Joyce L Van Enkevort

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Joyce L Van Enkevort

Unread post by Guest »

The mid body of the Paul R Tregurtha (1. William J De Lancey) was built upstream from the bridge at Toledo Amship in 1981 and towed through the swing bridge for Lorain Amship final assembly.
Jim B

Unread post by Jim B »

Last summer the loaded Presque Isle came to Toledo for a test run. She went through the CSX bridge with tugs and approached the Ironville dock. Then she backed out through the bridge and turned around, then went back up to Ironville for a few minutes then left town. The east draw of CSX is 145 feet clear.
Ohio Bob

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

I believe it was the Presque Isle that has already delivered some r aw material to the dock. They made it through the bridge.
Guest in Toledo

Unread post by Guest in Toledo »

Yes, KH, footers can pass through either channel of the 117 year old swing bridge with about 20 foot clearance. If I remember correctly, the HBI Ironville dock does not have a turning basin for the footers to leave. The picture of Manistee with a 60 foot beam shows the width of the CSX bridge channel.
Attachments
bScan 025.jpg
03-manistee_in_CSX.jpg
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

tugboathunter wrote:From my observation, Marquette pellets go to Torco and Silver Bay pellets go to the HBI plant. The Torco pellets are railed to AK steel in Middletown, Ohio which is owned by Cliffs so regardless of which dock the pellets are unloaded at, Cliffs is the customer.
Silver Bay pellets also go to Cleveland, Indiana Harbor, Ashtabula.
KH

Unread post by KH »

Can footers fit through the first rail bridge on the Maumee to access the Ironville dock that serves the HBI plant?
tugboathunter

Unread post by tugboathunter »

From my observation, Marquette pellets go to Torco and Silver Bay pellets go to the HBI plant. The Torco pellets are railed to AK steel in Middletown, Ohio which is owned by Cliffs so regardless of which dock the pellets are unloaded at, Cliffs is the customer.
Jon Paul

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Thanks garbear for clearing up the picture. That means footers can make the trip from Silver Bay to the Toledo Cliffs plant and it will be interesting to see who gets the haul.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Denny wrote:To answer Jon Paul's question " Could this load be going to Toledo and the new Cliffs plant?" It's possible but they are not on the schedule at least for arriving at the Torco Dock from Marquette. Hope this helps.
Pellets for the new Cliffs plant are unloaded at the plant and not at Torco.
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

Jon Paul wrote:
garbear wrote:
Jon Paul wrote:Joyce L Van Endicott is currently up bound approaching the Ambassador Bridge with an AIS for Marquette. Could this load be going to Toledo and the new Cliffs plant?
Maybe I've got it wrong, but I thought the pellets that go to the Cliffs plant in Toledo are just produced at Northshore Mining.
I have no idea, the pellets loaded at Marquette usually go to River Rouge or Toledo. Interlake has the Dearborn contract and last year the Van Enkevort units where delivering to Toledo. I was just excited to see boats coming out lol
This is from the Cliffs site.

Cliffs recently completed a $100 million expansion at its Northshore Mining operation to support large-scale commercial production of DR-grade pellets. With its completion, Northshore Mining is now the only U.S. based iron ore processing facility to produce low silica DR-grade pellets. The Northshore operation is producing DR-grade pellet feedstock inventory for Cliffs’ Hot Briquetted Iron Plant in Toledo, Ohio.
Jon Paul

garbear wrote:
Jon Paul wrote:Joyce L Van Endicott is currently up bound approaching the Ambassador Bridge with an AIS for Marquette. Could this load be going to Toledo and the new Cliffs plant?
Maybe I've got it wrong, but I thought the pellets that go to the Cliffs plant in Toledo are just produced at Northshore Mining.
I have no idea, the pellets loaded at Marquette usually go to River Rouge or Toledo. Interlake has the Dearborn contract and last year the Van Enkevort units where delivering to Toledo. I was just excited to see boats coming out lol
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

It looks now like the Laura L. VanEnkevort could be the first one at the Soo now! As I type this now, they are upbound in Lake Huron just off of the tip of the thumb. The Joyce is just now entering the St. Clair River or soon will be from Lake St. Clair. Let the fun and the games begin here everyone! And Oh BTW, I’m changing the words to a famous song that most everyone has heard and knows. I think it’s fitting with the boats returning to action. Instead of “Who let the dogs out, how about this for a song tittle Who let the boats out?” Works for me what about you all?
garbear

Unread post by garbear »

StClairBN

Unread post by StClairBN »

Laura L VanEnkevort is currently upbound on Lake Huron near Port Sanilac with a destination of Marquette as well, so she should the first upbound.

Regards, John
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To answer Jon Paul's question " Could this load be going to Toledo and the new Cliffs plant?" It's possible but they are not on the schedule at least for arriving at the Torco Dock from Marquette. Hope this helps.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I wonder possibly IF they could then be the first ship and arrival of the 2021 season at the Soo then? They left Toledo today and as I type this now, they arrived in Detroit this evening to fuel and will probably depart the fuel dock early tomorrow morning on March 21. That being the case they should be at the Soo then I would estimate then probably more than likely on March 22 as a guess? If they are the first one at the Soo, then it would not be a first for them as they did it years ago. Sorry but I don't have access to confirm when that event took place but it was during the early 2000s that I recall for now at least.
Jon Paul

Joyce L Van Enkevort

Joyce L Van Endicott is currently up bound approaching the Ambassador Bridge with an AIS for Marquette. Could this load be going to Toledo and the new Cliffs plant?