Update from Denny

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
MarcE

Re: Update from Denny

Unread post by MarcE »

Take care, and have a safe trip sir!
Howard Sprague

Unread post by Howard Sprague »

Well Boatnerds, and especially our good friend Denny D, we ended the season this year with 111 runs to the river, smashing our record and establishing a new benchmark for seasons going forward. Our final ship of the season was the Kaye E. Barker yesterday and wow, was she a great boat to end the season on!

Today we're leaving in a couple of hours to take our RV and go see mother in Florida for about five weeks. Hopefully something will be moving on the river when we get back. To everyone, especially our good friend Denny D, take care and we'll see you all soon outside on the river!
Howard Sprague

Well Boatnerds it's been a while but here's a quick update for you from your good friend Howard before we head out.

We have smashed our record and are up to an astounding 104 river runs so far, including every day so far in 2020. We were out yesterday and got some great photos of the Wally Mac passing the Cheyenne. It sure was good to see the Cheyenne in action again.

We spent Christmas with our friends Andy and Helen and some of their friends, including their son who we hadn't seen in a long time. On New Year's Eve we rang in the new year with the Magruders and Mrs. Magruder's cousin before we headed to the river Wednesday to make the Frontenac and the PRC our first official ships of 2020. I hope everyone's holiday went well and wish everyone a successful boatnerd campaign in 2020. In about ten days we're off to take our RV to Florida for a few weeks to see Mother. When we come back at the end of February we hope there's something moving so we can get a run in during February and say we've made river runs every month of the year. We didn't get out during February last year and it's the first time in a while that's happened. Everyone take care.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Okay everyone it’s that time of year again as we start to enter the days and weeks to come of Winter Lay-Up time we will start to see some odd and funny sayings on ships’ AIS as they prepare for Winter Lay-up soon. What I mean is stuff like Tony Packos in Toledo and Gone Fishing and stuff like that. So, I’m trying to come up with if you will my own goofy sayings IF I had my own AIS like the ships do. For right now at least now that I’m done at the river for the 2019 season and won’t return now until Spring 2020, I got a good one for you all. This is what I came up with “Gone With the Wind!” For now at least I like the idea and I may at some point change it or even add more if I think of my own at least personal AIS sayings but for now at least I like the saying and ideas. This sort of if you will goes with theme of Autumn Thunder and then in the Spring it’s Spring Hunger and in the Summer then Summer Fury. Just some ideas I’m tossing around as we near the end of the season!
Howard Sprague

We made our 86th run to the river for 2019 today Boatnerds, after having been out almost every day since last Friday, and we had a great day getting the Manitoulin and, get this Boatnerds, we saw the Big PRT for the 13th time this season! Last year we saw her 10 times and this is definitely a new record for us. I hope everyone is doing well. We are well on our way to smashing our record for river runs which we hope to do before the end of 2019!
Howard Sprague

We just got back from the river, Boatnerds, and this is the fourth day in a row we were out. I will keep you in suspense about the details but needless to say we got the Ojibway and John G. Munson right in a row this afternoon. It was a great day!
Howard Sprague

Well to all my Boatnerd friends reading this, Howard has done it again! For the fourth time in 45 years of Boatnerding, we have made an astounding 75 runs to the river in a season. We were out Friday and Saturday for 73 and 74, and this morning before we went to hear Reverend Tucker preach we ran to Marine City to see the Paul A. Desgagnes for number 75! We did this in 1979, when we got 78 runs, 1987 when we got 82 runs, and in 2017 when we were out on medical leave from our job we got 93 runs in the season. With a few weeks to go before the locks close we are hoping to top 93 runs and set a new record. After the Soo Locks close we are going to load up our motor home and go see Mother in Florida for a few weeks. These are the perks of being retired.

We won't be able to be out to the river tomorrow due to our appointments, but we hope to be out Tuesday for number 76 for sure! For now, though, it's back to our football.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Howard. Yes I did make it to the Maritime Center on Saturday of last weekend for Books and Boats as I had some business there to take care of with a couple of the authors and their books. I did not get to spend as much time as I would've liked too mainly because the Radcliffe R. Latimer came downbound at lunch time and I had not seen the Raddy all season long. So, I left the event and went down and got photos of her in both Marysville and later in St. Clair. By the time I got done in St. Clair with the Latimer, it was around 2 P.M. and I only had an hour left before Books and Boats event had ended and closed in Port Huron. So, I raced back to Port Huron to finish up what I had started there earlier. After that I did not see or notice any other traffic in the river and I hadn't had any lunch yet so I was starving. I don't count that as an official river trip as I was out there mainly for Books and Boats only in Port Huron it's just that I got lucky when the Radcliffe R. Latimer happened to end up coming through at that same time. So, I end 2019 officially with 22 trips for the year on the river. There were however 6 to 7 other times when I went out there but those were for special occasions like with the Latimer and the Boats and Books signing event so to make a long story short, in reality I consider the year as getting out there 22 times which was much better than the 10 official trips and times I had in 2018. So now I feel like I'm climbing back on top of the boatnerd mountain but I also feel like I'm not up on the summit if you will of the mountain top just yet. Next year with my countdown to my 500th all time river trip it will definitely give me some inspiration and something to look forward to in 2020 that's for certain. Another thing I mentioned this to Roger of KYS at the book event last Saturday. My favorite date April 14 the date that I first started on the river will fall during the weekdays now for the next four years beginning in 2020. So hopefully the weather in the Spring will be good enough for me to make it out there on that date for me. I even have a title as I call that Mariner Day as this is my Anniversary Day of when I officially started at the river and saw the PRT there for the first time in 1992! You take care my friend.
Howard Sprague

So happy to hear you squeezed in two more runs, Denny. Did you get a chance to do any boat watching on Saturday at the event at the maritime center? If so you could probably consider it 23 runs to the river and put yourself even closer to 500!

We are headed out in a little bit to go spend a few hours at the river before we have to go with the preacher on his visits. It looks like it will be a great day. We didn't get to watch as much football as we wanted to at Mrs. Magruder's yesterday, because Mrs. Magruder had too much whiskey to drink while cooking and Mr. Magruder and I had to finish cooking the Thanksgiving supper. We did get to watch part of the game where your beloved Buffalo Bills whooped the Cowboys!

Tomorrow we are meeting with a realtor about possibly buying Mother's house as she has decided to stay in Florida full time. If we do that means we will only live a block from the river and can walk to the river instead of driving. That would really increase our river runs next year if we decide to do so. You take care my friend.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Happy Thanksgiving First off to everyone. Well just when you all along with myself included thought that my 2019 year at the St. Clair River was over with, think again! As the boat Gods if you will opened up the heavens for me and thankfully I took advantage and got and squeezed out two more runs all in November giving me a final total this year at a season best of 22 official river trips. Not a record and not in the elite class of 28 trips set in 1994, 1999 and again in 2013. It was not at a high point either of 26 trips or 25 either but still good enough to make me happy and satisfied. And what a way to close out the year 2019 for me. For right now, I’ll give you only what I saw on Friday, November 22 as that was my 21st trip of the season. However and unfortunately thanks to Mother Nature’s doings plus the fact this being the 4th coldest November on record here, I went 25 days without a river trip from the last trip I made in late October. Not a record but not a good thing either to have on my resume and records. So listed below was what I saw on November 22 at only four a very slow day and cold and windy as well. Saw the tug Clyde S. Van Enkevort and Erie Trader downbound and just below South of St. Clair. The remaining three were in St. Clair itself and they were the Algoma Conveyor my first Ship for 2019 as it was third time I’d seen them for 2019. Also the Algoma Harvester as well which made the third time for her as well. At the end of my day on Friday came the 1,000-footer Edgar B. Speer downbound. I tried to wave for a salute but they didn’t acknowledge which made me a bit disappointed! With the cold, windy, dark and gray day and weather I was hoping for a salute from the Speer to brighten up my day especially after going so long without a river trip. The best was saved for this past Monday as we closed out 2019 in Grand Fashion but you will all have to sit, wait and be patient as the best was saved for last and I’ll tell you how it all went down next week as you’ll love this story. One thing I will tell you all is among the many good things and highlights for 2019 for me is the fact I started on May 21 and ended on November 25. So what’s so special as far as those two dates you may ask me? I’ve never been to the river on either of those two dates before this year and those two were great days at the river for me but again, the Grand Finale if you will is going to be next week when I tell you about it. I only wish I’d taken my music CD along of Vanessa Williams’ song Saved The Best For Last but I wanted to listen to Christmas music instead. Happy Thanksgiving everyone here!
Howard Sprague

I forgot to mention in my last post that we cut our trip to the Welland Canal short to see the Sykes today. What a great day!
Howard Sprague

Well Boatnerds Howard did it again! Sunday we got the Highland Eagle in the Welland Canal and the Salarium and Algoma Strongfield in Hamilton. We made our way back across Canada to Port Huron this morning in time to have a great day on the river and see the Wilfred Sykes for the third time in four days, as well as the Arthur M. Anderson, Wigeon, Philip R. Clarke and Cuyahoga among others.

Last week, from Monday through Sunday, we did something that we've never done before. We photographed ships in six different places in one week - Port Huron on Tuesday, Detroit and Lorain on Friday, Cleveland on Saturday, and the Welland Canal and Hamilton on Sunday. This is a record we may never break as we have never done it before. We have been making trips to the river for 45 years now, except for the year when we lived in the Bahamas. I hope you are doing well, Denny, and had a great day at the river seeing the Wilfred Sykes today! You take care my friend!
Howard Sprague

Well Boatnerds, we got up yesterday morning very early and went down to Detroit and we had a great day getting some great shots of the Wilfred Sykes. We then drove onto Lorain and got the Joseph L. Block in great lighting conditions, before we went to a hotel in Cleveland and today we got great photos of the Wilfred Sykes that we will be sure to send to Roger for his KYS book. I'm sure he'll love to have them and beg for more of our photos when he sees them.

Tomorrow morning we are going to go to the Welland Canal because we want badly to see the Highland Eagle downbound through there. We might also stop in Buffalo to get the American Mariner.

Next week will be busy for us after we get back home on Tuesday. We have to go to Mrs. Magruder's house for Thanksgiving Supper on Thursday and then we're going to visit some of the less mobile church ladies with the preacher on Frday.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Hi Marc and thanks for your thoughtful words and comments as they are most appreciative. Yes it is indeed unfortunate that my season had to end so early due mostly to the harsh colder weather and the big snow that we had around here on Veterans Day which fortunately now has about all melted away. This last two November’s if you will have sure not been very nice for the weather. Last year in 2018, I only made the river twice and in some years I’ve made it only once and a few others it’s been twice. My average for November is about four and sometimes I’ve had years with four. The most I ever made in November though was in 2017 when I made 9 trips the most ever for November and the most ever of any month in my history! I don’t think I’ll ever have another Fall and November like I had in 2017 but never say never on that though as stranger things have happened before. As for seeing and getting the Wilfred Sykes this morning on the river, sorry to say I missed her as that was way too early in the morning for me as it does not get daylight here until about 7:30 a.m. and I don’t drive in the dark especially this time of year as I don’t want to encounter any ice or snow especially black ice! You take care my friend and Happy Holidays to you and everyone else.
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

Hey Denny. I'm very sorry to hear your season is ending a little early. I hope you grabbed some shots of the Sykes today.
Take care.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks to both Howard and Garbear your thoughts and kind words of encouragement are very much appreciated. Yes it is unfortunate that my season ended much too soon and early as I was really hoping to get out to the water more in November especially since I didn’t make it out too much in October due to my home improvement projects. As for next year though, you betcha I’m looking forward to getting back out there and getting my 500th all time river trip! This winter works out great fir me as now I can get started up on my winter projects as far as editing and working on all my digital photos and then doing a special sign on cardboard like I’ve done before about my 500th river trip which takes a very long time to do as the letters and numbers have to be carefully stenciled in and traced to perfection. Then comes the real job and that’s the painting of both the front and back which requires a day or two to do and dry. Luckily I use fast drying paint and the kit I use I buy from Michael’s crafts as they have great stuff. I would expect sometime in the late summer to early Fall season in 2020 hopefully of getting the 500th river trip. I want to enjoy the road to 500 next year and take it in slow and easy and don’t rush it and miss out on the fun as it only happens once in a lifetime! As for 2019 on the river, Yes I had a great year with seeing 12 of the 1,000-footers something that’s never been done on the river before by me. Also seeing the Tall Ships this summer was lots of fun and enjoyable along with seeing lots of good and new stuff like some of the cruise ships like the Hamburg and the new Le Champlain. It was indeed a great year for me and other than the early November snow and cold weather here and the rain in the Spring we had, those are my only complaints that I have. It was really fascinating seeing the high water this year and getting my feet wet a few times and once actually getting hit by a wall of water in Port Huron. Everyone enjoy the Holidays and have a good and safe Winter and we’ll see you all sometime in 2020!
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Sorry to hear that your season is over. I'm hoping you had a good year. You have next season to look forward to. All the best my friend.
Howard Sprague

I am sorry to hear that your season came to such an abrupt end, Denny, my friend. I too wanted to get out to the river on Monday, but alas, we imbibed too many adult beverages on Sunday while watching football with Jubal, Rafe and the boys and just didn't feel like going out.

We did go out today though and saw several ships, including Sarah Desgagnes which we hadn't seen this season.

Perhaps now that you are in winter layup you will learn to share some of your photos with us as I'm sure we are all interested in seeing them. You take care my friend!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Another update for all of you folks out there and especially for my good and close friends here such as Howard, Garbear, MarcE along with many others here such as Bookworm and Mopar Tim along with many others as well. I regret to inform you all that it’s over for me in 2019 as I have now officially decided as of today to throw in the hat and towel and to call it a year! Unfortunately the November weather this year was just too much to bear and deal with especially with all the snow last week and below normal temps for nearly two weeks! We went 13 straight days of below normal here for November standards in the Detroit area. Was hoping to make a run at it today with the Bradley anniversary as I’ve never been to the river on that day. However, the Monday blues and blahs got me down today and with it being a slow day from the AIS maps as well up there. Was hoping to make a run tomorrow but again weather is a factor as they’re saying fog and freezing drizzle which I definitely do not drive in and not accustomed to doing and that’s why I am usually done at the river in November because of the issues with the weather. As I’ve mentioned before I got to the river 20 times in 2019 and saw lots of good stuff. As for what I didn’t see in 2019, hopefully I’ll see it in 2020 if it’s still around at least. Thanks everyone for all of your thoughts and words of encouragement as this was a challenging year for me with lots of learning and hopefully changes in store for next year. Looking forward already of getting back to the river in 2020 as I got so much to see and do. Hopefully the weather in the Spring and Fall will be better as those two times of year is where I do my best as October and May weather permitting of course are my two best months at least on the river for me. So take care everyone and we’ll see you all hopefully sometime in 2020. Happy Holidays and have a good, safe winter also.
Howard Sprague

Very interesting, Denny, my friend. Some of us would be interested in what vessels you saw on those special 20th trips, especially in 1994. You had quite the day and I'm sure at least some of those vessels aren't still with us. Things have changed a lot over the years.

I hope you're doing well and managing with the lousy weather we've been having. Did you do anything to commemorate the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald on Sunday? We watched a videotape about her sinking and also listened to the Gordon Lightfoot song. That got us to thinking about seeing Lightfoot live a few years ago when we went with Mother and her friend Mr. Merriweather to see him in concert. You take care my friend, and stay warm.