Marine Traffice

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Hobieone

Re: Marine Traffice

Unread post by Hobieone »

take a look at this page ............. I live on the Keweenaw and the recent blow was of particular interest. We had several boat sheltering in the lee of the peninsula.
Today, 0800 11/22 shows some peculiar winds, particularly for northern Lake Michigan and Huron.
Unless it's giving me some funky data, it almost appears an impossibility.
Your insight is welcome.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/ho ... 5.8/zoom:8

Re: Marine Traffice

Unread post by Guest »

There are no gale warnings up for Lake Superior as of November 21, 2022 at 10:43pm. Copper Harbor has 0 knot winds. Silver Bay has 4 knot winds from the NW gusting to 6 knots.

Is this the www.marinetraffic website you're getting the weather information from, or from another website? Can you post the link to the webpage where you're seeing these?

I'm involved in meteorology and I would like to see what is going on with the observations as I use land surface observations in my work all the time. Many of the observations you'll find on the internet are "raw", but that I mean they have not been quality controlled - the result can be gross errors like unrealistic wind speeds or ships located on land! Or maybe the website hasn't been refreshed with the most recent weather information.
Hobieone

Marine Traffice

Unread post by Hobieone »

are the wind barbs on Marine Traffic to be believed ? The seem unrealistic. Gale warnings up on Superior for W winds, with 45kn indicated at the latitude of Copper Harbor, yet at the latitude of Silver Bay it's showing SE at 30kn , and at the latitude of Two Harbors, at the east end of the lake it's showing N at 25+kn.