DTE Marysville Michigan Dock Question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: DTE Marysville Michigan Dock Question

Unread post by Guest »

Mr Link wrote:
Guest wrote:Thanks. I always wondered what that dock was for although it didn't seem to be used much in the time frame I lived nearby. Can't recall a tank farm in the area however.
Tank farm may have been a bit of a stretch. Three tanks, still there in the latest Google Maps view.

I only saw one vessel there, an Andrie tug and barge.
I probably drove by that location nearly every week for over 30 years but never noticed the tanks on that side of the road. Most likely hidden by the treeline. Thanks for the information!
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Guest wrote:Thanks. I always wondered what that dock was for although it didn't seem to be used much in the time frame I lived nearby. Can't recall a tank farm in the area however.
Tank farm may have been a bit of a stretch. Three tanks, still there in the latest Google Maps view.

I only saw one vessel there, an Andrie tug and barge.

Unread post by Guest »

Mr Link wrote:As far as I know the Greenwood Energy Center never burned coal. It currently burns mostly natural gas, but in the past it burned fuel oil, that was unloaded at the dock just north of the Marysville coal plant. There is a tank farm just north of the old Marysville plant for storage and I assume a pipeline to the Greenwood plant at Avoca, which is about 20 miles away.

In short, the fly ash wouldn't have come from there.
Thanks. I always wondered what that dock was for although it didn't seem to be used much in the time frame I lived nearby. Can't recall a tank farm in the area however.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

As far as I know the Greenwood Energy Center never burned coal. It currently burns mostly natural gas, but in the past it burned fuel oil, that was unloaded at the dock just north of the Marysville coal plant. There is a tank farm just north of the old Marysville plant for storage and I assume a pipeline to the Greenwood plant at Avoca, which is about 20 miles away.

In short, the fly ash wouldn't have come from there.

Unread post by Guest »

OK, that makes sense! I couldn't tell what the trucks were loading aboard the ships so I just assumed they were refueling them. I also recall seeing the St. Marys Conquest at that dock as well, so I'm assuming that they were also loading slag. Where did the slag come from? Did the slag come from the Belle River/St. Clair Plants or the Greenwood plant in Avoca?

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Back when I used to live in the St. Clair area during the late 90s and early 2000s I recall seeing some ships like the Alpena docking at the DTE Marysville, Michigan, plant. From the looks of it, it appeared that these vessels were refueling as they were often met with large tanker trucks. Is that what was actually happening and how did this operation establish itself? It seems kind of odd that DTE would get into the bunkering business. Now that the plant is gone, is this still being done?

I do believe, however, that ships unloading at DTE St. Clair do refuel at that dock. If I recall correctly, fuel was delivered to this site by barge towed by Gaelic Towboat Company tugs.
In the late 80's early 90's I was on the Iglehart and we loaded fly ash there from trucks for delivery at Whitefish River.
tugboat

Unread post by tugboat »

She loaded slag for delivery to Alpena.

DTE Marysville Michigan Dock Question

Unread post by Guest »

Back when I used to live in the St. Clair area during the late 90s and early 2000s I recall seeing some ships like the Alpena docking at the DTE Marysville, Michigan, plant. From the looks of it, it appeared that these vessels were refueling as they were often met with large tanker trucks. Is that what was actually happening and how did this operation establish itself? It seems kind of odd that DTE would get into the bunkering business. Now that the plant is gone, is this still being done?

I do believe, however, that ships unloading at DTE St. Clair do refuel at that dock. If I recall correctly, fuel was delivered to this site by barge towed by Gaelic Towboat Company tugs.