Samuel De Champlain

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Bob+

Re: Samuel De Champlain

Unread post by Bob+ »

The Samuel De Champlain was towed out of the floating dock Wednesday morning and tied up on berth 9.
Chris M

Unread post by Chris M »

She's having alot of work done, nothing to do with demand
Guest_SB

Unread post by Guest_SB »

She is up in the floating drydock at Bay Shipbuilding...seems like there's something physically wrong, rather than industrial problems.
drydock

Unread post by drydock »

As of today, she is in Bay Ships dry dock.

Unread post by Guest »

From what I read a few months back is that new construction starts were down due to the continuing economic problems related to the Covid situation. This would seem to imply there is some weak demand in certain sectors of the cement trade but I have also read that some road construction projects were to begin soon down here in the central part of the US but I don't know if that will benefit shipments on the lakes,
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To answer some of your questions, No another Andrie tug right now is not pushing the barge Innovation. Second and lastly, I don’t think the demand for cement is down as I’m sure there’s a reason why the SDC is still at Sturgeon Bay. All other cement tugs and barges along with the Alpena are all out sailing this year including Canadian tugs and barges for St. Marys Cement Canada and ships that carry cement for the NACC fleet. Hope this helps.
drydock

Samuel De Champlain

Unread post by drydock »

Any word on the status? She has been at Bay Ship since Dec 2. Is one of the other Andrie tugs pushing the Innovation or is cement demand down this spring? Usually the cement boats run longer then the freighters.