Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Howard Sprague

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

So happy to hear that you got a salute from Captain Bobby on the big PRT, Denny! Take care and stay warm my friend as the weather we are having is supposed to be terrible.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello everyone and here is another update for you all from the crew of "Autumn Thunder" as we were back at it yet again on the St. Clair River yesterday and the first time that we had done one on a Wednesday this year as well. We ended up with 7 ships on the river yesterday and 3 of them were ones that we had not seen all season long. Here's what we had yesterday as far as traffic on the river listed below you will find a short list of who we saw out there.

Nomadic Hjellestad down in Marine City
Baie Comeau down in Marine City
Olive L. Moore/Menominee up in St. Clair
Algoway down in St. Clair with two salutes thanks to my flag!
Frontenac down in St. Clair first time I saw her in 2017!
Federal Asahi down in St. Clair
Algoma Mariner down in St. Clair

Was hoping to make it up to Port Huron to see the Thunder Bay from CSL loading at the Grain Elevator in Sarnia but, did not have the time to make it there which was a bummer since I had not seen the CSL Thunder Bay since the 2013 season out on the river!

So, here's a breakdown once again for everyone and all that may be following this post and reading it. For all time in 25 years I've now made the river 439 times and for the month of November now I've gone to the river 3 times not a record yet as the most that I have gone in November is four times. So depending on how you wish to view and look at this, since April 1st I've now made it to the river 18 times or as I consider it instead for myself and my own records I've made it 15 times since I started in mid-September of 2017. I think I've now gotten my November total for that month up to either 48 or 49 times for that month as far as going out to the river is concerned. For Wednesdays I've now made it on up there 59 times I think the number is? From the looks as well from my weather apps on my IPad, next week hate to even think about this boatnerds could possibly be the last and final curtain call for me and the Autumn Thunder tour of 2017? After the first half though of next week, it appears that reality may be starting to finally hit us as far as fall and winter like weather with lots of mix as far as rain and snow both and I am definitely not used to driving in any of that type of weather and usually by mid-November it seems that I am usually done for the season anyway. So, for any ships that I don't get to see in 2017 and there are still plenty of them at least now I have stuff to see out on the river for 2018. As I also said as well about the Algoma Niagara, if I don't get to see here in 2017 at least then this will give me something to look forward to going into 2018. With all of my success at the river in 2017, this will definitely help build some confidence in me going forward into the 2018 year as well since I will certainly need it! I would like to at least send along my appreciation and gratitude to all of yous for your advice, comments and words of encouragement as they have all been very helpful to me and you boatnerds and friends as well have all been helpful and uplifting to me during one of the most challenging and difficult times of my life. Thanks again everyone. God Bless and Keep the Faith as well and be Safe as well. 3 Long and 2 Short.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay boatnerds and folks I know it's been a while since I last had posted anything new on here as the Autumn Thunder crew has been hard at work and very busy this Autumn season. The crew was yet back at it again today hard at work. We do have reports for you all and we will begin first with today's trip to the river and voyage as well. Last week as most of you know, every year there is the All Saints and All Souls Day services respectively and I already mentioned how last week I took the responsibility upon myself at church services to light a candle in memory of my late Mother who past away back in mid-August. Well today was yet another one of those hard and emotional days as well. While at the river today, as the Paul R. Tregurtha was upbound in both St. Clair and Marysville I gave a fitting tribute by tossing flowers into the river for both of my parents as I did the same after my late Father passed away in 2005 and I wanted to do the same for my Mom and my Dad too. Well, I didn't have any luck in trying to get the PRT to salute for both my Mom and Dad in St. Clair and Marysville. So, now it was in Port Huron that something magical FINALLY happened as it was there that Captain Bob must have seen me along with the flowers that I had tossed into the river there as he acknowledged me and gave me a very heartfelt, touching and warm salute to which I also dedicated in memory of my late Mother and Father and was so happy to have gotten a salute from Captain Bob and the Big Paul as well for both of them. So if Captain Bob or anyone from the PRT is reading this, I wish to thank them for taking the time while at Port Huron today and giving me a salute for my parents as that was very touching and moving I cannot thank Captain Bob enough for that wonderful and fantastic salute! Now I know how all of you feel now whenever you see the PRT and Captain Bob and he blows a salute for you all. Later on today as it got close to suppertime, the Lee A. Tregurtha was downbound and we got her while she was in Marysville. Can you believe this was the first time I saw her at least since the 2013 season? She certainly looked good today and now with that new scrubber system that is the first time that I saw her with that as well. So now all I have left to see from Interlake is the James R. Barker and Mesabi Miner for 2017 and I will have then seen all of the Interlake ships for this year. Hopefully I will get to see them both but, don't have much more time left in 2017 to see them and the Barker seems to be running a lot here lately to Indiana Harbor while the Mesabi Miner has been making trips down here lately I end up always missing her! So, for the 2017 season I have now made the river 17 times since April 1 to which that now equals my entire year total from 2015. However the way I see it, I've made 14 runs since I first started officially back in September. For the records I've made 438 runs to the river now in 25 years and YES we did set a new monthly record for October with 8 trips the most ever for October by two from 2007 and with the eight trips for October, that is the best ever and highest for any month that I've ever gone to the river. So to break it all down for you at least here is the Autumn Thunder totals by the month for you all with September at four and October with eight and now November so far with two at least hoping to add to that total. It was also a very nice day to go up and take pictures around the Lighthouse at Fort Gratiot today and I ended up with some very nice photos of that as well. So, overall it was another great day but slow again on the river. I will provide more updates and reports in the coming days ahead. Stay tuned for those reports. God Bless and be Safe!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks as always for kind words and comments Howard as they are always appreciated. Yes I agree with you as it certainly would be nice to see the PRT again and get a salute from Captain Bob but, since he has taken over ad skipper back in 2015 I have not had too good of luck getting salutes. When he was on the JRB before taking over on the PRT in 2015, I did not get many salutes either from him at that time. Not sure how true this is but, I've heard different stories where for some reason the ships and their captains just don't blow as many salutes as they used to! I guess too many local folks have complained to the Coast Guard about them blowing and the CG now has told them to back off a bit! Again I don't know how true all this is but at one time this is what I was once told. I am hoping beyond hope to see the PRT at some point again this year but, now I'm running out of time with only a few short weeks left for me as far as going up to the river as generally I end my seasons around Thanksgiving at least that is what I target. At that point, the weather here is changing and also getting much colder! I have no winter driving experience thus my parents when they were alive never would let me drive to the river in the winter due to the unpredictable weather. I also don't have any one to take me up there either during the winter months. So it is now or never time for me and the ships out there. Right now I am doing the best that I can and taking each day and step at a time as that is all I can do at this point. Depending on how you look at it for 2017, I made the river 16 times or since September 13 when I consider that to be my starting point. I've made the river once so far this month and I usually don't go beyond 4 trips in November due to the weather and the last time I had 4 in November was in 2013 so it has been a while and we'll see how it goes and what happens. Thanks everyone!
Marc

Unread post by Marc »

If you are quiet you can hear the Niagara rust.
Howard Sprague

Well Denny I am happy to see that Autumn Thunder is in full force for you and that you are enjoying your time on the river. Supposedly, the Algoma Niagara will pass upbound in the Welland Canal on November 8. If she continues straight up through to the St. Clair River perhaps you will get to see her at the end of next week. You take care my friend and that was a very touching gesture for you to dedicate the salute from Big Indy to your parents. Perhaps soon you will get one from "Captain Bobby on the Big Paul" and can dedicate that to them as well!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let you all know that Autumn Thunder and their crews were out in full force during the month of October 2017 and were back at it again today Friday, November 3, 2017 as well out along the St. Clair River today. However, I am still going to keep many of you followers and faithful in suspense as far as what we have been doing and seeing lately. I will say a few things though about today's trip at least though and that is we got nine ships out there today and with four of them being ones I have not seen all season long in 2017! One of the ships we saw the Baie Comeau it was the first time ever going upbound as we've seen her going downbound before. Also, we got one salute today and dedicated it to my late parents from the Indiana Harbor. It was truly nice of the Big Indy's skipper to blow one as I know he was busy watching out at the same time for the upbound Algoma Enterprise to pass just below St. Clair. So, a huge and hearty thank you along with my 3 Long and 2 Short salute right back at you Big Indy and the captain of her as well! The salute from the Indy was really special for me as yesterday was the All Souls' Day and on November 1st every year it is All Saints' Day as well. The point is, yesterday they had a mass for my Mom as part of the departed souls from our church and parish. At our church, a family member is allowed to light a candle for their departed loved one! Well after doing the eulogy at my Mom's funeral for her, take a wild guess then as to who it was that lit the candle last night? You guess right if you said it was me and I know that both my parents especially my Mom would've been very proud of me and that moment as well! So, I'm having a very good and fantastic fall season on the river for my 25th season and I will hate to see it come to an end at some point this month as I don't do any driving in the winter months since I am not used to doing anything like that. So, I am trying to enjoy what little bit of time I have left out there this month while I can as I know it will be a very hard and difficult day for me when the last and final trip is made for the 2017 season! However, I have no complaints and no regrets either and if I could do it over and change anything no way would I change a thing or ask to see this boat or that one that I did not see in 2017! At least that way I know that there will be at least some ships yet to see for the 2018 season that I don't see in 2017. So thanks everyone for your support and God Bless and stay safe!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Howard but, unfortunately I will not be able now to send in any further updates or details for quite some time now as I ran into a few problems and issues today with my work around here thus it will take me longer than I had anticipated now in order to complete my work that I've been doing for the past week to ten days so I am sorry to say to you and others reading and following this post that any updates now will be delayed indefinitely while I work on trying to get my work done here. Thanks for your support folks!
Howard Sprague

I personally cannot wait to read your update on your Autumn Thunder tour Denny and see that you broke the record for most river trips in one month. Take care my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just letting anyone know that has been reading and following my daily updates and reports here, I continue to ask for your patience and understanding as I am still extremely busy trying to get caught up on things since I've been busy with my travels up along and to the St. Clair River this month. I will try to send an update with new news and reports to all of you hopefully sometime on Halloween or on November 1st. Thanks for your patience and keep on hanging in there as I should have a new update up here sometime next week! Thanks again and God Bless and Keep the Faith and 3 Long 2 Short.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let you all know, at some point whenever I can find and have any type of spare time on my hands I will provide to you all a new update on our Autumn Thunder tour on the river. I have new updates that I will provide but, in order to do so I ask please for your patience as I've been beyond busy for at least the past week or so. Last week I did two river trips and was out of town for the whole entire weekend and I've fallen way behind on my work here at home as well. So, I'm fighting a losing battle and war right now as far as trying to get caught up on things. Again, I ask for your patience with me for at least the next week or two as I will soon have all new updates here for you all to read. Thanks everyone!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Bookworm for your always encouraging words along with your comments as well as they are much appreciated. Glad to see and hear about you and your reports as well and hope that you are doing well also. I've read your reports and seen your tribute as well to your soon Mike and I also agree with everyone else here as that was very moving and touching to see him so loved and honored in that way and remembered as he will forever be an angel to you and be your Wind Beneath Your Wings! Just to let you along with many others know though, as promised was at the river today and although it was yet another slow day been having way too many of those days lately I did get lucky and see some good boats today with the few that were on the river. Let's begin first today with the Saginaw as we got her downbound late morning at the Bridge in Port Huron and got some nice shots of her. Then, the best was yet to come as the last few years I have been waiting patiently to see the Algoway upbound. Well today it FINALLY happened as she was indeed upbound and we got her in Port Huron at the Bridge and got tons of photos with the Algoma Central Corporation bow logos just as I was hoping for! It is sad though to see the condition that she is in from all the years of hauling salt but, she served her owners well in 45 years of service on the lakes and seaway. So I say to her, 3 Long and 2 Short and God Speed 'ole friend as soon it will be time for your rest as you've earned and deserve it through your hard work over the years. Later toward supper time we also got the CSL Welland upbound in spectacular lighting toward the dinner hour tonight. So overall, although it was slow at least we got very lucky and still had a great day and that's what my Autumn Thunder is all about! Now we've made the river 6 times for October tying the number set back in 2007 also with six trips in October for that year at least. Now, we look to tie the most trips ever in a month with 7 and that number will come this week. Next weeks' weather as far as I know at least anyway, it set to change and get much cooler so we are taking full advantage of this while it lasts as we all know what's soon to come I hate to say it for our weather mainly when we get to November as well. Until then, I'm loving this folks!
Howard Sprague

I am so happy for you Denny that you are setting records out on the river! Now that you have gotten started there is no stopping you. I hope that you have many successful trips this week!
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny, recently my writing assignments have kept me from following ships and Boatnerd postings. This job is the most rewarding I've ever had. I interview couples who will be celebrating fifty or more years of marriage (so far the most has been 67 years) and then do a write-up of between 1,500 and 1,800 words to submit to the local paper. Yesterday I had two interviews and today another is scheduled. It gives me a chance to meet new people and share their unique life adventure, and gives them a chance to reminisce and recall the memories and people that have made them who they are. We do a lot of laughing together!
Now that I've read your up-dates, I can see that 2017 will go down as one of your most memorable years for seeing and photographing ships along the St. Clair River. I'm so glad it has turned out so well for you and expect it will only get better -- before winter takes over! Go safe and enjoy, my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let anyone who's been reading and following this post know and I do know that my good friend Howard Sprague has been one of many that's replied and responded but, I've also noticed that I have not seen or heard from many others lately in particular my good and dear friend Daniel McNeil along with another of my close and dear good friends Dawn Roberts or Bookworm! Well the Roar and Sound of the Thunder is getting much more violent and louder than ever for this week and IMO anyway, "The Autumn Thunder is getting even more ear deafening and shattering than the Thunder you would hear in you average Thunder storm." So why am I making such a big deal here you may ask? Because for the first time since 2007 I will have my best October out along the St. Clair River as this has been a long time coming for me and long overdue from years of struggling out on the St. Clair River. Also the most trips ever made in one single month to the river was 7 of them and this took place back in the mid-1990s so as you can see my term for Autumn Thunder is more than just me seeing Ships and getting salutes! It's means much more than that at least IMO anyway. It simply means going to the river, having fun and enjoying it while I can and seizing the moments and opportunities as the happen and occur! This month I'm on par and course to end up with the most trips ever in a month and I'm trying to take it all in and full advantage of this mild and nice weather while I can because we all know thus can't last forever unfortunately and what's to come at some point on our weather! By the end of this week I should have an incredible 7 trips in October to the river and for my run at 500 trips I should be at 435 with 65 left to go at 500. If you do the math on that stat though, this will take me about 6-7 more years to get to 500 on my journey there. So I ask for your support this week and now more than ever as you can simply tell me and say "Go For It and also to Go Get them Denny!" Believe me when I say folks that I'm Hungry for this and now I got my swagger back and the Eye of the Tiger as well! Sorry for a long post folks just keeping you all updated on here.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know that we set a recoord at the river which may never ever be broken. In 25 years of going to the river along with shipwatching, the most trips I've made is 2 in a week's time. However this week we ended up by doing 3 trips believe it or not in one week which is something that's never been done and may not ever be done again! For the season since April 1st I've now made it to the river 12 times but, since September when I officially started up I have made it 9 times. For September we made the river 4 times and for October, I've made it 5 times with still plenty of time left at least for this month to get in more of them. I believe the most trips that I have ever made was 7 in one month so anything is still possible yet at this time. On my quest for 500 river trips someday and a very long someday, I'm at 433 in total, what I consider ad All Day River Trips. In time, I will provide a short list of some that I saw for this week. One other stat, we've now made the river 73 times for October the most of any month! We've now made 129 Friday trips to add to the 100 Tuesday trips as well. So History and pages are still being written if you will and can say for my history on the St. Clair River for now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let ones know we were back at the river today but, gosh was it slow with a captital S for slow today. Believe it or not other than the Paul R. Tregurtha in St. Clair just before 10 A.M. for this morning at least, there was no other traffic other than the Algolake downbound just after the lunch hour today. So I tied a record at least for the least amount of ships seen in one day with only one I would call it with just the Algolake! The last time this event had ever happened to me was back in the early 1990s when I was just getting started, I had a similar day to where I only ended up with one ship the whole day which was the Reserve. I even had a close friend of mine today ask me the same question I was thinking as well "In the past couple of weeks why has the shipping traffic slowed down on the St. Clair River?" My answer was that I had no answer for him and that it just seemed strange and odd that it has been so slow especially considering now that we are into the Fall season and the Grain Rush time, I would've thought surely that the traffic would be heavier and picking up instead of slowing down. For the month of October though we've now made the river so far four times for the month equaling the September total which was also at four trips as well. Fortunately there's still some time left for me in October to add a few more to the total just so long as this weather continues to stay fairly decent and mild. Depending on how you want to look at the scenario, I've made the river now 11 times since April 1, 2017 or else as I consider it anyway I've made it out there 8 times for the year. One of my goals at least for the 2017 season is just to try and do well and as best as I can with taking one day, one step and also one river trip at a time as that is all I can do at this point. However, I just basically for now would at least like to have something good come out of 2017 so that this will give me the confidence I need in going forward into 2018 and also to have something to look forward to and build upon as well for the 2018 shipping season. As for my race to 500 trips along the St. Clair River someday, our total now is 432 with 68 more left to go until we hit the 500th ever river trip total. However, don't hold your breath there too much folks as this number will still take a great many more seasons and years yet to get to that point as it will not happen anytime soon for both this year or next year also. However, rest assured as it will happen someday and hopefully while I'm still in my 40s and young yet I hope and as long as I still got some good healthy days ahead of me as well. One final note for today's trip at least as we pulled into St. Clair this morning at around 10 A.M. give or take, we unfortunately just had missed the Paul R. Tregurtha headed down river by about maybe 15-25 or so minutes give or take. Fortunately we saw her back in September but it would've been nice to see her this morning especially since I say and consider it was close to my lucky number of 1013 and the fact that it was also close to October 13 to which I always consider that day and date as the PRT's homecoming event if you will on that note and subject. So that's my river news at least for now!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well the Autumn Thunder crew were back at it again today but, we need to change the tune here folks as Autumn Thunder needs to be called Autumn Silence instead as we are long overdue to get a few ships to blow a couple of salutes on the river. Today we tried to get them from both the Manitowoc and the Alpena to no avail which was slightly disappointing considering especially with the Alpena as we all know how sweet sounding that classic steam whistle of hers is yet we could not here any Thunder today from her or see any of that classic steam or hear her blow the wind and the pipes clean today! At least we got to see both the Manitowoc and the Alpena today among a few others which in total we ended up with 6 ships on the river which I guess isn't too bad but still a bit slow though IMO anyway. Here is who we ended up seeing as we got to see the Baie St. Paul for the first time in a few years and gosh she is now starting to look a tad on the nasty side probably from saltwater and a few salt cargoes as well. We also got the Algoma Harvester headed up to Sarnia today along with the Defiance and Ashtabula and the CCGS Private Robertson V.C. which was down during the late morning. Have not seen too many salties either on the river in quite a while as now I've gone into a mini dry spell lately with them on the river. The 1,000-footers are also on a major dry spell as well right now as I've yet to see American Century along with the James R. Barker, Mesabi Miner, American Spirit, Presque Isle and the Edwin H. Gott. The Gott though I don't think has made too many trips down here this year as she's been hauling lots of ore to Gary here as of late. Among the major company ships so far for this year, noticeably absent has been ones from the GLF fleet and the Interlake fleets as I've not seen too many from either of their respective companies. The GLF ships I've only seen so far this year have been the Callaway, Speer and Roger Blough and ones for the Interlake fleet have been the Dorothy Ann-Pathfinder along with the Herbert C. Jackson, Hon. James L. Oberstar among a few and the Paul R. Tregurtha. As you can see by my list, I still got lots to see and not too much more time left about a month maybe at the best for me before the 2017 season is done for me. I am also very long overdue to start having some busy days up there along the St. Clair River and hopefully the slowness will break soon and it starts to get busy soon for me. Still having fun and enjoying it.
Howard Sprague

I am glad to hear that you will be getting back to the river this week Denny! Please post a list of vessels you see so that we may all share in your joy.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay everyone and all boatnerds as you better get ready this week because I am coming back to the river this week and this time I am hoping to get a few more salutes for my 25th year of boatwatching and dedicating them as well to my folks. Lately though the salute business has gone silent but, this week I hope to change that big time as since we are now into October and the Fall Grain Rush time, I also say this is "The Hunt for Red October along the St. Clair River for me as well!" So for any ships on the Great Lakes/Seaway right now you are being watched like a hawk by me right now! Remember all that I once had a saying that this year and Fall season for me, I call it "Operation Autumn Thunder!" Well we've made the river so far twice this month but, as long as the weather stays nice and mild at least for this week anyway soon some will know the true meaning of just what Operation Autumn Thunder really is and all about. Until then I leave that for most of you to figure out. Happy Boatwatching you all!