Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Howard Sprague

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Well that's a very disappointing thing to here, Denny. I and many others here were hoping that you would resume your stories here for us to help us get through this time of trouble. We find this particularly disappointing given that tomorrow is "Mariner Day" which you say is the day it all began for you at the river.

We made our 16th river run yesterday and 17th today and got some great traffic both days. Yesterday was a hard day for us as we are used to spending Easter at preaching and then having supper with our friend Andy at his house with a large gathering of our good friends. Sadly we couldn't do that this year what with this crazy virus going around.

We know we speak for many others when we say that we hope you will reconsider your decision to stop posting updates, Denny. In the meantime we hope to see you at the river again someday in the future.
Darryl

Unread post by Darryl »

Thanks, Denny, for your updates! Like you said on another thread, this could be a tough year for shipping on the Great Lakes. Maybe we'll all, yourself included, have more to post if things get better in the near term. Darryl
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello to all boatnerds and friends. It is with deepest regret that I must inform and tell you that this will be my last and final report here on this post. I don't quite understand what's happened but I finally decided to give up posting updates and news from my trips to the St. Clair River. While I do not care to discuss my reasons at this time for no longer giving all of my dear and close friends any further news and updates, I can say with all honesty that I will miss many of you and publishing my stories for you all here as well. I was really looking forward to very soon giving you some new and updated news and stories this week and I will not hint as to what they were but only to say that they were good and I know what you would've liked and enjoy them. So at this time I would like to say and add that I'm thankful and grateful for so many friends that I have connected with through this post. Many of you were there when I need you most but now I feel the time has come to move on with things. So to find out about my river adventures, I guess now you will have to look and find me out on the river sometimes then. I do want to set my best and good wishes to all and many of you that have been friends with me through the years and to thank you for your kind and thoughtful words and comments. They are all and dear to me and appreciated. So good bye everyone!

Unread post by Guest »

Well Boatnerds just a quick update for you this evening; we've now made 15 trips to the river in 2020 and we're well on our way to our goal of 150 river runs. Today we were out to see the Muntgracht and Federal Biscay. We are staying safe and going out with our face mask when we do go so that we hopefully don't get germs. We are doing our best to avoid this crazy Coronavirus and we call Mother every day to make sure she is staying safe in Florida. I hope all of our friends here are staying safe.
Howard Sprague

Guest wrote:
Clyde S. VanEnkevort/Erie Trader was up on Lake Superior on Wednesday. Better check your days.
Yes you are right that would have been Monday. Sometimes the days run together.

Unread post by Guest »

Howard Sprague wrote:Well Boatnerds here's another quick update from your dear friend Howie before we head off to practice our social distancing and catch what traffic is moving on the river. We have been out for exercise on our bicycle three days in a row now and caught a whole bunch of ships. Yesterday we caught the Joseph H. Thompson and Frontenac, and the day before that we got the G3 Marquis. On Wednesday we got the Clyde VanEnkevort and Presque Isle. So far this makes seven runs to the river in our goal for 150. As long as this crazy virus doesn't get in our way, we'll make that goal easily. Howie is ready to party!
Clyde S. VanEnkevort/Erie Trader was up on Lake Superior on Wednesday. Better check your days.
Howard Sprague

Well Boatnerds here's another quick update from your dear friend Howie before we head off to practice our social distancing and catch what traffic is moving on the river. We have been out for exercise on our bicycle three days in a row now and caught a whole bunch of ships. Yesterday we caught the Joseph H. Thompson and Frontenac, and the day before that we got the G3 Marquis. On Wednesday we got the Clyde VanEnkevort and Presque Isle. So far this makes seven runs to the river in our goal for 150. As long as this crazy virus doesn't get in our way, we'll make that goal easily. Howie is ready to party!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay everyone as I'm sure some have questioned what happened to me late last year and during the shipping season and Winter Lay-Up time as I went "dead silent for a while!" Well, here is an update and recap for you as far as what happened. First, after having a rough and difficult first half of November due to weather issues I did make it back to the river for two trips on November 22 and again on November 25. The trip for the 22nd was very cold then a bit breezy as I frozed then! Without looking up my information, I recall seeing the Algoma Conveyor then and later on I also caught their fleetmate Algoma Harvester as well both of which headed upbound. I also caught the Edgar B. Speer upbound late in the day and in the morning I caught the tug Clyde S. VanEnkevort/Erie Trader as they were downbound. The best was yet to come though. Some of you may have heard of singer Vanessa Williams and her hit song Save the Best for Last. Well, other than the Paul R. Tregurtha of course what other ways to end the 2019 shipping season and a great decade of shipwatching out on the St. Clair River? Well, check it out and see for yourselves as we closed the year on a grand note. The grande finale if you will went down like this as I started off with the tug Olive L Moore/Menominee along with the Karen Andrie and Endeavour both down. Then it gets better as the Arthur M. Anderson came down and they gave me a thundering blow and salute with this their horn! Later on the Great Republic came up and we got them. But, the best was still yet to come! What a better way and end of 2019 then to go out with believe it or not a true classic than the Wilfred Sykes! Yup, the Sykes was nice boat fans and we got her from Marine City all the way up the river to Port Huron with great salutes from Captain Eric Treece at every location. Believe it or not it was the first time that I saw the Sykes on the river since 2005 and it was the first time ever that I got her on digital film. So after closing out the river then, I went into hibernation made spending the winter working on my entire set of 2019 photos. It took me the entire winter to do them after putting them off for so long and I still don't have it all done yet but, that's a story for another day! So, with the new season here I am slowly getting things done and coming back to life as I still have lots to catch up on. Had this been a normal year without the virus thing, I probably would've had a late start up probably not going to the river until mid to late Spring maybe even the summer for 2020. So, that's it from this end as far as how late last year and winter went. Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. Take care everyone!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey everyone just checking in to let you know that in spite of the crazy COVID-19 virus unfortunately that’s going around on in our country, I am still here thank goodness and surviving luckily and fortunately for me thank goodness. Well here we are as we all anxiously await the opening of the Soo Locks and the start of the 2020 season. It’s just so hard to take it all in right now with so much other things happening all around us for now. Thank goodness for our ships and the brave crews that are on them and sailing them now. God Bless them all and may he be with them and their families right now! I pray for everyone that we all have a good and safe along with profitable season inspite the virus and also our struggling economy right now! Have faith everyone and pray for good and safe health as we will beat this and we will be victorious and this will make us stronger than before. In time, we will rise up above the rest of the world and one day when this passes our country will be very strong once again! Well I’ve yet to put my champagne on ice for the big celebration tonight when the Soo opens but don’t worry as I got it and it’s ready to go. I’m so glad that we’re starting again as we all need some hope and sunshine and good news right now so let’s be all very thankful for our ships and crews right now and may they be safe also. While this virus thing is happening, I’m abiding by the Stay At Home order unless of course I need groceries or gas and medical stuff also. There’s no way I’m going near the river for any boat right now I don’t care who it is no matter what! Better to be safe than sorry with this virus thing. In some ways it’s good as I didn’t get much done over the winter months as I worked on photo editing all winter long. So am I ready for the 2020 season and opening yet? Nope not yet but give me time and I’ll be ready and roaring out of the gate at some point later this year! Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy. My thoughts and my prayers are with you, your family and friends and everyone as we get through this and fight this terrible virus. We are all in this together as one and we will prevail and win. Stay Safe and Be Safe everyone also.
Howard Sprague

Well Boatnerds, Howard is back and ready to party! We got back on March 1 and have made three trips to the river already, getting the Prentiss Brown, Alpena and Iver Bright so far. We had never seen the Prentiss Brown before so that was a nice treat to get last week.

We had a great time in Florida, visiting Mother and Aunt Nora, as well as her friends Mrs. Mendelbright and Mrs. Lesch for several weeks in the warm Florida sunshine. We deep sea fished several times and went to a couple of spring training events before leaving to head home for the spring.

Mother is concerned about our river trips with this coronavirus going around, but we told her not to worry about her Howie because he's going to be safe and party like it's 2020! Our goal is 150 river runs this year and we're well on our way!

Unread post by Guest »

Since your last photo is from 2014, would you post some more recent ones to share your photographic skills?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

No way am I sitting inside and editing my photos today Guest as I’ve been outside twice already to shovel snow today and I’m beat down and No I’m not yet done with my snow shoveling yet and No I don’t have a person to come and do it for me either although I wish I could have a person shovel me out. Looks like now I may have to put and throw my 2019 photos on a stick drive and save them for maybe 100 or more years down the road until I can someday find time to edit them all.

Unread post by Guest »

Why the secretiveness on what photo editors? And the snowstorm sounds like a great time to sit inside and edit photos?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well boatnerds I just completed and wrapped up another set of my 2019 Shipping photos as now I’ve completed nine sets of them or to better understand it, I’ve now finished up on nine trips to the river as far as the 2019 photos go. As I mentioned previously, it is surely not an easy job working and editing so many photos with so little time in a day and a week to work on them. Due to this weekend’s snow storm, I will not be able to get anything done as far as any new sets until hopefully next week at some point? Now I’m going to have to somehow put it into overdrive and do some overtime work to make up for lost time as far as working on my photos go. This may mean either very long late nights of staying up very late or else getting up real early in the mornings to try and get a head start on them. Basically I use two photo programs to edit the photos and NO I will not disclose what they are! I will say that one is used mostly to straighten a photo while another is used as far as color and brightness goes. The last step is the tough one as each photo “must be in near perfect form and condition as far as straightening of them goes without any errors or mistakes period!” I take great pride and joy in my photos as I consider them the best of the best and all one has to do is look at KYS 2014 Book for the Algoma Equinox and you’ll see my photo there. Of course this is with an older digital camera and not my new one. You can also find a few of my past pics by going to the Duluth Shipping News’ website and doing a search on their website.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I second Marc’s comments as well and wish my good friend Howard a very happy and safe trip as well. Howard, we’re all counting on you to bring us back some of that nice warm Florida sunshine and weather when you return from your trip. Now that the Soo has closed for the Winter and most of the Shipping has ended until Spring, I am FINALLY trying to get caught up on my 2019 stuff that I’ve been putting off all year long until now. I have also started to work on my 2019 ship photos but, let’s hold it here folks as I got lots to do and a very long way to go as it takes lots of time and energy to edit my photos. The good news is that I’ve already got 8 sets done meaning 8 river trip photos but I’m also editing the easiest sets first. Many sets still have more than 100 or more photos to edit. On average it takes about 1-2 days depending on how busy I am and how I feel. Whenever I get to the bigger and large sets of 100 or more photos, these will surely take longer and more time and energy as I’m anticipating just for a set of 100 or more photos it may take up to 3 days or more. I’m not complaining as this is what I do every winter to help pass the time away until Spring Fit Out returns! Until my next update, everyone have a good and safe Winter Lay Up.
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

Take care, and have a safe trip sir!
Howard Sprague

Well Boatnerds, and especially our good friend Denny D, we ended the season this year with 111 runs to the river, smashing our record and establishing a new benchmark for seasons going forward. Our final ship of the season was the Kaye E. Barker yesterday and wow, was she a great boat to end the season on!

Today we're leaving in a couple of hours to take our RV and go see mother in Florida for about five weeks. Hopefully something will be moving on the river when we get back. To everyone, especially our good friend Denny D, take care and we'll see you all soon outside on the river!
Howard Sprague

Well Boatnerds it's been a while but here's a quick update for you from your good friend Howard before we head out.

We have smashed our record and are up to an astounding 104 river runs so far, including every day so far in 2020. We were out yesterday and got some great photos of the Wally Mac passing the Cheyenne. It sure was good to see the Cheyenne in action again.

We spent Christmas with our friends Andy and Helen and some of their friends, including their son who we hadn't seen in a long time. On New Year's Eve we rang in the new year with the Magruders and Mrs. Magruder's cousin before we headed to the river Wednesday to make the Frontenac and the PRC our first official ships of 2020. I hope everyone's holiday went well and wish everyone a successful boatnerd campaign in 2020. In about ten days we're off to take our RV to Florida for a few weeks to see Mother. When we come back at the end of February we hope there's something moving so we can get a run in during February and say we've made river runs every month of the year. We didn't get out during February last year and it's the first time in a while that's happened. Everyone take care.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay everyone it’s that time of year again as we start to enter the days and weeks to come of Winter Lay-Up time we will start to see some odd and funny sayings on ships’ AIS as they prepare for Winter Lay-up soon. What I mean is stuff like Tony Packos in Toledo and Gone Fishing and stuff like that. So, I’m trying to come up with if you will my own goofy sayings IF I had my own AIS like the ships do. For right now at least now that I’m done at the river for the 2019 season and won’t return now until Spring 2020, I got a good one for you all. This is what I came up with “Gone With the Wind!” For now at least I like the idea and I may at some point change it or even add more if I think of my own at least personal AIS sayings but for now at least I like the saying and ideas. This sort of if you will goes with theme of Autumn Thunder and then in the Spring it’s Spring Hunger and in the Summer then Summer Fury. Just some ideas I’m tossing around as we near the end of the season!
Howard Sprague

We made our 86th run to the river for 2019 today Boatnerds, after having been out almost every day since last Friday, and we had a great day getting the Manitoulin and, get this Boatnerds, we saw the Big PRT for the 13th time this season! Last year we saw her 10 times and this is definitely a new record for us. I hope everyone is doing well. We are well on our way to smashing our record for river runs which we hope to do before the end of 2019!