What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Darryl

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Darryl »

You got excellent shots of two I worked on back in the day: The Presque Isle, and the Republic. The PI photo looks like the framed photo of her that hung in THE SIU Hall in Duluth. When the Hall closed, I got the picture.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Slowly gaining smoother movement and stability so can enjoy spending a little more time with my camera, at the river.
Attachments
The little tug that could, Duluth (Chicago) at Marysville.
The little tug that could, Duluth (Chicago) at Marysville.
Tug Duluth and two barges.
Tug Duluth and two barges.
Algoma Niagara (Hamilton) making the big curve above Marysville.
Algoma Niagara (Hamilton) making the big curve above Marysville.
Tug Joyce L. VanEnkevort (Stoneport) pushes barge Great Lakes Trader through Chemical Valley. She was the first "modern" tug my late son and I ever saw (Huron, OH 2004) and we always referred to the design as "ET."
Tug Joyce L. VanEnkevort (Stoneport) pushes barge Great Lakes Trader through Chemical Valley. She was the first "modern" tug my late son and I ever saw (Huron, OH 2004) and we always referred to the design as "ET."
Saltie BBC Swift with windmill blades for Duluth.
Saltie BBC Swift with windmill blades for Duluth.
Tug/barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) off Stag Island. The overall length of this vessel is 1,000 ft.
Tug/barge Presque Isle (Two Harbors) off Stag Island. The overall length of this vessel is 1,000 ft.
Great Republic (Calcite) follows in fleet-mate's wake.
Great Republic (Calcite) follows in fleet-mate's wake.
Tanker Damia Desgagnes at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Tanker Damia Desgagnes at the lower Sarnia Fuel Dock.
Bookworm

Photos from Tuesday, June 23, 2020. At this point, their destinations are irrelevant.
Attachments
Gorgeous skies reflected in the water as saltie Comet enters the St. Clair River.
Gorgeous skies reflected in the water as saltie Comet enters the St. Clair River.
By the time saltie Comet reached Marysville, rain clouds moved in.
By the time saltie Comet reached Marysville, rain clouds moved in.
Mississagi coming off Lake Huron.
Mississagi coming off Lake Huron.
Herbert C. Jackson off Stag Island.
Herbert C. Jackson off Stag Island.
Atlantic Huron approaching Marysville.
Atlantic Huron approaching Marysville.
Atlantic Huron down-bound at Marysville.
Atlantic Huron down-bound at Marysville.
Bookworm

The thoughts and well wishes of my thread followers are also good medicine!
Mother believed that when an injury began itching, it was a sign of healing. If she was right, this will be a very short inconvenience. I'm doing the exercises prescribed by my doctor and have had no need for pain meds. Due to a blood clot ('89) I do take an aspirin a day.
Oh, and the earlier gap in postings was for a different reason. Eventually, I'll submit the photos still on my camera.
Blessings to all of you!

Unread post by Guest »

So Sorry to hear of the incident with the small dog. Starting on June 23 til June 27, I asked myself everyday where is "What to my wondering eyes". You were missed! I sure hope you heal fast!
mopar tim

Unread post by mopar tim »

Sorry to here that Dawn. I hope you feel better soon and are back at it.
Paul A

Unread post by Paul A »

I'm so sorry to hear that Dawn! I hope you'll heal up quickly.
In the mean time, I'll miss your pictures and I hope you can make it to more salute exchanges.
Bookworm

Yesterday, a very protective and determined small dog (which had an impressive array of teeth), literally threw itself against me, causing me to tumble down a neighbor's porch steps.
No broken bones but my left leg from thigh to ankle is painful and colorful. Thankfully, I didn't have a head injury and, some time ago, invested in a 4-footed cane.
No more "shooting ships" for awhile, although I couldn't resist going to the river just to hear Mesabi Miner (Ashtabula) and PRT (Duluth) exchange salutes a few minutes ago. Really GOOD medicine!
Bookworm

A most unusual day on the St. Clair River with the transit of USG-19 (to be named St. Louis) in late afternoon and, after finally coming out of lay-up, American Integrity made her first appearance in the 2020-21 shipping season.
Attachments
USG-19 coming off Lake Huron.
USG-19 coming off Lake Huron.
Crew
Crew
Below Marysville.
Below Marysville.
2020-06-21c USG-19.jpg
2020-06-21d USG-19.jpg
American Integrity (Conneaut) at St. Clair.
American Integrity (Conneaut) at St. Clair.
Tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder (Detroit) glide past Stag Island.
Tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder (Detroit) glide past Stag Island.
Bookworm

Before the heat wave arrived!
Attachments
Fraserborg (Montreal) begins my thirty minutes of ship shooting.
Fraserborg (Montreal) begins my thirty minutes of ship shooting.
Fraserborg and Beatrix meet above Stag Island.
Fraserborg and Beatrix meet above Stag Island.
Saltie Beatrix (Chicago) at Marysville.
Saltie Beatrix (Chicago) at Marysville.
CCG Caribou Cove on maneuvers on the Canadian side.
CCG Caribou Cove on maneuvers on the Canadian side.
Lake Ontario (Thunder Bay) approaches Marysville.
Lake Ontario (Thunder Bay) approaches Marysville.
Bookworm

Another great day for photographing activity on the St. Clair River.
Attachments
Tug Dorothy Ann discharging cargo from her barge Pathfinder, at the Marine City stone facility.
Tug Dorothy Ann discharging cargo from her barge Pathfinder, at the Marine City stone facility.
Tug Dorothy Ann in more detail.
Tug Dorothy Ann in more detail.
James R. Barker (Superior) passing the River Crab dock. Wind and water have really taken a toll on it.
James R. Barker (Superior) passing the River Crab dock. Wind and water have really taken a toll on it.
One very long freighter!
One very long freighter!
Great Republic (Calcite) at Stag Island, adds color to the morning.
Great Republic (Calcite) at Stag Island, adds color to the morning.
Whitefish Bay (Chicago) at Marysville. Her crew had to be very vigilant because of the jet skiers playing all around her.
Whitefish Bay (Chicago) at Marysville. Her crew had to be very vigilant because of the jet skiers playing all around her.
Tanker Algonorth off Stag Island, returning to Sarnia.
Tanker Algonorth off Stag Island, returning to Sarnia.
Kaministiqua (Sorel) passing Marysville at dinner/supper time.
Kaministiqua (Sorel) passing Marysville at dinner/supper time.

Unread post by Guest »

Thanks Bookworm, I know exactly where you are talking about and have been by that location countless times but have never stopped there. I will have to remember this the next time I'm in the area and there is a boat unloading at the Marysville dock.
Bookworm

Guest wrote:Hello Bookworm. Could you tell me what is your vantage point that you took the picture of the American Courage at Marysville's Blue Water Aggregates Dock?
From about the middle of the Moose Lodge parking lot. Being above where the river makes a wide curve, you have a clear shot, but because of the distance, it requires a good zoom lens.

Unread post by Guest »

Hello Bookworm. Could you tell me what is your vantage point that you took the picture of the American Courage at Marysville's Blue Water Aggregates Dock?
Bookworm

An afternoon of unexpected surprises along the St. Clair River.
Attachments
Tug Leo A. McArthur and asphalt barge John J. Carrick at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
Tug Leo A. McArthur and asphalt barge John J. Carrick at the lower Sarnia fuel dock.
American Courage at Bluewater Aggregates facility, in Marysville.
American Courage at Bluewater Aggregates facility, in Marysville.
Saltie Rodopi (Thunder Bay) passing Stag Island.
Saltie Rodopi (Thunder Bay) passing Stag Island.
A first time for me to see two vessels discharging cargo at the Marine City stone facility.
A first time for me to see two vessels discharging cargo at the Marine City stone facility.
Callaway's boom with Victory's tower in the background.
Callaway's boom with Victory's tower in the background.
Cason J. Callaway up close and personal.
Cason J. Callaway up close and personal.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee from afar.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee from afar.
A lot of man and machine power go into creating these mounds!
A lot of man and machine power go into creating these mounds!
This marker made clear the Michigan connection to Titanic. The names of individuals and (apparently) entire families bound to Benton Harbor, Calumet, Chelsea, Detroit, Dowagiac, Gladstone, Halley (Holly?), Hancock, Houghton,Iron Mountain, Manistee, Pontiac, Port Huron and Sault Ste. Marie are listed.
This marker made clear the Michigan connection to Titanic. The names of individuals and (apparently) entire families bound to Benton Harbor, Calumet, Chelsea, Detroit, Dowagiac, Gladstone, Halley (Holly?), Hancock, Houghton,Iron Mountain, Manistee, Pontiac, Port Huron and Sault Ste. Marie are listed.
Bookworm

River traffic at a steady flow -- especially yesterday evening, when I captured four up-bounders and one down, within 20 minutes!
Attachments
Now serving light snacks and refreshments on our patio deck, located on the bow...
Now serving light snacks and refreshments on our patio deck, located on the bow...
Indiana Harbor (Ashtabula) at Stag Island.
Indiana Harbor (Ashtabula) at Stag Island.
Algoma Conveyor was headed down river but made a quick turn around and was at Goderich last night.
Algoma Conveyor was headed down river but made a quick turn around and was at Goderich last night.
Michipicoten (Marquette) built in 1952, first carried the name of Elton Hoyt-2.
Michipicoten (Marquette) built in 1952, first carried the name of Elton Hoyt-2.
Following close behind, Ojibway (Two Harbors) was also built in 1952, but  has had multiple name changes.
Following close behind, Ojibway (Two Harbors) was also built in 1952, but has had multiple name changes.
Edgar B. Speer (Two Harbors) draws attention from pleasure craft along the way.
Edgar B. Speer (Two Harbors) draws attention from pleasure craft along the way.
Fleet-mate Arthur M. Anderson (Calcite) with a frothy bow wake.
Fleet-mate Arthur M. Anderson (Calcite) with a frothy bow wake.
Frontenac (Nanticoke) leaves Chemical Valley behind.
Frontenac (Nanticoke) leaves Chemical Valley behind.

Unread post by Guest »

What I surprise to my wandering eye -- a special message at the Bean Dock Electronic Sign -- Congratulations Dawn C Roberts!!
Bookworm

Yesterday's traffic was recorded in two segments, and Paul R. Tregurtha provided the most interesting. At Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse Park, a couple and several children from southern Ohio were heading back to the car when a, huge, moving bow caught the attention of one of them. Someone gasped...everyone turned...cell phones began clicking... questions flew through the air... When they learned their very first ever sighting of a Great Lakes ship was one over 1,000 feet long and the Queen of the Lakes...
Attachments
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) passing the sandy beach at Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse Park.
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) passing the sandy beach at Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse Park.
Cason J. Callaway (Detroit) off Stag Island.
Cason J. Callaway (Detroit) off Stag Island.
USCG boat making waves as she responds to a call from a pleasure craft.
USCG boat making waves as she responds to a call from a pleasure craft.
Tanker Algonorth at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. She slipped out during the early morning hours with a destination of Nanticoke.
Tanker Algonorth at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. She slipped out during the early morning hours with a destination of Nanticoke.
Traveling between Port Huron and Marysville, on Gratiot Avenue, there are both upper and lower viewing areas of the river and tankers at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. Occasionally, a tug/barge is docked here, as well.
Traveling between Port Huron and Marysville, on Gratiot Avenue, there are both upper and lower viewing areas of the river and tankers at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. Occasionally, a tug/barge is docked here, as well.
Bookworm

Winds have died down and the river is again calm and peaceful.
Attachments
Saltie Nadja, with a load of windmill blades destined for Thunder Bay.
Saltie Nadja, with a load of windmill blades destined for Thunder Bay.
Twilight colors the skies as Edgar B. Speer (Conneaut) passes Chemical Valley.
Twilight colors the skies as Edgar B. Speer (Conneaut) passes Chemical Valley.
Mesabi Miner (Superior) above Stag Island.
Mesabi Miner (Superior) above Stag Island.
Fleet-mates Mesabi Miner and Kaye E. Barker meeting in Chemical Valley.
Fleet-mates Mesabi Miner and Kaye E. Barker meeting in Chemical Valley.
Kaye E. Barker (767') and Mesabi Miner (1,004') passing
Kaye E. Barker (767') and Mesabi Miner (1,004') passing
Kaye E. Barker (Toledo) approaches Marysville.
Kaye E. Barker (Toledo) approaches Marysville.
Bookworm

Lots of saltie traffic, with an occasional freighter or tanker, on the St. Clair River these days.
Attachments
Algoma Innovator (Goderich) at Marysville.
Algoma Innovator (Goderich) at Marysville.
Irma (Gibraltar) leaves Marysville behind.
Irma (Gibraltar) leaves Marysville behind.
Minutes later, Federal Hudson (Montreal) follows Irma -- as AIS indicates they're still doing 24 hours later.
Minutes later, Federal Hudson (Montreal) follows Irma -- as AIS indicates they're still doing 24 hours later.
Ruddy (Thunder Bay) airing her cargo holds at the upper end of Stag Island.
Ruddy (Thunder Bay) airing her cargo holds at the upper end of Stag Island.