Slide Scanning

Open forum for regional discussion. (extension of the Information Search page for off topic & personal discussion)
Guest

Re: Slide Scanning

Unread post by Guest »

I've run across a few comments online about the benefits/disadvantages of the Unsharp Mask feature on scanners. I'm thinking its best to leave this off and do any sharpening in the post process stage in Photoshop. Has anyone have any views on this?
DocF

Re: Slide Scanning

Unread post by DocF »

If size of file is not a consideration for you, then I would opt for the 9600 dpi resolution. There is no direct relation between the resolution of slide film and digital image. TIFFs tend to be very large files account the way they are organized digitally, but they are among the best type to produce quality images.
Guest

Slide Scanning

Unread post by Guest »

I just purchased a Canon 9000F Mark II and was wondering what settings people use to scan their slides. I did some samples and it seems that the scanner has an optical resolution of 9600 dpi, but I've read that an actual slide resolution is only 7200 dpi. I want to scan at the highest resolution possible for archival purposes so the purchase of extra drive space is not an issue. I have so far determined that a 4800 dpi slide scan equals around 80mb whereas a 9600 dpi is 330mb (both in Tiff format). I would like to know if anyone else has any experience with this type of scanner. I have recently come into possession of a collection number 5000+ slides and would like to only do this once!
Post Reply