Wilfred Sykes

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Jon Paul

Re: Wilfred Sykes

Unread post by Jon Paul »

Thank you for the responses

Unread post by guest »

The Sykes took coke nuggets to Ashtabula. She probably loaded some sort of biproduct from the Cliffs mill in Middletown OH.
Regards, Mike

Unread post by guest »

She was in Nanticoke two years ago that is further east. Dropped off in Ashtabula, picked up ore fines in Toledo or burns
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Nope not their first trip East of Cleveland to answer your question on If that’s her first trip East of Cleveland? In the Spring of 1998, I was fortunate enough to see her twice then on the St. Clair River with her Inland Steel logos and hull stuff then. Anyway, as I recall she carried Taconite on those trips I think to Ashtabula? She could’ve taken it to Toledo but I think they went to Ashtabula? The Block also made a trip or two down here that same year as well and I was lucky to see both her and the Block then down here both times it was rare to see them both here. The Sykes’ loads then I recall then were from Escanaba as well. Someone else might have more info than I and recall that then when both ships made those rare trips down here in 1998.
Jon Paul

Wilfred Sykes

Unread post by Jon Paul »

The Sykes just made a trip from Burns Harbor to Ashtabula and then to Toledo. I lost them on both Marine Traffic and Boatnerd AIS when they approached Toledo. Any info on what they loaded and where? They are currently headed back to Burns Harbor without hitting its usual stone ports so Im guessing they are back hauling something.
Also is that the Sykes first ever trip East of Cleveland?