Neptune - Dick Race's Boat: Where abouts?/Location?

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
kanakakidd

Re: Neptune - Dick Race's Boat: Where abouts?/Location?

Unread post by kanakakidd »

Dan that is the boat.

NEPTUNE was all aluminum hull, built in 1970 down in Louisiana. It was about 65' long by 18' wide by 5' draft. I do recall the Call Sign being KAAU.

Now I know the NEPTUNE is still around on the Great Lakes. Thank You very much for the updated information.

Will have to figure out where she is docked at to get some current photos of her unless you know of anyone who has a current photos of the NEPTUNE?

Would you have any information on the current owner? Company name or where the NEPTUNE is currently docked at?

Again Dan, THANKS for your help in pulling up the documentation on the NEPTUNE.

Cheers,
Kanaka
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

That's the one Dan. Dick's boat is currently owned out of Chicago according to Paul Ehorn. Paul said a family friend bought and revamped it. The same goes to John Steele' s old boat. Dick put a ton of money and effort into her and it's good to see that she is being kept up.
Diver Dan

Unread post by Diver Dan »

Was that boat steel or aluminum? I only see one currently enrolled boat by that name that seems to fit, a 61.6 ft aluminum research vessel, built in 1969. It is currently based at Beaver Island. The size and age seem about right, but I'm not sure of the hull construction. Anyway, I found a photo that shows a snippet of the upper-pilot house area with spotlights and mast, and this photo closely matches Dick's boat.
Here's the info, although the ownership records don't go back far enough to show Dick's name - if this is even the right boat.

Vessel Name: NEPTUNE USCG Doc. No.: 523296
Vessel Service: RESEARCH VESSEL IMO Number: *
Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Recreational Call Sign: KAAU
Hull Material: ALUMINUM Hull Number: 1068
Ship Builder: * Year Built: 1969

Length (ft.): 61.6
Hailing Port: BEAVER ISLAND MI Hull Depth (ft.): 5.8
Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 17
Gross Tonnage: 66
Net Tonnage: 45
Documentation Issuance Date: June 30, 2004 Documentation Expiration Date: *
Previous Vessel Names: No Vessel Name Changes Previous Vessel Owners: SEPTEMBER BRAVO ENTERPRISES LLC

There is also a 1967-built 76-ft steel fishing boat listed for Stonington MI but I can't find any photos of it to compare.
Kanakakidd

Neptune - Dick Race's Boat: Where abouts?/Location?

Unread post by Kanakakidd »

I was talking with an old friend of the family when we got on the subject of Dick Race on things he use to do.
We were both wondering what ever happened to his boat the NEPTUNE? I heard a story that Dick's nephew inherited it and brought it up to Holland Michigan where it had sunk a couple of times, but we were wondering was it still around or did it finally get scrapped or sitting on the bottom in Holland, MI?
If anyone could update me on its where about I would appreciate greatly.
Cheers,
Kanaka