Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Denny

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hello Howard and again thanks as always for your kind along with thoughtful comments and encouraging words as they are always appreciated. I am sure you are right as far as me getting more than 10 trips to the river next year. However, a couple of things to consider one of which is that at some point next year my parents' home will be sold and someone new will be coming and moving in permanently. The other issue is that this will then force me as far as having to live and move in another location and this may take a while for me as far as getting situated and adjusting to the move and the changes. Keep in mind that I was born and raised all of my life 45 years in my parents' home and never once did I ever have to move from there or live anywhere else. Just once I stayed up at my brother's place after my Mom's passing but, that was only for a few days. This will certainly be a challenge for me next year as far as having to move away from a place that I've called my home for over 45 years and yet the house itself just turned 48 years old this year on Memorial Day weekend. As anyone can probably attest and tell you "Selling a house with so many memories in it is definitely NOT an easy thing to do especially when you have to clean out just about everything and get it ready to sell!" To make things harder and more difficult is knowing that someday new owners and a new family will be living here and driving by the place and looking at it will be hard for a while knowing that it's no longer your home and the fact that it's somebody else's home. Even more difficult is the fact that "It will be easy at first somewhat as you will want to try and drive in or pull in and look around but, that's when the sad reality at some point hits you and slaps you in the face and it also tells you that this is no longer your home and that it now belongs to somebody else!" Sorry to ramble on here folks just trying to make a point here is all. Thanks again Howard and to one and all for your kind words and encouraging thoughts as they are very much appreciated. The hardest part is yet to come this year as far as celebrating the holidays without my Mom as that was what she loved most is the holidays and baking and cooking and Christmas was always her favorite time of year. I know that somehow I will get through that time of year when it gets here but, whenever you lose a loved one the holidays are one of the most difficult times of year to go through. For many boatnerds and friends that have lost loved ones in the past and most recently this year, you have all of my thoughts and sympathy as I can in part know what many of you are feeling and going through as it is definitely NOT an easy thing but have faith and know that things will get better and that the road we all are traveling will get better. God our heavenly and eternal father along with our Lord and Saviour and Angels are all with us every step of our life's journey. For ones that have lost a loved one, remember and take time to pause and read the prayer of the Footprints among the many prayers. God Bless my friends!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Very interesting statistics, Denny, my friend. However, keep in mind that next year you will probably make more than 10 trips to the river as you race toward 500. Good luck to you my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to add a few more statistics here for all of you. With the two trips made to the St. Clair River for this week, I've now made it out there for a grand total of what I count and consider as being 430 official trips to the river for boat and ship watching. In doing my calculations at 70 trips away from 500 river trips, I took and went with the 500 number and then dived that by 70 to come up with the number 7 to which it would take me seven years plus at least at the rate and pace I'm going to reach my 500th river trip. Over the course of time it will happen for me just need to be patient and hang in there as it will be coming someday and will happen. In the meantime I am enjoying the ride to get there as best as I can for now so far at least.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay here's a few more interesting statistics to add to my resume of 25 years of shipwatching on the St. Clair River. Since 1992 when I first started following them and driving to and from the river on my own at least, for the month of October counting the two trips made just this week I have now made it to the river during the month of October at least 70 times in that span. Following that I have 63 times for the month of September and 62 in May but next year at least, May should end up going back to my second best for that span. As for days of the week, Fridays I have 128 so far and for Ruby Tuesdays it is 99 believe it or not. Now if anyone is also wondering this question, "Have I ever done every day of the month at least from April to November?" The answer to that question is a very loud and resounding No I have not done every single day and date from April to November in my 25 years of watching ships on the St. Clair River. So in other words, there are still days and dates yet to be fulfilled and right now there are only two days and dates left for October and I will at least have that month done and over with as far as days and dates to which I've never made it to the river on. Take for instance Halloween, I've never made it to the river on that date nor have I ever made it out to the river during the Fourth of July as well. These are just a few examples of what I am referring to. In years past if I have gotten 4 trips during the month of September at least, usually October the total is better and higher and in fact the most I've ever made in October once was 6 trips to the river so depending on the weather yet for this month it's still possible but averaging one or two trips a week will be difficult to say the least. Right now I'm just taking things one day and step at a time and we will see where it goes from there.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well to let my friends and anyone else know, we've been back at the river now twice this week and for October we have had two runs or trips. For the 2017 season at least for me, it depends on how you want to look at things I guess. For the common boatnerds along with technically I've made the river 9 times with a breakdown of this as follows with one in April along with two in August, four trips for the month of September and two in October so far. However, I do not count officially anything prior to September as these were all just special trips. I consider the real deal being in September as far as when I officially started for 2017. The only problem that I'm having on the river and No it's not enough salutes but, "Where are all of the boats at?" The last 2 or 3 trips I've made I have not seen but more than 4 to 6 ships and had some very slow days! This has been a bit disappointing and frustrating as I would've thought with the Fall season and Grain Rush that the traffic would pick up. Maybe I will get lucky in time and just have to be patient but, time is running out for me though for 2017 and with the days getting shorter this makes it a bit more challenging. However, I am trying to enjoy this year as best as I can and I know that's what anyone would tell me to do for now. Also I know some would say "Does it really matter that much just how many you see?" I agree just have fun and enjoy it while it last!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Roger for that and your correct and right on everything you said and I will let it be at that. Basically all I wanted mainly was to see her yesterday to FINALLY tell people mostly family, friends along with neighbors that I got to see her. Everyone keeps asking me the million dollar question "Did you see it yet?" It makes me proud to say at least that I finally did it and above all things, that is what matters the most! I totally agree to be very fortunate and lucky to receive the salutes that I have gotten so far from the Sam Laud, Roger Blough and the Edgar B. Speer along with the Indiana Harbor and also the Hon. James L. Oberstar. I hope their captains at least are reading my post and know how much I appreciate them saluting and thanks to them as well! Nothing personal either to anyone that doesn't just as long as I see the boat and that's what counts and matters the most!
BigRiver

Unread post by BigRiver »

Doubtful it was personal, Denny. They are busy in the river, or they may not have seen you or your sign. I know it means a lot to you, but they are not in business to keep us boatnerds happy. It's great to get a salute when they have time to give one, but it sure isn't a requirement. I consider anyone lucky enough to get a salute as just that: lucky. I would never think to complain or be upset because I didn't get one.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well to anyone and everyone that has been reading and following this post lately, the long wait FINALLY came to and end yesterday up on the St. Clair River. It is hard to believe that it has been more than two years since I last saw the Paul R. Tregurtha on the river and even more so, it is also hard to believe that the last time that I saw her downbound in Port Huron or in St. Clair for that matter was clear back in 2013 believe it or not! Well again yesterday, the wait Finally ended as the PRT was downbound yesterday on the river in the late afternoon which was just perfect for lighting at that time of day and Yes I got plenty of good photos. However, it was also disappointing that Captain Bob though did not acknowledge me with my signs for him thus I did not get a single salute from him the whole way down the river and believe it or not they did not even step outside to wave as well! Apparently they must not like me for some reasons and don't know if it is something about my signs for them or what? I don't recall having those types of issues when the late Captain Mitch Hallin and later Tim Dayton were at one point captains on the PRT! Captain Mitch would usually always blow a salute to me if I recall although it's been so long ago now I am sure there may have been a few times he didn't. Captain Tim was also the same way but, there were also times as well to where he did not give me a salute. As far as Captain Bob I know that he took over for Captain Tim Dayton in 2014 and I have not seen the PRT as much as I used to when Captain Tim was the captain on her all those many years. Maybe Captain Bob needs to get to know me more I don't know what it is? Sorry to ramble on like this as well. Anyway, it was still a good day on the river although it was very slow with only four ships the whole day. I am hoping that the ship movement and traffic starts to pick up more as we are now headed to October. So, I officially end the month of September now with 4 river trips which is not a bad way to end the month and a good way for me to FINALLY get my 25th season and year on the river started. Hope October brings many more trips and ships out there!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Forgot to mention in my previous post that one of the five ships that I saw yesterday on the St. Clair River was the Cedarglen as she was heading upbound. Now I'm sure at 100% many of you all are asking "So what is the big deal about that and so what she was heading upbound right nothing knew there as she's done it many times and we've seen her lots of time doing that right?" Okay so maybe most of you have seen her heading upbound however, it was the first time that I'd seen her in the red hull colors at least going upbound as I got her a couple of times downbound but never going upbound until yesterday! They also say that good things come to those who wait right? Needless to say those good things did come as she came upbound right at supper time last night and that's the way I was hoping to see and photograph her in those types of lighting and conditions. It could not have been more sweet and perfect to see and photograph her in the late afternoon toward evening hours. As Roger from KYS once said I think "He likes a photo of a red hull colored ship for his book sometimes!" Well he surely would've loved last night with the Cedarglen and even more so, as she passed through Marysville she met the downbound salty the Federal Kushiro which was freshly painted up. Now that was a classic photo of the two red colored ships passing toward the early evening hours. Now, if only I can catch the PRT sometime while they are downbound in daylight on either a Monday, Tuesday or a Friday! I'm watching them very closely and carefully now and I am hoping that perhaps next week could be the one maybe just so long as they get a long delay today and an even longer load up at the MERC Coal Terminal Dock today. Hope the folks that load her up today take their time with the PRT and go slow with the load so she gets out in the late morning on Sunday. Then this would put her at the Soo during the daylight on Monday and hopefully then on Tuesday we get her downbound on the river during the day in the afternoon or toward evening. If I don't see her this week I am about to give up on the PRT and figure the snow will be flying by the time I ever see her again. I know what you're all saying though boatnerds "Don't Give Up The Ship just yet!" Believe me I'm not trying to but just frustrating and disappointing when you have not seen your all time favorite in two years. But my time will come!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Just to let everyone know on my updates, "Autumn Thunder was back on the river once again today!" Although it was a slow day for a very rare Friday as usually Fridays are busy and crazy at times for ship traffic, today we only saw 5 ships the whole day up on the river! Although we did get lucky with two salties one of which was the Ebroborg who we hadn't seen before and the Federal Kushiro although we saw in 2010 under Panama flag, she was reflagged I believe in 2011 and now sails under the Marshall Islands flag thus it was our first time seeing her under that flag. Was fortunate to get photos of the Golden Oak for the first time at the North Slip and the Manitoulin at the Government Dock for repairs as well in Sarnia. Got two salutes today from the Edgar B. Speer and while having my lunch today, I thought about and came up with a neat idea as to dedicate one to my Mom and the other to my Dad as well. Lucky for me I was able to get the Speer in St. Clair today with NO camera issues with batteries compared to last week when my camera went dead on me. So obviously last week it was an issue with my batteries and the fact that I left them sit for too long in my camera for the past few months. As bookworm said in one of her reports, it was a very warm and steamy day for this time of year in September but still enjoyed ourselves and had a fun and great time on the river today again. Since April 14, 1992 and my very first time on the river by myself I've now made it out there I figure 427 times now and are now 73 trips away from the magic number of 500 trips in my career! However, don't count all of your chickens before they hatch yet boatnerds as it will be many more years and seasons yet before I hit the magic 500 number as it will not happen this year or next year either as I don't expect to be making very many river trips both this year and again for next year as well. For the 2017 season, I am projecting either 12 trips in all or possibly 15 depending on how the rest of September along with October and November fare weather wise. Right now I've made the river 3 times so far for September and the most I've made for that month in the past has been 5 so I could possibly tie and equal that mark this month yet I hope! For October I've made it out there I think more than 5 times in the past but, October is iffy as you just don't know what the weather can bring and hold? Hopefully I will get lucky this year and we have a nice warm October with lots of sunny days ahead! The month of November as we all know can bring just about anything for weather and I usually NEVER seem to go beyond 4 trips to the river for that month. So the point is to break it down on a monthly basis for you. If we get 5 in September and then again 5 for October and another 5 for November there you go at 15 trips. However, if we go with say 5 for September and then maybe 5 for October and then 4 in November that would give us then 14 which still isn't bad. Finally we could end up going this route with 4 in September and then 4 in October and then another 4 in November which would bring us to 12 total. Either way you slice it up, I am hoping to at least end the year in the double digit numbers. However, usually when I start up this late in the year in September sometimes I don't get beyond 10 or higher so we will just have to wait and see what happens. At any rate I am just going to try and enjoy what time I have out there this fall and try to make the best of it. I am just glad as heck to finally be able to get back out there again after everything that's happen in my life in the past couple of years especially with my Mom and now her passing away this year. The last couple of seasons has not been easy ones for me and now I am just looking to build upon some good stuff for next year and beyond. Sorry for a long post folks.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well friends to let you all know, it has officially started as of this week as we did two river trips this week. The first was in Tuesday and we did it again on Friday as well. So far only two ships ended up seeing the 25 year sign and giving me salutes the Sam Laud along with the Roger Blough. A bummer though as I just finished my 45 year sign for the Blough this week but it came a day or two after I saw her but hopefully next time I will see her again at some point. The Friday one at the river was not one of my better trips unfortunately this time for me. This was my first Friday trip in two years and I still have much to learn on the river and in a short time as by mid-November I will be all done for the year as I usually never go beyond that point as that time of year, the weather is starting to change and I do not do any type of winter driving and NO at this point I have nobody to take me out to the river at that point. So it is what it is for now and I will just go and enjoy it and do the best I can with it. Also Friday I was a bit on the grumpy and moody side and to make matters worse, just as I was trying to take photos of the Speer in St. Clair my camera would NOT allow me to take photos! You can only imagine then at that moment how I felt as it was mid-afternoon and would have had good photos of her then. Fortunately I shot her in Port Huron and Marysville it was just the idea of having that happened to me! Sure enough it was the batteries as my camera worked fine the rest of the day. Lucky for me that this wasn't the PRT and I had that issue because then I would have been so mad and ticked off that you would not wanted to be around me then. Not sure yet when I will be back at the river now as I got appointments this week but at least we finally got it started! Just to let you know No Salutes either from anyone on Friday but I hope this will improve over time. But for now we finally started up!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks for that one Howard. I will at some point try to send the photos into boatnerd of the sign at least and see what they can do as far as trying to resize it for me and somehow having the pics of the sign posted. As for the sign itself, it is a white background with letters and numbers all painted in an metallic blue like color as it is sharp and all you boatnerds will love it when you see it! I basically copied the same type of design I did back in 2012 when at that time I was celebrating my 20th year on the river. I made a sign up back in 2009 to celebrate my 200th river trip but, duh at the time I did not know what I was doing or thinking! Back then I wanted a "Patriotic theme sign as my 200th trip was in July. So I went with a red, white and a silver type of thing instead of a red, white and a blue so they white would be replaced by the silver or gray and was poorly done as the silver was very bright as the sun hit it and the captain of the PRT at the time Tim Dayton and others must have thought "What in the heck is this?" Never again did I ever choose to do a sign like that one as now I go with either a blue or a black for my letters and numbers as hopefully that will be either for the sailors and captains to see and acknowledge me with. With the work done on my 25th anniversary sign, now the next big project has yet to get to started and that is "Making up a sign for the Roger Blough and their 45th season on the water!" That will be started up hopefully sometime this week if I can find the time and have it painted up and done hopefully by next weekend. Now I could just simply paint out the 0 and the year 2012 and replace those numbers with a 5 and the year 2017 and then my RB sign is all done but, I think that I would rather just make up a whole new sign for the Jolly Roger instead. Now as long as I can somehow get the sign done before I see the Jolly Roger on the river as I know he's down on Lake Erie now or soon will be. Anyway, still looking forward to getting this thing started as it's been way too long for me the past couple of years of not making too many river trips. Boatnerds out there, be ready and prepared because Big Denny is about to be headed to the St. Clair River and a viewing town and spot near you soon. So, are you ready boatnerds as this boatnerd has been born ready for this moment and journey to being now!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Any typical photo editor will allow you to resize the photo for us, Denny. Perhaps in the meantime you could describe it for us? I am sure the sailors reading this will want to know what to look for in order to salute you, especially if Captain Bob and the PRT should happen to come by!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts and heartfelt along with encouraging words as they are most appreciated. Unfortunately for me, I'm not a very good learner on technology so I've never sent a photo at least here on the Discussion Board as I tried it today but could not understand how to do it as my photo size was too big so I just gave it up. At some point will try to send the sign photos into boatnerd and see what they can do. Sure over time and may not be until Winter when things shut down and I have more free time on my hands, will figure out a way to send in some photos for you all okay.
Dan McNeil

Unread post by Dan McNeil »

Denny,
I am truly sorry about the loss of your Mom. I know how hard it had to be for you seeing her go downhill so fast and ultimately passing on. Haveing met both her and your father a couple of times when i was a teenager i know they both were very wonderful people and very warm and nice people to talk with. You as well as your parents were truly wonderful friends with my Aunt and Uncle and two Cousins Mark and Richard. My Uncle told me a few good stories about times they spent with you and your parents. I know how you feel inside haveing lost my mom when i was 16. It's going to be a hard road ahead but always remember that you're Mom is in a wonderful place now and is healthy and painfree and she has been reunited with you're father as well as my Aunt and Uncle and Cousin. Her and your father will always be in your heart and a bright shinning star in the clear night sky shinning bright over you. Oneday when the time comes you also will be reunited with them. I think they would both want you to get to the River and do what you love most and chase the boats.
Not a day goes by that i don't think about my mom and she passed away going on now 18 years. Trust me things do get better but you will never forget her and as i said she will always be in your heart. Everything happens for a reason and God doesn't put us threw anything he knows we can't handle.
I think you're sign for your 25th Anniversary on the St. Clair River as well as dedicating all salutes to your parents is very sweet and a wonderful idea as a tribute to them. Im very glad you made it out to the river again.
You and you're brothers will continue to be in mine and my wife Amy's thought's and prayers. Hang in there my friend it will get easier as time goes by just do the things you enjoy doing and keep your head held high and make your parents proud by continuing to stay strong and making the most out of everyday. I'm always here for you if you ever need anything dont ever hesitate to ask. [email protected] is mine and my wife's joint e-mail address. Drop me a email when you have time and i will send you my cell phone number.
Take care my friend and may God Bless you and your family.
Dan McNeil
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

Go for it, Denny! While you're watching and photographing the passing ships, your mother's spirit will be with you, sharing the experience! What a way to celebrate the end of two years of all those emotional, physical, and mental challenges you faced. Life is too short and a gift we are meant to enjoy. This is truly a new beginning for you and a milestone on your life's journey. Take your sign, your camera, and your expectations of having a truly great adventure -- including a salute from PRT! We'll be looking for the photos right here! Blessings, my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well my boatnerd friends, it is done and finished as today we finally finished up our Silver Anniversary and 25 year sign and celebration on the St. Clair River. I plan to use the sign as much and as often as I can just so long as the weather is good and not too windy as I will not use the sign on very windy days so as not to lose it in the wind or worse have it torn to shreds as I've had that happen before on a few of my signs. The sign itself looks awesome and after spending more than two days painting both the front and back, it was a lot of long hard struggling work but soon the work will pay off with plenty of awards at the river I hope. Now all I can say and ask very soon at the river is "Where is the Big Paul?" I still cannot believe that I have not seen the Big Queen since 2015 believe it or not, but so much too has happened in my life in the last two years as to why I have not seen her either. If you excuse once in 2015 to where I saw her downbound at Marine City on a split coal load, the last time that I really saw her downbound fully loaded in St. Clair was in 2013! This is how I am hoping to see them again sometime this fall. Just hope that I can get some salutes from Captain Bob as I don't think he's seen me enough or knows me as well as Captain Mitch Hallin and Tim Dayton did when both were in command of her. Even when Captain Bob was on the James R. Barker before the PRT, we didn't see or know each other very much. So I'm hoping to establish a freindship with Captain Bob whenever I see him and the PRT again someday. 3 Long 2 Short to all my boatnerd friends as very soon the journey will begin for me!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

For anyone reading this post I've also yet to inform and tell all of you that I've even come up with an awesome term and saying as well for the fall or autumn season for my 25th anniversary season on the St. Clair River. We've all heard the term "Fall Grain Rush and the USCG often uses Operation Taconite and Coal Shuttle and a few other names as well right?" Well, this boatnerd has his own term for the fall season of 2017 on the St. Clair River but we have all heard the term "The Hunt for Red October and the movie as well right?" Well boatnerds you have yet to hear of the following term and saying "Operation Autumn Thunder but give it some time yet and you soon will know and hear exactly what Autumn Thunder is all about!" Unfortunately I don't have any hats or T-shirts made up with that saying as I just came up with recently but, maybe for my Christmas gift this year my family could possibly have it made up on a hat or shirt as you never know? Just remember the saying and the phrase folks as there will be "Autumn Thunder during the fall of 2017 on the St. Clair River as I personally guarantee it!"
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well boatnerd and friends, today we took a huge and giant step up and forged ahead as we prepare for our opening day officially on the St. Clair River and also commentating our 25th anniversary season! For anyone that wants to be critical just one thing you have No clue then what I've gone through this year much less in the past two or so months with my Mom and now with her passing! Today I worked on my 25 years at the river sign all day long as far as painting it up and man does it look sharp! The front side is done and ready but now I have to paint up the back side which will be another long day ahead! I also plan to eventually work on a 45th birthday sign as well for the Roger Blough but, first things first as I have to get the 25 years one done first as that is the most important sign for now. Granted I do know that I'm late with boatnerd king and boatwatching this year but better late than never. Really looking forward to starting up soon as we celebrate our 25th season on the St. Clair River and also move ahead and forward as well toward our 500th River Trip down the road someday as well. Lots of history yet to be written on the river folks!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks as always for your comments and encouraging words and also thoughtfulness Howard as they are most appreciated. As far as a few things you mentioned in your post about scanning photos and having them put here on boatnerd. While I agree that this would indeed be a great and wonderful thing to do someday, right now the timing of that idea right now is not the greatest. Unfortunately with my Mom's passing, there is just so much to do and very little spare time to do a lot of stuff in. By next summer, I will be living somewhere else and U have to try and get as much things done as possible before then and what makes it more difficult is I just started to learn the scanning of photos just recently and right now I haven't learned yet how to scan large items mainly 8x10 stuff as it wants to cut it off badly which will drive me bananas especially my patience level. Just wish it didn't cost so much to get the old photos put on digital but, with so many that I've taken through the years unfortunately the cost is just too great and much for me to do that so it is what it is. Second, you talked about my stories and again YES at some point in time I will try to start them up as well but again go back to what I just said about the photo scanning stuff as I've gotten so many things to do for this winter and beyond that the stories may have to stay on the shelf for a while yet. I figure it may take the rest of this year and most all of next year to get over my Mom's passing and even more, getting used to living in a different home and environment as well for a while too. It's going to take some time for me to get my life back on track and right now I'm just taking it one day and step at a time and trying not to rush into things too quickly as I don't need other issues right now as I have enough to deal with presently. You are right though about my Mom's passing though as far as the hurt and pain will slowly go away in time as both my parents were what I'd say my two best friends and now with both gone it will be difficult for a while but as many have said "Good and better days and times are still ahead for me and that the memories of my folks will never fade away as those will always be with me no matter where life's journey takes me and whatever roads I may find and travel upon!" I will always though and forever be a boatnerd and boatwatcher as nothing will ever change on that note as someday and hopefully a long someday to come, I will die a boatnerd and boatwatcher and nobody can take that one away from me no matter what! Thanks again Howard.