Happy Birthday to Denny!

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Happy Birthday to Denny!

Unread post by Denny »

Sorry this is so late boatnerds but, here’s a few of my memorable times of celebrating my birthdays if anyone would like to know just what ones are my most memorable. I’d say the top of the list was when I turned five years old. Unfortunately I was too young to remember that one as it’s only by the stories now I hear of it. Well, we were on a family trip out West at the time. We were in Gardner, Montana and of course being that it was the 4th of July, everything was closed. We couldn’t find any store open to get a birthday cake for me. So, my Dad said we gotta get him something for his birthday. Well, from the stories and pictures we did as we ended up eating cupcakes LOL which was better than nothing at all! Another good memory was in 1996 on my birthday. We were again on our annual summer trip and had just finished at the Soo and were on our way to Duluth taking the Lake Superior Circle Tour. We stopped off in Thunder Bay for the night. It just so happen a close friend helped to arrange for us to get on board a tug in the harbour. Canadian Miner at the time was done loading and was shifting to another spot and they needed our help to push them as they didn’t have a bow thruster and so we helped push them from one spot to another. The unfortunate part was it was raining crazy but, it was my birthday and I didn’t give a care in the least! Later I wrote and corresponded with Capt. Gerry Craig of the Canadian Miner and he wrote a nice note back. Anytime I saw his ship he’d give me a salute. That was fun on that tug helping them out!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hey Howard and everyone else, I’m surprised that no one so far has asked of all of my birthdays that I’ve celebrated now well over 40 of them just which are some of my most memorable? I have a few that I will share with you very soon, that is IF I can still remember them all!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks one and all for the nice and thoughtful birthday wishes as I do appreciate them. I didn’t do very much on my birthday just sort of took it easy, had dinner with my brother and dessert and earlier in the day ate a small cake and that was it. To say it mildly, turning a year older now definitely wore me down and out as usually I’m a Night Owl but last night I was so beat that I couldn’t keep my eyes open even if any ships sailed by my house LOL on that one! Believe it or not everyone I still have not made a trip up to the river yet this year! I was thinking about going before this heat wave unfortunately came here to stick around and stay. Now, I’ll be doing good IF I can make it to the river by Fall. Fortunately for me I had as good a year up on the river as I did last year as with the virus pandemic it don’t look too good for me for this year. I’ve been thinking about maybe taking vacations with my brother on my next two birthdays IF we ever get over the virus pandemic first that is. The next two years I got places in mind but, we’ll have to wait and see. More than likely it’s due to the Virus Pandemic but, I just can’t seem yet to get motivated and inspired to do any boatwatching yet for this year. But after being at home and in lockdown, I think my time is coming!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Happy Birthday My Friend Denny. You've got me by a week, but I have you by 20 yrs. ALL THE BEST!!
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DENNY!
Howard Sprague

Happy Birthday to Denny!

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Well everyone, the "Today in Great Lakes History" is missing a monumental event for July 5, as it was on this date in 1972 that the SS Denny Dushane was launched. Over the years our friend Denny has provided us with a wealth of knowledge and information and I for one hope you will all join me in a hearty THREE LONG and TWO SHORT for Denny!