HCJ

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Boatkitten

Re: HCJ

Unread post by Boatkitten »

Hi,
Thanks Les. That's great news about the Soo Ontario cam.
Herbert Jackson passed back through Detroit a little while ago. She's on Lake St. Clair again, upbound now. I think she's going to Stoneport. Hope I catch her at Bluewater.
Les Weston

Unread post by Les Weston »

Hey, Boatkitten. In case you hadn't noticed, Soo Canada Cam is up and running.
Boatkitten

She was beautiful all lit up late last night.
Boatkitten

Saw the Jackson at Bluewater about 19:00. They're on Lake St. Clair now bound for the Rouge. Will try to see her in Detroit, if I can in the dark.
danny

Unread post by danny »

You would have to contact using an address or phone number found on the webcam site. They are the only ones who will know status/repair times.
Boatkitten

I usually watch ships at Soo on the Soo Ontario cam, but it was frozen since 3:18 yesterday, or 15:18. It's still frozen today. How long does it usually take before they get it going?
Boatkitten

Herbert Jackson through Soo Locks again bound for the Rouge.
Attachments
hcam1-5 (3)-Soo.jpg
hcam2-10.jpg
hcam4-5.jpg
Timerover51

Unread post by Timerover51 »

Guest wrote:Like all other military decorations, the medal of honor is "earned" and "awarded". It is not "won".
I apologize for the mistake in terminology. Rodger definitely earned it.
Boatkitten

Hi,
Maybe someday I will get to see HCJ up close & personal. You never can tell. Nice thought about getting on her, not holding my breath though.
Thanks for the web addresses. Will check the videos out. Maybe it will be different than the few I've seen. Thanks.
The new name for the ship sounds interesting. I will have to check out the info. about that man.
Thanks guys.

Unread post by Guest »

Like all other military decorations, the medal of honor is "earned" and "awarded". It is not "won".
Timerover51

Boatkitten wrote:The Jackson locked through at Soo in the early afternoon today bound for Marquette.
Timerover, What will you name Lady Morency when she's yours?
Boatkitten, two things.

First, as the Boatnerd community should try to get you a trip on the Jackson as such a devoted follower of it.

Second, if I do get the ex-Montmorency, I plan on naming it Rodger Young, after an Ohio National Guardsman who won the Medal of Honor posthumously on the island of New Georgia in the Solomon Islands on July 31, 1943. I will be operating off of the northeast coast of New Georgia.

For the story of Rodger Young, see the following website:
http://www.homeofheroes.com/profiles/pr ... young.html

And for the science-fiction readers in the community, that is the same Rodger Young that the troop transport in Robert Heinlein's book Starship Troopers is named after.
Boatkitten

The Jackson locked through at Soo in the early afternoon today bound for Marquette.
Timerover, What will you name Lady Morency when she's yours?
Attachments
rivercamCA6635UH.jpg
rivercamCA6635UH.jpg (50.13 KiB) Viewed 4846 times
cam3.jpg
hcam3-3.jpg
Timerover51

Boatkitten wrote:Timerover, Aren't you the guy that's buying a ship?
Maybe the Montmorency, or something like that?
You are correct, Boatkitten. I am working at purchasing the ex-CCGS Montmorency, currently named the Lady Morency. She is presently in Newfoundland, and I hope to inspect her at the end of August. While I am planning to take her to the South Pacific first, I also hope to have her on the Lakes as well.

I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago, and remember driving up what was then the Calumet Expressway past the grain elevators on the south end of Calumet Harbor and seeing the Lake boats and ocean-going ships loading. Although I served in the Army, I would have much preferred serving as a naval officer, but my eyesight was no where good enough to get into Annapolis. If you want more information about me, take a look at the National Geographic TV special, The Search for PT-109. I am the person that identifies the wreck. That was a very interesting trip.

I recently went over to Muskegon on the Lake Express ferry out of Milwaukee, sans car, and decided that definitely was superior to driving 5 plus hours through Chicago to get there. The Lake Express is not your typical Lake boat, but is was a nice way to travel.

This site has been a treasure trove of information about the Montmorency as well. Right now, I would have to say she is my favorite ship, and I hope that some day fairly soon, she shows up in the Boatnerd camera at Port Huron, under a new and different name and owner.

Unread post by Guest »

hey boatkitten, have you even been ship watching in real life? its just more amazing to me when i see them outside in the open. so if you havent you should plan a trip to some high traffic boat areas.Also there are 2 good books i have read "Lake Effect" by richard hill and "Deckhand" by mickey haydamaker those books are written by a deckhand back in the 1980's and thought they were very good :D -Chaz(not logged in at the moment)
Boatkitten

Timerover, Aren't you the guy that's buying a ship?
Maybe the Montmorency, or something like that?
Boatkitten

Hi,
The Jackson is my favorite. I like some others too though. The Beeghly is beautiful too. The Wilfred Sykes, the Alpena, American Mariner, Roger Blough, St. Mary's Challenger, & some of the tugs are just beautiful too.
No, I have never visited her, or any ship like these. This is a world I knew nothing about until last Sept.. Had no idea that people lived on these ships & worked like that. Have seen some beautiful things on pictures & cams since then though.
Unless something happens, I watch these cams & check News Photos every day.
Yes Sir, the Jackson is my favorite. Thanks for asking.
Timerover51

Boatkitten wrote:The Jackson is upbound again. Just saw them at Detroit. I think they're going back to Mqt. again. I hope somebody takes more beautiful pictures of her.
Boatkitten, do we get the idea that the Herbert Jackson is your absolutely favorite ship? Have you ever had the chance to visit her?
Boatkitten

The Jackson is upbound again. Just saw them at Detroit. I think they're going back to Mqt. again. I hope somebody takes more beautiful pictures of her.
Boatkitten

I missed the Jackson at Bluewater earlier today. I saw them downbound in Detroit though. Then I watched Charles Beeghly upbound shortly ago. Beautiful, both of them!