Something for Bookworm

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: Something for Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Denny, I never got whatever it is you have for me. If you sent it via email,. it's lost in cyberspace. If by USPS, it may be in the Dead Letter Office. That leaves Santa...and me wondering if I didn't make his "Nice List."
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

This is a bit off subject sorry to say but this is also a response to a post from earlier by Howard Sprague in regards to comments he made regarding next month's Books and Boats event scheduled to be at the Great Lakes Maritime Center in Port Huron. Howard I will not be attending the Books and Boats event as I just learned and find out today unfortunately that Frank Mays will not be able to attend the event. Therefore I already have made other plans along with obligations that day as well. It's unfortunate that I will miss the Books and Boats event as it sounds exciting and I just wish it was a lot closer to me at least the Great Lakes Maritime Center and Port Huron as well. One thing that makes it hard and difficult for me is the always unpredictable November weather as I do not do any driving whatsoever in the winter months due to the snow and icy roads thus the reason as to why I don't usually go beyond the month of November for boatwatching as my season ends mostly by Thanksgiving time each year due to the uncertainty of the weather. Right now this has not been one of my better seasons and fall up on the St. Clair River as I have really struggled this year as far as making it up to the river this fall! So far I've only made the river this fall "eight times which is far below the totals that I had during last year at this same time." However, one must also understand and realize obviously the weather this year compared with last year is much different and also much colder and more rainy than what we experienced last year! During the fall season last year it was much warmer and milder and less rain than what we have had so far this year. Normally in November I don't get more than four trips to the river due to the uncertainty of the weather but last year was a rare exception due to the warmth and mild weather as I made it 9 times in November the most ever for that month but I don't look for that to happen very often. So, right now I would say that I am on par and pace to finish this year at the river with 12 or maybe 13 trips if I am lucky? But again, I will not be able to go to the Books and Boats event next month due to other obligations!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Howard, I’ll only be at Port Huron and Books and Boats event on one condition only and that is they somehow get Frank Mays from the Carl D. Bradley sinking there! The author of his new book will be one of the guest book signers and I would very much enjoy seeing and talking with him but, again only if they can somehow get and bring Frank Mays in for the event! I’ve met Dennis Hale several times at the events at Vanatge Point and Flea Markets but, I’ve yet to meet Frank Mays and I’m dying to meet and talk with him someday. So we will have to wait and see on it. As for Autumn Thunder 2018, unfortunately it’s not going as well as last year but, have to realize and understand not every year will be as good for me as others have been. That however is not a bad thing depending on the person’s point of view. You don’t want to see all the ships in one year because, then that takes away the fun and also the enjoyment of going and seeing them the following year if you know what I mean? You also don’t want to keep seeing the same ones all of the time either if you know what I mean there? Haven’t gotten lots of salutes this season just the American Century but, with all these wild and crazy winds lately it’s a challenge just to try and get decent photos let alone to try and get a salute as well! Yesterday while at Port Huron and the Maritime Center, my hat blew off in the the wind and I almost thought I couldn’t catch up to it. Lucky for me it didn’t travel too far to where I finally caught it. However if that had been closer to the water, surely I would’ve lost it for sure and would’ve never recovered that hat!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Hello Denny,

That sounds like a very special jacket you have there my friend. I do hope that when our paths cross again on the river you will be wearing it so I can see it. I am not sure I would wear something that special to the river and risk ruining it though. I hope your Autumn Thunder is going well and you are getting lots of salutes. I hope we will see you at the Books and Boats event in Port Huron next month!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Sorry to say Bookworm, Nope I wasn’t wearing my PRT jacket and No I don’t have a Dog either so that wasn’t me I’m afraid. However today at the river as windy as it was, I did breakout my PRT jacket as I have two of them but the one I wear today I don’t use very often. I’m never ever gonna tell what color it is or what’s on it sorry to say. That is top secret information and the only way to know and find out is to see it live and in person but, trust me though if you saw that jacket you’d be amazed at it though as my Mom got it for me years ago as an awesome Christmas gift and present for me! And for anyone else that wants to know, all the money made and printed in the world will NEVER get me to tell you about my Paul R. Tregurtha jacket sorry to say.
Bookworm

Denny wrote:You betcha Bookworm as that was me at the boat launch when she came through last night! I heard the salute from the boat site as well to the HCJ but, it sounds like you had the best view and vantage point for it though. Couldn’t get them though to blow a salute to me though but I didn’t care as all I wanted was to see the ship and we did! It wasn’t easy though in that strong wind though as that was a great challenge!
You weren't wearing your PRT jacket, were you? Did you have a dog with you,? If so, I saw you.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

You betcha Bookworm as that was me at the boat launch when she came through last night! I heard the salute from the boat site as well to the HCJ but, it sounds like you had the best view and vantage point for it though. Couldn’t get them though to blow a salute to me though but I didn’t care as all I wanted was to see the ship and we did! It wasn’t easy though in that strong wind though as that was a great challenge!
Bookworm

Hi Denny,
So glad you were able to see your favorite again. Were you at the Marysville boat launch when you watched PRT? I waited upriver where I could hear the salute exchange with HCJ, then came down to the old waterworks plant. Don't stress about getting the photos to me. I'm still coming to the library, as I've not got Internet at home yet.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Bookworm and hope you’re doing well and surviving the cold and the raw windy days around here lately. Just to let you know, I am still working on getting those LAT photos to you but I’ve ran into some major computer issues right now so it may be a little while yet before I can send them to you. Just try to hang in there and hopefully when I get my computer issues fixed I’ll send them to you ASAP as I know you will like them. By the way, saw the PRT on the river tonight just before sunset and got super photos of her and I mean super with some nice shadows but still great! It’s a shame though I can’t send any now to Interlake for next year’s calendar as the deadline was last Friday at noon. I do plan to send one to Roger though for next years 60th anniversary book as I am hoping he will put it in. The photo is so good that I consider it at least to make the cover! That would be a fantastic dream and ultimate one for me as I’ve only had one photo in his book and that was the 2014 one to which I had the Algoma Equinox on its first run up the river back then. Guess we will have to wait and see. Keep you photos coming as well!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey Bookworm, sorry to say and tell you that I won’t be able to get the photos Emailed and sent to you for a while now as I’ve been having issues with my computer lately thus I don’t know when I will be able to get it fixed? Just try to hang in there and be patient with me and at some point I’ll get those photos sent to you. Thanks for your patience.

Unread post by Guest »

Denny wrote:Okay Bookworm I think I got your Email address figured out now as it looks and appears that it ends in com if you know what I mean on that so it shouldn’t be a problem hopefully. I hope to have the photos sent out by Email sometime this weekend. As with me, please be patient and hang in there with me as my schedule will be busy and hectic for this weekend. Thanks and I know you will love those photos when you see them soon. I will let you know here just when they are sent to you.
Yes, Gmail is a.com. Learned a long time ago not to post my email address like a link.
Yesterday, I started hanging scenic photos and realized all of my favorites have either a lake or river in them.
No hurry, Denny. I'm sure to like your pics whenever you can send them.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay Bookworm I think I got your Email address figured out now as it looks and appears that it ends in com if you know what I mean on that so it shouldn’t be a problem hopefully. I hope to have the photos sent out by Email sometime this weekend. As with me, please be patient and hang in there with me as my schedule will be busy and hectic for this weekend. Thanks and I know you will love those photos when you see them soon. I will let you know here just when they are sent to you.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Bookworm thanks for providing your Email address as to where to send the photos. However, even though I got your address to send the photos I am bit confused and lost as I'm not used to the mail program G Mail that you are currently using. Most Emails end with either the com or net thing if you know what I mean? So if you can tell me if yours end in a .com or a .net then this will make it much either for me to send the photos to you. Otherwise then I may have to try and send them into boatnerd somehow and way to see if they may publish them there. So again if you can help me as to what your Email address is hopefully that should work. Thanks!
Bookworm

Denny, thanks for your patience.
Here's my email: lat625 at Gmail.
Looking forward to seeing what you put together for me.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Guest as I was thinking just those same exact thoughts and words and may try that and give it consideration. Thanks for that one!

Unread post by Guest »

Mr. Denny,

Perhaps if you email the photos to [email protected] they can resize them and post them here for all to enjoy?
Bookworm

Denny wrote:Hey Bookworm are you still interested in photos of your all time favorite ship the Lee A. Tregurtha? I got several that I took of her from my Soo vacation last month and all I need is to please have you list what your Email address is that is if you are okay in giving that out though? I can send them to you by Email as I don't know how to shrink and post them on here sorry to say. The downbound shots are the best as it was early afternoon or evening and those turned out really great! The upbound ones from Mission Point are not bad but, it was a little rough with the type of sunlight I had but still not too bad. Please let me know if you're interested sometime and I will send the photos to you once I have your Email address. Thanks and take care and glad you are doing well and getting out and about. How's your new home doing? Hope that's going well.
    I certainly am, Denny, but won't have my computer service until sometime the last week of September.
    The movers will load from Oscoda and unload here the 22nd.
    Have been getting quotes for necessary repairs and doing outside work. Next is contacting service providers.
    Cell phone E-mail is better than nothing though.
    I spent one afternoon photographing ships, using my trusty Canon, but can't edit them to submit.
    Hope to see you at the river.
    Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey Bookworm are you still interested in photos of your all time favorite ship the Lee A. Tregurtha? I got several that I took of her from my Soo vacation last month and all I need is to please have you list what your Email address is that is if you are okay in giving that out though? I can send them to you by Email as I don't know how to shrink and post them on here sorry to say. The downbound shots are the best as it was early afternoon or evening and those turned out really great! The upbound ones from Mission Point are not bad but, it was a little rough with the type of sunlight I had but still not too bad. Please let me know if you're interested sometime and I will send the photos to you once I have your Email address. Thanks and take care and glad you are doing well and getting out and about. How's your new home doing? Hope that's going well.
    Denny

Unread post by Denny »

No problem Bookworm as I have patience and will wait until you get back up to Oscoda. Glad to hear you’re staying at the Bluewater Inn and hope that you’re seeing lots of ship traffic and getting some excellent photos of the passing ship traffic. I got so much to report and talk about regarding my vacation to the Soo last week that I don’t know quite where to begin and start? Lots of great memories up there and plenty of photos and the weather was perfect! My brother from out of state and I were both talking about how we can’t wait to get back up there again someday. We won’t be doing it again at least this year since he has his own obligations and responsibility to both his family, grandchildren and his restaurant business. However and rest assure that this will not be a one and done only trip and vacation to the Soo with my brother as we have more to come in the future. Just hope I don’t have to wait more than 8 years like this last time but, I understand and realize with my Mom’s declining health in that period that it was just not possible for her to continue taking me to the Soo on a yearly basis. I know that someday I’ll make it back to the Soo. At least for now I’ll enjoy what wonderful memories and times I had with my brother while up there!
    Bookworm

Denny, You may find this hard to believe, but I am replying from the Blue Water Inn. When I get back to Oscoda, I'll fill you and the Boatnerd gang in on the details. Don't give up. Give me a few days. Glad you had such a good time at the Soo. Good memories help get us through our sad days.