Employment age

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
71 Chevrolet ss

Re: Employment age

Unread post by 71 Chevrolet ss »

Thanks for the replies.it is something I've always wanted to do,I'm confident I can do the work,so I am going to go for it.
MarcE

Unread post by MarcE »

They ditched the 3rd deckhand 20 years ago.
If this is something you want to do, jump on it.
Things havent changed much here either. 20 years ago the people here "in the know" told me I wouldn't get a boat because the jobs weren't there. Road apples! I never once had a problem getting a ship even with low seniority.
You are 48. Being a deckhand on the lakes is the hardest deckhand job in the world. Make sure you can handle the work before you get your MMC and TWIC card.

Unread post by Guest »

Most are self serve now or the steward and second cook serve. I think some boats still have one porter but not many of them. Night porters went away years ago. Some still have a wiper in the engine room, the few steamers left obviously but many boats do not. Some carry only 2 deckhands now instead of 3 or 4. So, not many unrated jobs left compared to the past. A newbie can maybe get lucky or catch vacation relief jobs.
custom500

Unread post by custom500 »

71 Chevrolet ss wrote:Engine room and galley jobs for entry level are very hard to get now as many vessels don’t even use them.
gy

I can imagine how technology can overtake an engineer's job, but I've never gotten a decent plate of short ribs out of a vending machine. Without galley jobs what are they doing for food on these vessels?

Unread post by Guest »

Legally? No.you can get your seaman’s papers. Will companies hire you? Probably. That is if you can find a job. It takes a few weeks to get your credentials in the best of times. Now? Probably longer due to the covid issues causing staff shortages and offices being closed. Very doubtful you could find a job this season as soon ships will be laying up again due to the covid virus economic collapse. WHEN the situation improves it will still be difficult unless you go to a seamanship training school first. Not impossible but difficult. There are unrated seaman always looking for jobs. Once you get a rating you can work steady. Deck dept is your best bet but the work is hard. Engine room and galley jobs for entry level are very hard to get now as many vessels don’t even use them. Hope this helps.
71 Chevrolet ss

Employment age

Unread post by 71 Chevrolet ss »

I am a recently retired corrections officer from the state of michigan.I'm 48 years old and looking for another career.I am wondering if a career aboard a freighter is obtainable at my age?or would my age keep this from being a reality.