Sherwin Propeller

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
LakesMariner

Re: Sherwin Propeller

Unread post by LakesMariner »

It's conversion to a self unloader has no connection to it's propeller. The propeller would be highly skewed variable pitch. The Sherwin's coal bunker was converted to two large heavy fuel tanks in the location of most existing loop casings (midship). This is reason that should she be repowered and converted to self unloader, the boom and loop casing would be located at the forward end. The Sherwin's engine room is currently gutted.
Randy S

Unread post by Randy S »

What is odd is looking at it from what would be the hull or forward side when the normal view - when mounted in place - would be from the other side
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

Definitely one of the strangest looking props I have ever seen on a freighter an one of the few that isn't a composite prop.
Ludington Rob

Unread post by Ludington Rob »

Sherwin may indeed end up at the breakers. However, at this point, I would be somewhat surprised. Reportedly, the boat is in decent condition and ready for new engines. THere aren't many hulls around that can be re-activated. Why hang on to the Sherwin for 20+ years and scrap her now?
guesty

Unread post by guesty »

Prior to the economic downturn, the Sherwin was scheduled to get two new diesels, a new reduction gearbox and a KaMeWa controllable pitch propeller. All this equipment wound up being used in the Kaye E. Barker.

http://www.interlake-steamship.com/inde ... ummer.html

It appears that the Oberstar, Sherwin, Barker and Lee Tregurtha all were scheduled to receive identical power plants. My guess is that the plan is to the Jackson the same way as well, although that may be affected by Interlake's plans to go to LNG for fuel.
beenoner

Unread post by beenoner »

The new propeller will likely be a highly skewed, controllable-pitch propeller, made specifically for her new propulsion plant.
Jared

Unread post by Jared »

From what this forum has discussed in the past and looking at her present condition, I think the consensus is that she will be heading to the scrapyard instead of being converted. The economy has to pick way up in order to bring her back into service. I'd hate to see what's going to happen to the two freighters laid up in Toledo along the with Ryerson.
Chief

Unread post by Chief »

If the Sherwin ever sails again she will probably have a diesel which will will require a Controllable Pitch Propeller (CPP).
Scott

Sherwin Propeller

Unread post by Scott »

Saw the propeller of the John Sherwin in todays image gallery. My question is this, should Interlake decide to convert the Sherwin to a self unloader what propeller will the the ship use?