Harvest Spirit heading to the Soo

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
JohnnyB

Re: Harvest Spirit heading to the Soo

Unread post by JohnnyB »

Mr. Link you are exactly correct.
Jerry

Unread post by Jerry »

Yes, picking up steel coils.
Mr Link

Unread post by Mr Link »

Strictly a guess on my part: perhaps it is moving steel coils.

Per archived AIS observations, it shifted docks in Windsor (ADM to Morterm) on March 4th, then left for Nanticoke in March 6th. Spent several days in Nanticoke then arrived at Monroe on March 10th or 11th. Now apparently headed to the Soo.

If I were to hazard a guess, I suspect it may have carried a load of steel coils from Nanticoke to Monroe and is now headed to the Soo empty to pick up more coils. I believe that both Purvis and McKeil have loaded steel coils in the off season at the Soo. This requires trucking the coils to a dock below the locks, often the Goverment Dock that Purvis is based at.

Thanks for pointing this transit out. I'll keep watching AIS to see where they actually wind up.

Harvest Spirit heading to the Soo

Unread post by Guest »

Anyone have any idea what Harvest Spirit is doing heading for the Soo? She's unbound on Lake Huron with Soo as her destination. With the locks not scheduled to open until the 25th why would she be heading up that way this early?