ships laid-up at Contrecoeur

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: ships laid-up at Contrecoeur

Unread post by Guest »

cpfan wrote:That dock in Contrecoeur is a dry fertilizer plant (Yara Canada). I wish I had checked the drafts last night because now I'm wondering if the ships are loading or unloading. Of course, I also want to know what they are (un)loading.

My guess is that they are unloading. Algoma Discovery is reporting a draft of 10.1m. Algoma Niagara is reporting 7m. So probably unloading (assuming Algoma Niagara had a similar draft when it arrived at Yara).

I wonder if Algoma Niagara has just layed up for the winter.
They're unloading iron ore from Port Cartier.
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

That dock in Contrecoeur is a dry fertilizer plant (Yara Canada). I wish I had checked the drafts last night because now I'm wondering if the ships are loading or unloading. Of course, I also want to know what they are (un)loading.

My guess is that they are unloading. Algoma Discovery is reporting a draft of 10.1m. Algoma Niagara is reporting 7m. So probably unloading (assuming Algoma Niagara had a similar draft when it arrived at Yara).

I wonder if Algoma Niagara has just layed up for the winter.
StClairBN

Unread post by StClairBN »

My bad. I should learn to pay attention to what I read. The destination was indeed down bound from the last of the locks. The Discovery has docked at Contrecoeur but the Niagara is proceeding to dock in Montreal with a current destination of Montreal.

Regards, John
1stmate67

Unread post by 1stmate67 »

Contrecoeur is below Montreal.The 2 CSL ships are laid up at Cote St.Catherine Wharf.The Seaway has closed for the winter.

Unread post by Guest »

I would say that one of them two ships will run all winter from port cartier to contrecoeur my guess would be the niagara
StClairBN

ships laid-up at Contrecoeur

Unread post by StClairBN »

I see that the Algoma Niagara and Algoma Discovery are both upbound on the St.Lawrence with a destination of Contrecoeur. If this AIS destination is correct, that means that the locks at St.Lambert and Contrecoeur are still open and these 2 ships will be joining the Spruceglen and CSL Assiniboine in lay-up there. I don't recall seeing that many if any ships laid-up there in the past.

Regards, John