Glues & paints

Discussion forum for Model Builders. Static models to R/C.
JohnH

Re: Glues & paints

Unread post by JohnH »

Carr's Hobby is at 2009 West Superior St. in Duluth's Lincoln Park neighborhood. their website is http://carrshobbies.com/
c ships

Unread post by c ships »

Where is Carr's Hobby in Duluth. Like to stop in there when I'm in Duluth next time.Thanks

Unread post by Guest »

I purchased a 1930 class ore carrier produced by Carr's Hobby back in the late 1980s. If the Fitzgerald kit is similar, you should have an enjoyable build. The kit I had consisted mostly of balsa and went together with some Elmer's wood glue. After sealing the wood, I used a combination of acrylic craft paints and Testors enamel spray paint for the hull and details while using some Ace Hardware brand gloss white enamel paint for the cabins. The only major departure I made from the ore carrier kit was not using the cut out cabin window and door glue on templates. Rather, I cut out the doors and glued them to the cabins while using some punched out circles from some exposed film negative strips (this was the 80s after all!) for the port holes. The pilothouse windows were masked and spray painted. As the hull was made of balsa, it was very easy to carve and shape using the supplied templates.

Now, some 30 years later, I can easily recall the pleasurable hours I spent building the ore carrier kit just after graduating high school. Unforturnately I lost it in a particularly nasty divorce about 15 years ago, but I would definitely build another if it was still produced. I was at Carr's Hobby during a visit to Duluth in 2018 and saw a built up Edmund Fitzgerald which was likely made from the kit you have. It was a very good represntation. The gentleman that runs the shop is very friendly and I had a good conversation with him while picking up several plastic models, but for some reason forgot to inquire whether either of these kits were still available. I didn't remember until my wife and I were talking about it on the flight back to Detroit.

Although there doesn't seem to be much traffic on this part of the discussion boards, feel free to let me know what materials the kit consists of and I could perhaps give you some better information on what glues and paints to use. Modeling has come a long way since the 1980s and there are some very good products out there. I would be very interested in hearing how the build goes!
Bigboat

Glues & paints

Unread post by Bigboat »

Hi all,

I purchased the Fitzgerald model from Carr's Hobby over 20 years ago and finally decided to build it. Looking for any tips on the best glue & paints to use and any other helpful info you care to offer.

Thanks,

Boat