Polsteam Salties Paint Scheme

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Polsteam Salties Paint Scheme

Unread post by Guest »

When the U-boats first came out, circa 2000, they were ALL "Barney the dinosaur" purple.
GuestfromEU

Unread post by GuestfromEU »

Hull coatings are renewed in drydock. I do not know if these ships recently completed surveys which included painting, but this is the most logical. If they are part of the same class then dockings would be close in terms of scheduling, six months apart perhaps. Past corporate direction may have been to use black colour for the hull but now reverted to blue. Until 15 years old, the ships need to complete drydockings every 5 years, but twice in 5 years after 15 years old. Intermediate survey to be done between months 24-36 after last special survey docking.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In doing some research on the paint schemes and hull colors of the Polsteam Salties, I can confirm that the Iryda, Isa and Isadora all had their hulls painted from black to a blue in 2022 sometime. There’s pictures on Marine Traffic that shows those three vessels all had black colored hulls in 2021 however, in 2022 they are now blue. In regards to both the Irma and Isolda, both of them for now at least are still black hull colors. I’m just surprised that Polsteam’s Lubie was painted to Blue from Black just a year or so ago. Yes I know that the Lubie is a bit different and also a different class of vessel from the I-ship series if you will that Polsteam has. The point I’m trying to get at is other than the Iryda, Isa and Isadora the Lubie right now is the only other Polsteam ship to go from Black to a Blue hull color from what I’ve seen in pictures so far. Does have more information to share on this?
Denny

Polsteam Salties Paint Scheme

Unread post by Denny »

While at the St. Clair River today I was fortunate and lucky enough to see among one of the ships I saw, the Polsteam Salty the Iryda. As I watched them go upbound, I was very surprised to see that her hull paint scheme was a Blue. It was a bit of a surprise to see that they had a blue hull as I was expecting them to be in a Black hull color instead of the Blue. From pictures I’ve seen on various websites it appears that her Polsteam sisters and fleetmates the Isa, Isadora, Isolda and Irma all have been painted from Blue to Black as I saw the Irma this year and it looked Black. In 2018 I saw the Isadora and her hull color appeared to be and look as though it was Black. Does anyone know just when then the Iryda reverted from Black hull color to Blue or am I missing something here then? If there is anyone that has more input and insight to this along with any further information and even photos to share and add, it would be appreciated. I’ve also noticed and seen that the Lubie another Polsteam salty, in 2021 went from having a black hull scheme to now a blue hull color. It appears and seems that Polsteam is changing their hull colors at times then!