Denny's 3rd Story

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Denny's 3rd Story

Unread post by Denny »

Just letting anyone that reads this thread and post, more stories have now been posted and you can read them now. They are numbered in order stories 4-6 if anyone is interested and comments are welcomed as well. Hope you all enjoy the stories with more to come soon!

Unread post by Guest »

Anxiously awaiting the next one Denny!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Zeek 92 and thanks for the comments on the stories as they are very much appreciated. You betcha I will keep them coming but as I said earlier though and again a reminder to all that this week will be a very busy week for me with helping out my Mom and also with my brother and his wife coming into town to visit whom I have not seen in two years! It's not often I get to see and visit my one brother that lives out of town so this will be special for me to see him and his wife again. As for your questions about my trips to the St. Clair River, Yes indeed I do travel up and down it by car and looking for photo ops from different locations and areas as I like to get them from other spots sometimes. Years ago and I still do take some at Port Huron at the Bridge but, now I like shooting them directly underneath the bridge as they pass by as I get a better angle of them that way. If anyone is interested btw, you can see some of my photos here on boatnerd and a few more are on the dsn website. I will have to someday give you all a list of the ones that I have on the DSN website and where you can find them here on boatned. Glad you enjoyed the stories as I will be working soon on some more from the 1995 season of boatwatching for me.
Zeek 92

Unread post by Zeek 92 »

Denny, when you make your trips to the St. Clair River, do you tour up and down the river by car looking for photo ops or do you hang out in one place? I just stay at the Blue Water bridge with a hand held marine radio and my camera and have a great day. Thanks for the stories and keep it up!

Unread post by Guest »

Sorry to hear about your mother's health problems and concerns Denny as I know that can be a burden and problem to deal with. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

I am enjoying your stories very much, Denny, and anxiously awaiting the next one!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hope that you all liked my third story here and sorry if is not as well written or good as my first two stories. I am trying to do what I would consider and call a "Series of stories by the years and so far at least I have done 1992-1994 as best as I can recall and also remember!" Keep in mind it is hard to remember some of those as they are going back that far in time. Next up will be 1995 as I got a few stories from that year that hopefully you will all like along with enjoy as well. I only ask though that this up and coming week you all give me lots of space, your patience and time as I have been dealing with important health issues with Mom that must be taken care of and are extreme high priority. Also I have one of my brothers come into town for a visit this week and I have not seen him last in two years and it is not often that we get together and see one another. So again, just please be patient with me this week and give me time and space and whenever I can do so I will try and get back to the stories for you all once again. Stay tuned!
Denny

Denny's 3rd Story

Unread post by Denny »

Okay boatnerds it is time for another story from me. This one is kind of hard to put into words and I don't have all the facts along with figures yet and it may be a bit too long and I appologize for that but, it is worth reading and hope that you all enjoy this one and appreciate it as much as I did in writing it. There are several titles that I can give for this story and I will start with one title as "The Quest for 20 and also call it as well, 20 is more than just a number or an average number as it is much more than that!" What all of this means is simply this to all of you, when I first started out on the St. Clair River 25 years ago in 1992, that first season I had lots to learn as I was just starting out and only 19-20 years old at the time. I was also just learning how to drive as well since I just got out of High School in 1991 and was not working. So 1992 without anything to do and taking and making a few trips to the river in 1991 in the summer with my folks, that's how I got started on my own in 1992. But back to the story here, the 1992 season I only made it to the river 17 times on my own which is not bad. The following year 1993, was a dropoff year as it seldom happens with 10. However, the Quest for 20 as the story is called started in 1994. That season I was up to 17 and I wasn't sure I was going to make it out to the river anymore that season. Sorry I won't go into details other than something ended up happening that fall in late September and it wasn't until about mid-October that for the first time ever I finally made it out to the St. Clair River for my 20th ever time and trip! It was a moment I will never forget and believe it or not the Paul R. Tregurth was one of the ships I saw that day and got a salute from as well that day. Since 1994 though, I have had 10 times to where I made it to the river 20 or more times with the last one being in 2013 when I made it an incredible 28 times! If you look at the seasons to where I made it to the river 20 or more times, the numbers are unbelievable and mind boggling! Here's the official numbers if you don't believe me on this story.

1994 28 trips
1997 20 trips
1999 28 trips (Yes, we partied like it was 1999 that season btw)
2001 20 trips
2004 20 trips
2006 21 trips
2007 25 trips
2010 26 trips
2012 20 trips
2013 28 trips

As you can see I try to make it a goal to reach 20 trips every year as I am my own critic if I don't make it. Also as you can see by the chart and the numbers, "Never once have I ever gotten 30 trips to the river and just once in my lifetime I would love more than you can ever dream and imagine to just once do it and say I did it!" Hopefully someday as long as I'm young and my health holds up. Sorry for such a long story here but hope that you all enjoyed it!