US & Canada water border

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
wlbblw

Re: US & Canada water border

Unread post by wlbblw »

I think those restrictions are against the crew of a docked ship in port not an ice breaker. I'd guess maybe the Ris was called in to replace Alder on that job possibly due to the ice itself. The tenders are only rated for "light icebreaking" and anything thicker than fresh plate ice is too much for them. Heavy plate ice, thick brash ice, pressure ridges, or wind rows are a non-starter for them. They cut thru the easy stuff but any sort of backing & ramming or other hard core ice breaking is beyond their means.
Bookworm

Unread post by Bookworm »

This is the only official mandate I can find which clearly states the affected boundaries between the United States and Canada:
"In accordance with orders from the United States and Canadian federal authorities, temporary travel restrictions are being placed on all land ports of entry and ferries between the U.S. and Canada, effective at 11:59 p.m. March 20. These restrictions directly impact the Blue Water Bridge (BWB) in Port Huron and the International Bridge in Sault Ste. Marie."
https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0, ... --,00.html
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

The USCGC Neah Bay is now in Georgian Bay to break ice for a ship that will be arriving there in the next day or so. So safe to say the virus is not stopping any US icebreaker from breaking out Canadian ports.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

The source was the Thunder Bay Chronicle Journal. I'd suggest contacting them directly to see where they got their information from.

Contact Us
Main Office
75 S. Cumberland Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 1A3
Canada
General Phone Number: 807.343.6200

Phone Numbers
Newsroom: 807.343.6207
Editorial Page: 807.343.6204

This report said nothing about covid 19, only that the Alder was delayed by "another assignment".

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/ ... nd-2176898
Colin

Unread post by Colin »

Guest wrote:Its true US Icebreaker Alder was supposed to be in TBay last week cancelled cause of the virus......
Does anyone actually have a source for the virus being the reason the Alder got pulled from the Thunder Bay breakout? I am not claiming that it was not, just wondering what the source is. Did the USCG make any sort of statement?
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

To add to this conundrum , Samuel Risley just passed thru the US Soo Locks and will be in US waters at times in the Upper St Mary's River (most likely maintaining the track) and Whitefish Bay.

Unread post by Guest »

Its true US Icebreaker Alder was supposed to be in TBay last week cancelled cause of the virus why I don't know, I assume as was said earlier maybe US Coast Guard needs to have access to medical facilities when operating, and they usually do dock at the Canadian Coast Guard Base overnight when they bust out the harbour.
Colin

Unread post by Colin »

I cannot find any mention of this on the Chronicle Journals website or anywhere else other then that brief mention on the news page credited to the Chronicle Journal but with no source. Has anyone seen it stated anywhere else?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:The newspaper Chronicle Journal said it's due to COVID-19. But they could be wrong!! It wouldn't be the first time. On a side note I've never heard of this paper before. Is it from Thunder Bay?

But Canada and the US recently signed a MOU regarding icebreaking on the lakes, and it's still the same protocols as in the past. They both help each other out when it comes to icebreaking and SAR.
This is a case of government bureaucracy at its finest. The cutter crews don't set foot on Canadian soil, so it shouldn't mean a damn thing to have the Alder break out the harbor.

Maybe they are worried about what they would do if a crew member needed immediate medical attention?

Unread post by Guest »

The newspaper Chronicle Journal said it's due to COVID-19. But they could be wrong!! It wouldn't be the first time. On a side note I've never heard of this paper before. Is it from Thunder Bay?

But Canada and the US recently signed a MOU regarding icebreaking on the lakes, and it's still the same protocols as in the past. They both help each other out when it comes to icebreaking and SAR.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:It's related to COVID-19. Normally, by bilateral agreement, both nations coast guard icebreakers can break ice in the others ports. But COVID-19 has essentially closed the borders between the two countries. That's the issue.
Are you positive that is true? The border is not completely closed, only to non essential travel.
Official government duties like Coast Guard travel would seem to be under most definitions essential particularly when it affects international trade that is vital to both countries.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

One would think that certain exemptions would apply, especially considering the importance of keeping both our countries economy's moving.
If they did logistics out of Duluth and didn't dock in TB during their mission, it seems rather pointless not to do it.
Canadian air space is I presume still open? There would the same non contact situation in either.

Unread post by Guest »

It's related to COVID-19. Normally, by bilateral agreement, both nations coast guard icebreakers can break ice in the others ports. But COVID-19 has essentially closed the borders between the two countries. That's the issue.
Bookworm

US & Canada water border

Unread post by Bookworm »

We're all learning as we go but I'm trying to understand why USCG Alder is prohibited from simply clearing the ice from Canadian waters. Thankfully, it's been a mild winter, but Canada being required to send Samuel Risley from Sarnia (Lake Huron) to Thunder Bay (Lake Superior) has to be expensive.

Does this mean all US flagged vessels must take on fuel only at US facilities? Interestingly, the former ASC boats can still (legally) refuel at the Corunna (Shell) Dock.

The Soo is on the International Boundary, yet seems unaffected. How can this be?