Did anyone see the Viking Octantis this morning?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Did anyone see the Viking Octantis this morning?

Unread post by Denny »

I missed my opportunity last week on Tuesday when they were up on the St. Clair River for the first time. Last Tuesday though, the weather then was lousy and horrible with rain and fog both. There was absolutely no way I was going to take my chances trying to drive out there and back to see them and get caught in the rain and fog. Good thing I stayed home and saw them on the web cameras. The visibility was almost down to zero at times on the cameras then. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and see them on the St. Clair River someday and soon. Can’t wait to see this beauty on the river someday!
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Guest wrote:
cpfan wrote:The current cruise is the first Milwaukee to Toronto cruise.
OK, I checked the AIS page yesterday evening and the Viking Octantis was docked at the Detroit Marine Terminal. Gone this morning so on it's way to Toronto.
Point Pelee today (May 12), then Port Colborne(Niagara Falls), and finally Toronto.

Unread post by Guest »

cpfan wrote:The current cruise is the first Milwaukee to Toronto cruise.
OK, I checked the AIS page yesterday evening and the Viking Octantis was docked at the Detroit Marine Terminal. Gone this morning so on it's way to Toronto.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

The current cruise is the first Milwaukee to Toronto cruise.
Port tack Jon

Did anyone see the Viking Octantis this morning?

Unread post by Port tack Jon »

Did anyone see the awesome Viking Octantis, a nearly new polar cruise expeditionary ship, this morning on the Dossin Detroit River webcam, downbound about 0430h CST, 20220511? She's going to be one to watch for.

All I can say is WOW! A fantastic vessel, it even carries two submarines in a giant aft berthing bay.

After it's initial Antarctic cruise in January, it made for the Great Lakes, which will be one of it's main nav areas. It ran a cruise out of Milwaukee last week[?], and is bound for where now?

In looking at the Viking Octantis' cruise schedule I noticed that this big ship is going to make port calls at tiny Killarney Ontario.
Holy octopii! I used to take my oldest kids for vacations to Killarney, back in the '70s.
Any of y'all been to Killarney? The Killarney Provincial Park with the La Cloche mountains was an amazing place fifty years ago [the only road in was quite new]. We have kinfolk there and my aunt spent much time there in the '40-60s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killarney,_Ontario

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking_Octantis

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditio ... antis.html
Attachments
My youngest kids some years ago cruising up our home waters on the Gulf ICW near Aransas Pass, TX; aboard my Robalo CC. The youngest piloting the Beast became a Coastie, since separated, and hubby is active USCG stationed at CGAS-CC.
My youngest kids some years ago cruising up our home waters on the Gulf ICW near Aransas Pass, TX; aboard my Robalo CC. The youngest piloting the Beast became a Coastie, since separated, and hubby is active USCG stationed at CGAS-CC.
MV Viking Octantis
MV Viking Octantis