What to my wondering eyes...

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Bookworm

Re: What to my wondering eyes..

Unread post by Bookworm »

River traffic at a steady flow -- especially yesterday evening, when I captured four up-bounders and one down, within 20 minutes!
Attachments
Now serving light snacks and refreshments on our patio deck, located on the bow...
Now serving light snacks and refreshments on our patio deck, located on the bow...
Indiana Harbor (Ashtabula) at Stag Island.
Indiana Harbor (Ashtabula) at Stag Island.
Algoma Conveyor was headed down river but made a quick turn around and was at Goderich last night.
Algoma Conveyor was headed down river but made a quick turn around and was at Goderich last night.
Michipicoten (Marquette) built in 1952, first carried the name of Elton Hoyt-2.
Michipicoten (Marquette) built in 1952, first carried the name of Elton Hoyt-2.
Following close behind, Ojibway (Two Harbors) was also built in 1952, but  has had multiple name changes.
Following close behind, Ojibway (Two Harbors) was also built in 1952, but has had multiple name changes.
Edgar B. Speer (Two Harbors) draws attention from pleasure craft along the way.
Edgar B. Speer (Two Harbors) draws attention from pleasure craft along the way.
Fleet-mate Arthur M. Anderson (Calcite) with a frothy bow wake.
Fleet-mate Arthur M. Anderson (Calcite) with a frothy bow wake.
Frontenac (Nanticoke) leaves Chemical Valley behind.
Frontenac (Nanticoke) leaves Chemical Valley behind.

Unread post by Guest »

What I surprise to my wandering eye -- a special message at the Bean Dock Electronic Sign -- Congratulations Dawn C Roberts!!
Bookworm

Yesterday's traffic was recorded in two segments, and Paul R. Tregurtha provided the most interesting. At Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse Park, a couple and several children from southern Ohio were heading back to the car when a, huge, moving bow caught the attention of one of them. Someone gasped...everyone turned...cell phones began clicking... questions flew through the air... When they learned their very first ever sighting of a Great Lakes ship was one over 1,000 feet long and the Queen of the Lakes...
Attachments
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) passing the sandy beach at Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse Park.
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) passing the sandy beach at Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse Park.
Cason J. Callaway (Detroit) off Stag Island.
Cason J. Callaway (Detroit) off Stag Island.
USCG boat making waves as she responds to a call from a pleasure craft.
USCG boat making waves as she responds to a call from a pleasure craft.
Tanker Algonorth at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. She slipped out during the early morning hours with a destination of Nanticoke.
Tanker Algonorth at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. She slipped out during the early morning hours with a destination of Nanticoke.
Traveling between Port Huron and Marysville, on Gratiot Avenue, there are both upper and lower viewing areas of the river and tankers at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. Occasionally, a tug/barge is docked here, as well.
Traveling between Port Huron and Marysville, on Gratiot Avenue, there are both upper and lower viewing areas of the river and tankers at the lower Sarnia fuel dock. Occasionally, a tug/barge is docked here, as well.
Bookworm

Winds have died down and the river is again calm and peaceful.
Attachments
Saltie Nadja, with a load of windmill blades destined for Thunder Bay.
Saltie Nadja, with a load of windmill blades destined for Thunder Bay.
Twilight colors the skies as Edgar B. Speer (Conneaut) passes Chemical Valley.
Twilight colors the skies as Edgar B. Speer (Conneaut) passes Chemical Valley.
Mesabi Miner (Superior) above Stag Island.
Mesabi Miner (Superior) above Stag Island.
Fleet-mates Mesabi Miner and Kaye E. Barker meeting in Chemical Valley.
Fleet-mates Mesabi Miner and Kaye E. Barker meeting in Chemical Valley.
Kaye E. Barker (767') and Mesabi Miner (1,004') passing
Kaye E. Barker (767') and Mesabi Miner (1,004') passing
Kaye E. Barker (Toledo) approaches Marysville.
Kaye E. Barker (Toledo) approaches Marysville.
Bookworm

Lots of saltie traffic, with an occasional freighter or tanker, on the St. Clair River these days.
Attachments
Algoma Innovator (Goderich) at Marysville.
Algoma Innovator (Goderich) at Marysville.
Irma (Gibraltar) leaves Marysville behind.
Irma (Gibraltar) leaves Marysville behind.
Minutes later, Federal Hudson (Montreal) follows Irma -- as AIS indicates they're still doing 24 hours later.
Minutes later, Federal Hudson (Montreal) follows Irma -- as AIS indicates they're still doing 24 hours later.
Ruddy (Thunder Bay) airing her cargo holds at the upper end of Stag Island.
Ruddy (Thunder Bay) airing her cargo holds at the upper end of Stag Island.
Bookworm

My favorite kind of weather and a good amount of ship traffic today on the St. Clair River.
Attachments
Steamer Alpena (Alpena) pushing a beautiful bow wake as she approaches Marysville.
Steamer Alpena (Alpena) pushing a beautiful bow wake as she approaches Marysville.
Tanker Algoterra at Sarnia's Esso Refinery.
Tanker Algoterra at Sarnia's Esso Refinery.
Calumet (Manistee) in Chemical Valley.
Calumet (Manistee) in Chemical Valley.
Saltie Federal Dee (Sorel) off Stag Island.
Saltie Federal Dee (Sorel) off Stag Island.
Saltie Erieborg (Green Bay) at Marysville.
Saltie Erieborg (Green Bay) at Marysville.
Tug Laura L. VanEnkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson (Marysville) on approach to the Bluewater Aggregates facility.
Tug Laura L. VanEnkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson (Marysville) on approach to the Bluewater Aggregates facility.
Cross-wise of the river as she slowly turns to access the dock.
Cross-wise of the river as she slowly turns to access the dock.
Approaching the dock.
Approaching the dock.
Bookworm

A day of extremes along the St. Clair River. Today may bring more of the same and then severe weather to top it all off!
Attachments
Venerable freighter John G. Munson (Marine City) approaching the River Crab.
Venerable freighter John G. Munson (Marine City) approaching the River Crab.
Everything money can buy for personal pleasure. Infinity, with no noted destination making good speed down river at Stag Island.
Everything money can buy for personal pleasure. Infinity, with no noted destination making good speed down river at Stag Island.
Bookworm

Took a trip downriver this morning and discovered that was where the boats were!
Attachments
Built in 1908 on Peche Island. In the 1980s it was about to collapse, so the Coast Guard replaced it and brought the old tower to shore. Now the centerpiece of the Marine City waterfront, it still retains its (inactive) 6th order Fresnel lens.
Built in 1908 on Peche Island. In the 1980s it was about to collapse, so the Coast Guard replaced it and brought the old tower to shore. Now the centerpiece of the Marine City waterfront, it still retains its (inactive) 6th order Fresnel lens.
G3 Marquis (Superior) approaching Marine City.
G3 Marquis (Superior) approaching Marine City.
Algoscotia (Halifax) didn't stay long at Sarnia and had already reached Marine City by mid morning.
Algoscotia (Halifax) didn't stay long at Sarnia and had already reached Marine City by mid morning.
Manitowoc discharging at the Marine City Aggregates facility.
Manitowoc discharging at the Marine City Aggregates facility.
Busy scene at the Marine City Aggregates facility.
Busy scene at the Marine City Aggregates facility.
CSL Laurentien (No current destination) approaching Marysville.
CSL Laurentien (No current destination) approaching Marysville.
BBC Norfolk (Rotterdam, Netherlands) at Stag Island in mid afternoon.
BBC Norfolk (Rotterdam, Netherlands) at Stag Island in mid afternoon.
Bookworm

A beautiful cool and sunny day on the St. Clair River.
Attachments
Algoma Conveyor (Toledo) started her trip in Green Bay.
Algoma Conveyor (Toledo) started her trip in Green Bay.
Tanker Algoscotia (Sarnia) entering Chemical Valley.
Tanker Algoscotia (Sarnia) entering Chemical Valley.
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) up-bound for another load of coal.
Paul R. Tregurtha (Superior) up-bound for another load of coal.
American Mariner (Buffalo) at Stag Island, with a cargo of wheat.
American Mariner (Buffalo) at Stag Island, with a cargo of wheat.
Bookworm

Recent high temperatures have kept me mostly at home, but still caught a saltie, freighter, and tug/barge in the past few days.
Attachments
Saltie Andean (Thunder Bay) at Stag Island.
Saltie Andean (Thunder Bay) at Stag Island.
Stern view.
Stern view.
Classic lady Cuyahoga approaching the River Crab.
Classic lady Cuyahoga approaching the River Crab.
Samuel de Champlain and barge Innovator (Bay City) in Chemical Valley.
Samuel de Champlain and barge Innovator (Bay City) in Chemical Valley.
Bookworm

Sun and high temperatures (91° in late afternoon) Tuesday saw a steady stream of both up-bound and down-bound ship traffic as well as a variety of pleasure craft on the St. Clair River.
Attachments
Kaye E. Barker (Ashtabula) approaching the Junction Buoy in the early morning hours.
Kaye E. Barker (Ashtabula) approaching the Junction Buoy in the early morning hours.
Algoma Conveyor (Goderich) at St. Clair.
Algoma Conveyor (Goderich) at St. Clair.
Tug Anglian Lady and barge (Detroit) at St. Clair.
Tug Anglian Lady and barge (Detroit) at St. Clair.
Belying her age (67) Anglian Lady is pushing for all she's worth and making good speed.
Belying her age (67) Anglian Lady is pushing for all she's worth and making good speed.
Algoma Harvester (Thunder Bay) above Marysville.
Algoma Harvester (Thunder Bay) above Marysville.
Great Republic (Gary, IN) at Marysville, sitting lower in the water than I've ever seen.
Great Republic (Gary, IN) at Marysville, sitting lower in the water than I've ever seen.
Blair McKeil (Quebec) below Marysville.
Blair McKeil (Quebec) below Marysville.
Tanker Amber Bay (Sarnia) at Stag Island. This is a new one for me.
Tanker Amber Bay (Sarnia) at Stag Island. This is a new one for me.
Tug Albert and barge Margaret (Green Bay) at the River Crab. Major changes in Albert's paint scheme since I last saw this pair.
Tug Albert and barge Margaret (Green Bay) at the River Crab. Major changes in Albert's paint scheme since I last saw this pair.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Bookworm wrote:
garbear wrote:Jackson has always been one of my favorite boats. She was a real "looker" before she got the boom. Nice shot!
Thanks. Which of the fleets did you sail with, Garbear? I thought it was Great Lakes.
USS/GLF.
Bookworm

I'll not be going to the river today. With fewer ships, a sadness is creeping into my spirit. So, with photos from my archives, I'm celebrating the ones that never came out of winter lay-up and those who began the 2020-21 shipping season but went back to indefinite layup within several weeks, also noing their current location. Did I miss any?
Attachments
Algoma Compass (Owen Sound) refueling at the Corunna/Shell dock.
Algoma Compass (Owen Sound) refueling at the Corunna/Shell dock.
Algoma Discovery (Montreal) up-bound at the Junction Buoy.
Algoma Discovery (Montreal) up-bound at the Junction Buoy.
Algoma Spirit (Sarnia) at Stag Island
Algoma Spirit (Sarnia) at Stag Island
American Century (Toledo) with only a few signs of winter left and the historic (no longer standing) DTE facility in the background.
American Century (Toledo) with only a few signs of winter left and the historic (no longer standing) DTE facility in the background.
American Spirit (Toledo) in-your-face as she approaches the Junction Buoy.
American Spirit (Toledo) in-your-face as she approaches the Junction Buoy.
John J. Boland (Sturgeon Bay) heading under the Bluewater Bridges and onto Lake Huron.
John J. Boland (Sturgeon Bay) heading under the Bluewater Bridges and onto Lake Huron.
American Integrity (Sturgeon Bay)in Chemical Valley, wearing a wintry coat of ice.
American Integrity (Sturgeon Bay)in Chemical Valley, wearing a wintry coat of ice.
Sam Laud (Toledo) passing Marine City at dusk.
Sam Laud (Toledo) passing Marine City at dusk.
H. Lee White (Sturgeon Bay) off Stag Island.
H. Lee White (Sturgeon Bay) off Stag Island.
Hon. James L. Oberstar (Sturgeon Bay) passing the riverwalk gardens at Marysville.
Hon. James L. Oberstar (Sturgeon Bay) passing the riverwalk gardens at Marysville.
Lee A. Tregurtha (Superior) being met by the pilot boat.
Lee A. Tregurtha (Superior) being met by the pilot boat.
Robert S. Pierson (Sarnia) at Marine City.
Robert S. Pierson (Sarnia) at Marine City.
Bookworm

garbear wrote:Jackson has always been one of my favorite boats. She was a real "looker" before she got the boom. Nice shot!
Thanks. Which of the fleets did you sail with, Garbear? I thought it was Great Lakes.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jackson has always been one of my favorite boats. She was a real "looker" before she got the boom. Nice shot!
Bookworm

Sunny skies, rising winds, and temperatures in the 40°s made it feel more like late April, but it was a great morning to photograph ships at the Bluewater Bridges.
Attachments
Interlake's Herbert C. Jackson (Cleveland) starts my morning of ship "shooting".
Interlake's Herbert C. Jackson (Cleveland) starts my morning of ship "shooting".
Canada Steamship Company's Whitefish Bay (Chicago) sounded a "5-blast salute" to scatter a fleet of fishing boats clustered in its path.
Canada Steamship Company's Whitefish Bay (Chicago) sounded a "5-blast salute" to scatter a fleet of fishing boats clustered in its path.
McKeil Marine's Evans Spirit (Thunder Bay) leaves relatively calm waters and enters Lake Huron.
McKeil Marine's Evans Spirit (Thunder Bay) leaves relatively calm waters and enters Lake Huron.
One of the Fednav fleet, saltie Federal Hudson (Duluth) approaching the Bluewater Bridges.
One of the Fednav fleet, saltie Federal Hudson (Duluth) approaching the Bluewater Bridges.
Lower Lake's Robert S. Pierson in lay-up at Sarnia.
Lower Lake's Robert S. Pierson in lay-up at Sarnia.
Pennants aboard USCG Hollyhock snapping smartly in the brisk morning breeze.
Pennants aboard USCG Hollyhock snapping smartly in the brisk morning breeze.
Sitting in my car, something close to shore and moving low over the water caught my attention. Not a bird. Not a dragonfly. A drone! The first "live" one I've ever seen.
Sitting in my car, something close to shore and moving low over the water caught my attention. Not a bird. Not a dragonfly. A drone! The first "live" one I've ever seen.
Bookworm

Gorgeous Saturday with footer, freighter, tanker and tug/barge representation on the St. Clair River.
Attachments
Paul R. Tregurtha, Interlake's pride, approaches Marysville with a split load of coal for the St. Clair and Monroe Power plants.
Paul R. Tregurtha, Interlake's pride, approaches Marysville with a split load of coal for the St. Clair and Monroe Power plants.
Equinox class freighter Algoma Sault (Hamilton) was built in China and is 740 ft. long.
Equinox class freighter Algoma Sault (Hamilton) was built in China and is 740 ft. long.
Cason J. Callaway (Ashtabula) has been through the best of times and the worst of times but is still going strong after 68 years of service.
Cason J. Callaway (Ashtabula) has been through the best of times and the worst of times but is still going strong after 68 years of service.
Saginaw (Meldrum Bay) is a mere year younger and still looking classy off Stag Island.
Saginaw (Meldrum Bay) is a mere year younger and still looking classy off Stag Island.
The last I checked, colorful tanker Harbour Fashion was still at Sarnia but she got orders (Hamilton) so I chased her down to the River Crab.
The last I checked, colorful tanker Harbour Fashion was still at Sarnia but she got orders (Hamilton) so I chased her down to the River Crab.
Tanker Algoma Hansa returning to Sarnia.
Tanker Algoma Hansa returning to Sarnia.
Edwin H. Gott (Nanticoke) off the Junction Buoy, in Marysville.
Edwin H. Gott (Nanticoke) off the Junction Buoy, in Marysville.
Quite a surprise to see Victory at the Bluewater Aggregates dock in Marysville. Her destination was "Belle River."
Quite a surprise to see Victory at the Bluewater Aggregates dock in Marysville. Her destination was "Belle River."
Bookworm

A wild weather day with plenty of river traffic.
Attachments
Tug/barge fleet-mates Clyde S. and Laura L. VanEnkevort met and salute at RECOR. Towers from the Canadian side of the river rise behind the barge, Erie Trader.
Tug/barge fleet-mates Clyde S. and Laura L. VanEnkevort met and salute at RECOR. Towers from the Canadian side of the river rise behind the barge, Erie Trader.
Tug Laura L. VanEnkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson (Detroit) above Marine City.
Tug Laura L. VanEnkevort and barge Joseph H. Thompson (Detroit) above Marine City.
As I waited for ship traffic, a line of heavy rain reached my position but there was shelter and my rain gear, so life went on...
As I waited for ship traffic, a line of heavy rain reached my position but there was shelter and my rain gear, so life went on...
Tug Spartan with her barge (Bath, Ontario, Canada) at Stag Island.
Tug Spartan with her barge (Bath, Ontario, Canada) at Stag Island.
A closer look at tug Spartan.
A closer look at tug Spartan.
Federal Satsuki (Montreal) at Stag Island.
Federal Satsuki (Montreal) at Stag Island.
Algoma Strongfield (Thunder Bay) at the River Crab.
Algoma Strongfield (Thunder Bay) at the River Crab.
Manitoulin (no current destination) leaves the heavy rain behind.
Manitoulin (no current destination) leaves the heavy rain behind.
Tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder (Green Bay) above the River Crab.
Tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder (Green Bay) above the River Crab.
With clear skies and sunshine, Philip R. Clarke (Marine City) is stunning against the deep turquoise of Lake Huron.
With clear skies and sunshine, Philip R. Clarke (Marine City) is stunning against the deep turquoise of Lake Huron.
The dock at River Crab. Next time I go there to "shoot ships," it will likely be under water!
The dock at River Crab. Next time I go there to "shoot ships," it will likely be under water!
The park above Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse. This was all beach -- even beyond the breakwall -- until last year.
The park above Ft. Gratiot Lighthouse. This was all beach -- even beyond the breakwall -- until last year.
Bookworm

Rainy morning the length of the St. Clair River, but fleet-mates saluting each other added a major bright spot for me.
Attachments
Salvage Monarch (Green Bay) approaching Marysville in early morning light.
Salvage Monarch (Green Bay) approaching Marysville in early morning light.
John D. Leitch (Chicago) attracted a small crowd of admirers at the Marysville Boat Launch.
John D. Leitch (Chicago) attracted a small crowd of admirers at the Marysville Boat Launch.
Unique pilot house and crew quarters of the John D. Leitch.
Unique pilot house and crew quarters of the John D. Leitch.
Mississagi (Cedarville) at upper Stag Island.
Mississagi (Cedarville) at upper Stag Island.
Calumet (Cleveland) and Mississagi exchange a salute as they meet near the Junction Buoy.
Calumet (Cleveland) and Mississagi exchange a salute as they meet near the Junction Buoy.
Classic and more modern designs in these fleet-mates.
Classic and more modern designs in these fleet-mates.
Bookworm

So much traffic today I couldn't keep up with it all!
Attachments
Tanker Algonorth returning to Sarnia yesterday, after being in the Seaway area for a few weeks.
Tanker Algonorth returning to Sarnia yesterday, after being in the Seaway area for a few weeks.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Toledo) approaching the big curve above Marysville.
Tug Victory and barge Maumee (Toledo) approaching the big curve above Marysville.
Algoma Spirit in the Sarnia slip.
Algoma Spirit in the Sarnia slip.
Saltie Federal Rhine loading at the Sarnia Government Dock.
Saltie Federal Rhine loading at the Sarnia Government Dock.
Saltie Federal Bristol (Montreal) at the Bluewater Bridges.
Saltie Federal Bristol (Montreal) at the Bluewater Bridges.
Federal Bristol crew enjoying summertime temperatures and fresh air.
Federal Bristol crew enjoying summertime temperatures and fresh air.
Algoma Mariner (Green Bay) above Marysville after refueling at the Corunna/Shell Dock.
Algoma Mariner (Green Bay) above Marysville after refueling at the Corunna/Shell Dock.
John J. Boland (Port Gypsum /E. Tawas) at Marysville.
John J. Boland (Port Gypsum /E. Tawas) at Marysville.
Tug Clyde S. VanEnkevort and barge Erie Trader (Cleveland) approaching the River Crab.
Tug Clyde S. VanEnkevort and barge Erie Trader (Cleveland) approaching the River Crab.
Workhorse tug Clyde S. VanEnkevort.
Workhorse tug Clyde S. VanEnkevort.
Tug/barge Presque Isle (Conneaut) at lower Stag Island.
Tug/barge Presque Isle (Conneaut) at lower Stag Island.
Colorful, eye-catching objects there.
Colorful, eye-catching objects there.