EM Ford scrapping is under way

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
tugboathunter

Re: EM Ford scrapping is under way

Unread post by tugboathunter »

PML Ironmaster has been a barge her entire career, she was not converted from a powered vessel. As for E.M. Ford, her forward cargo section is gone as well, so they have to plans to use her as a cement barge.

Unread post by Guest »

The R LeLievre photos of the EM Ford & Barge Iron Master side-by-side is interesting because of the similar aspects to their bows. Is the EM Ford being turned into a barge or scrapped?
Pete in Holland MI

Unread post by Pete in Holland MI »

Judging by the photos from today, it appears the EM has been turned around in the slip. When I saw her on July 5th, she had her bow pointed into the slip.

Must be gearing up to pull machinery from the engine room, as the entire engine room was exposed to the sky when I was there.

As of my visit to Jack Purvis on July 5th, there had been a couple inquiries on the main engine, but nobody has stepped up to claim it. Jack estimated that it will cost $60,000 to remove the engine intact that the future owner would have to bear. Although he is a steam guy, he is also a business man, and won't invest in the $60,000, only to have it sit on the dock for a few years, then end up cutting it up later.

please - - if you know of a group who would be interested in saving this engine, call Jack Purvis at Purvis Marine now. by the end of July 2012, it will be too late !

Pete
Steamman

Unread post by Steamman »

Where can we find photoes of the EM Ford being scrapped? thanks
Richard Jenkins

Unread post by Richard Jenkins »

The latest photos show that scrapping of the E.M. Ford's stern is well underway. This is odd because they started at the bow and she is bow-in to the slip, and typically ships are scrapped starting at one end and working their way to the other. On the Ford they skipped from the bow to the stern with plenty of intact cargo hold still in between. I can only imagine they did this to get to the engine, so I'm guessing somebody must have stepped up and claimed it. Anybody have more info?
fireman12

Unread post by fireman12 »

Thanks Pete in Holland . I am presently in discussions with a museum here where I live , they expressed a lot of interest . Tomorrow I`ll be talking to someone specifically about this engine , as well as the E.M. Ford`s history and a preliminary plan for it`s inception into the museum .

I`ll also be in touch with Jack Purvis as well , I had to wait on the museum`s initial response first . I`ll keep everyone posted on developments as we move along with this I hope to be ` Save the Ford`s Engine ` project .
Pete in Holland MI

Purvis Marine
1 Pim Street
Saulte Ste Marie, ON P6A3G3

Phone number: 705-253-3038

Every time I have called, Jack Purvis, the owner, has answered the phone.

Pete
fireman12

Sure , it`s D.W. Covey and my email address is

[email protected]

No non related responses please , and does anyone know how far along the scrapping is as I`m worried about the engine being exposed to the elements . Jack may remember me but it`s been over 20 years , we were involved in talks about the Avenger IV and it`s on again off again Metis cement barge contract .

Unread post by Guest »

How about posting a real name and contact information. If people are going to contact Puvis for you they will need a way to reach you.
fireman12

I could use some assistance here as I am presently in discussion with a museum here in eastern Canada to try and get the engine for their museum . I`m having trouble contacting the right person through Purvis Marine`s website and phone toll charges make it cost prohibitive .

Can anyone who lives up in the Soo , or better still who knows Jack please contact him and let him know of my efforts asap before anything happens to ruin this opportunity. The museum has the room for it , it`s the logistics of the move that need to be worked out .
MN Boater

Unread post by MN Boater »

Jay Leno has a couple of working steam engines, and a boiler to run them. Wonder if he'd like another one?
Pete in Holland MI

EM Ford scrapping is under way

A call today to Jack Purvis of Purvis Marine discovered that the EM Ford is well under way on its scrapping process. They started working on the bow section, working toward the stern. He expects to be in the engine room around July 1.

Conversations I had with him several months ago showed that he would really like to find a home for its quadruple expansion steam engine.

His offer is to "give" the engine to an organization, provided they pay for the removal from the ship. Not sure what those costs would be, but it won't be free. Transport of such a large engine will also be an issue (22' high), unless it is broken down into smaller pieces.

If your organization is interested in this historic engine, act quickly! If you know of an organization who might have interest, let them know soon to contact Jack.

If a suitable home cannot be found, it will be broken up.

The clock is ticking.

Pete