 1986 brief trip, we then started taking regular trips mostly every year from 1988 or 1989 until 2006 on a regular basis every year at that point. My birthday is in early July so we would try to plan the Soo trips around that time and Yes, I've been at the Soo as well for a few Engineer's Day stuff with the last one being in 2000! After the 2006 Soo trip, my health along with my Mom's took a turn south and unfortunately we don't make it up their as much as we would like and now hate to say and admit it though my days of going there may be done and over! Just wish that it was not so far from my home as it is more than 300 miles and at least 5-6 hour drive and No I can't drive that far as my folks used to do the driving. My Mom's health now I don't think would permit and allow her to make that long drive up there and back and even out to Whitefish Point is a drive in itself from the Soo! The last time I was up to Whitefish was back in 2002 with my Dad shortly before he passed away in 2005. I will always remember the times with him and my Mom as well up to the Soo and will treasure those trips and memories forever along with meeting and seeing old friends and new ones. The staff at the Vistor's Center at the Soo were also always friendly and nice to me and family and I miss them as well. Sorry for the long response and hope this answers your question.
Marc

Unread post by Marc »

Hi Denny, I enjoyed your story. What year was your first Soo experience?

Unread post by Guest »

Keep them coming Denny!
Jiffy

Unread post by Jiffy »

Bravo Denny! I can't wait to keep reading them!
Denny

Denny's 1st Story

Unread post by Denny »

Not sure where to put this topic so sorry if it is in the wrong place. Okay boatnerds many have asked me to do stories on how I got to the point of where I am today as far as a boatnerd and so without further adieu I will give you one to start with today. I just ask all of you though to be patient as I may go awhile without doing some of these stories and No I don't plan to write any books or have these posted but, perhaps if we all ask the moderators at boatnerd then maybe they could possibly make a seperate area somewhere to have them along with Captain Metz stories as well. Taking nothing away from the great Captain Metz of course but I will call and name my stories "Bluewater Memories although some may be from the Soo but for the most part they will be Blue Water Memories by Denny!" So sit back grab a snack and favorite beverage as off we go on my first story for all of you.

My family and I first took me to the Soo when I was about 9 years old I would say and guess? At that time I didn't know anything about the freighters or ships or legends like the late Tom Manse and our current captain Roger Le Lievre of today's Know Your Ships book. Well it just so happened that one day up at the Soo, my family and I rode the Soo Locks Tour Boat and I overheard this song being played. It was warm and heartfelting and it really got to me. As we got done with our tour and pulled back into port at the Soo, I then asked the crew of our boat "What was that song that was being played over the P.A. system?" They then told me it was the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot and from that moment on, I was hooked on the Fitzgerald's legacy and the legend as well!" Later on, they took me into the Soo Locks Boat Tours offices where I then later met the Mayor of the Soo and I explained to him about the Wreck of the Fitzgerald song and who wrote it. He then told me more about it and then he invited me into his office where he then gave me a black and white photo of the Edmund Fitzgerald sort of like a sketch drawing of her if you know what I mean? Unfortunately I no longer have that drawing but will always have the memories of that day for as long as I live. The Mayor also gave me believe it or not "The Key to the City that day as well!" Later on sometime in the early 1980's I then went to my record shop and purchased a copy of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald on 45 RPM and still have it today in my record collection and will never ever get rid of it period! Once though in the early 2000's I took the record with my Dad on our vacation to the Soo as I wanted to give it to Whitefish Point as part of their Fitz exhibit up there. Later they told me "We cannot except your generous gift as we already have more than enough for our Fitzgerald exhibit now!" I am glad that they didn't take the record as it might have gotten tossed around put in a box or worse thrown in a back room or into the trash somewhere. At that time at least, I just felt that they needed more to the Fitz exhibit and I thought the record would be perfect for them. But, at least they play it on their PA system so I am happy about that. And that is how I started out at the Soo and how I became hooked on the Fitzgerald legacy. Each year now I play the song and ring a bell to remember her lost crew and pray for them and their families and also turn on my lighthouses as well. Hope that you all like this story as I will have more to come soon.