uss_kobe in lorain. ohio

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Mr Link

Re: uss_kobe in lorain. ohio

Unread post by Mr Link »

Good question. The best I can tell from online sources is that everything is still idled. The US Steel/Kobe partnership ended in 1999 and the mill was split into two entities, with US Steel retaining the pipe mill and Republic Steel gaining the blast furnaces and bar mill. In 2013 Republic put a new electric arc furnace online, (I believe to replace the blast furnace or furnaces). But they shut down production in 2016. They have discussed re-opening every year since, including news articles in May 2021. The Republic website shows that they are advertising to hire 16 different occupations currently in Lorain, including laborers and production employees. But an online source said they were still idled as of November 2021.

The US Steel tube mill was indefinitely idled in 2020 (May I think) and still shows that status in the US Steel website.
badger

uss_kobe in lorain. ohio

Unread post by badger »

is this steel mill {joint venture} operating in any form of capacity, or it closed completely?