Museum Ships
Re: Museum Ships
I second guests comment about supporting museums we have. They have enough issues staying afloat. As for saving the Sherwin? She's a sell, nothing worth saving
-
Guest
Re: Museum Ships
Our current museum ships are barely staying afloat financially. I'm not sure we need any more.
-
Denny
Re: Museum Ships
Don’t know if this would ever happen but, the Edward L. Ryerson has been laid up in Superior at Fraser Shipyards now since 2009 and it does not appear likely she will be sailing anytime soon. She is one of the last true classic steamers on the U.S. side and I’m sure many would love to see her get saved and made into a museum ship somewhere but that remains to be seen if it will ever happen or not? One proven fact or two is lots of dollars goes into getting a museum ship and then running it and keeping it going. Then of course you have to find land big enough to accommodate a ship to be made into a museum. There’s lots of planning to do and get done before just any type of boat or ship can be turned into a museum. Sadly as you mentioned with your comments, there is not too many laid up or surplus ships left out there to make a museum with as many like you said are now going to scrap. Enjoy what’s left of the lakes fleet while you can and get all of the photographs you can.
-
Guest
Re: Museum Ships
There has been some interest in preserving S.T. CRAPO as a museum ship when her time as a cement storage vessel ends.
-
Guest
Museum Ships
The thought occurred to me that it seems like the number of possible future museum ship seems to be limited. As more and more lakers are scrapped it doesn’t seem very possible that we will see many more Great Lakes vessels made into museums. The only two that I can think of are the Arthur M. Anderson and the John Sherwin and of course I hope we can see both of those sail again. I am just wondering if there are any other possibilities out there that I am not thinking of? Has there been recent talk of making for converting another laker into a museum?