Salty transits into the Great Lakes for 2020

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
c ships

Re: Salty transits into the Great Lakes for 2020

Unread post by c ships »

Nice work to all involved ! This is where u can follow boats from loading to unloading daily. A big thank you..
StClairBN

Unread post by StClairBN »

Having tracked some activities on the lakes myself, I can certainly appreciate the amount effort and attention required to perform any kind of tracking activities. thanks to all who do this.

Regards, John
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

We appreciate the work you do, Denny. Thanks!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To both StClairBN and Hausen and others, very much appreciate and also glad to hear that everyone enjoys the Saltie transit information that I send into the boatnerd website. I’ve done this now for many years as far as compiling a list of Westbound only saltie transits at the Ike Lock in Massena, New York. It is not always easy and requires lots of time and extensive and sometimes exhausting information. While I will not go into details sorry to say of how I got started with the saltie feature, I do say that I enjoy it at times and not so in others. As long as my health holds up, I will continue to do the saltie feature for as long as I can on it. Again, thanks to everyone and glad that folks have enjoyed the news.
StClairBN

Thank you very much. The listing of salties on the first link is certainly very extensive. I was aware of the salty gallery but did not realize that it was only pictures of salt water visitors during the current year.

Regards, John
hausen

Unread post by hausen »

Boatnerd's saltie vessel passage page, studiously maintained by Matt Miner, records oceangoing vessel transits through the Great Lakes / Seaway system. You can find it here:
http://www.boatnerd.com/passage/saltydue.htm

Boatnerd's Foreign Ship Data & Photo Gallery is a list of each oceangoing ship (i.e. "saltie", which is a slang term that's more of an affectionate diminuitive / shortening of "saltwater [ship/vessel]", and less a noun-ifying of the adjective "salty") that has traded on the Lakes / Seaway so far this season, although it may take a bit of time for the gallery to be updated when a ship that has not yet visited during the current season makes her first transit of the year. So this gallery is likely up to date as of a week or two ago, or it may be even more current depending on how the work's going for the volunteers who maintain and update this feature:
http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/salty/Default.htm
StClairBN

Salty transits into the Great Lakes for 2020

I noticed on the news page this morning that Denny had posted info regarding salty visits to the Great Lakes this year. Where might I be able to find a listing of the 231 vessels that made that transit.

Regards, John