Layup List Updates

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
River Rat

Re: Layup List Updates

Unread post by River Rat »

Alot of work going on in Toledo. Most of the ships at Torco and the csx coal slips are covered with tradesmen.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

A few updates and changes that needs to be addressed on the Winter Layup List and Updates. First, the tanker Algonorth is not operating between Sarnia and Nanticoke this Winter! They are currently enroute to Denmark now where they are due sometime in February. They were previously on the East Coast trading before now sailing to Denmark. Second, the NACC Quebec is not laid up in Quebec as they have been out operating along the East Coast this Winter. Finally, the Alpena arrived in Cleveland on January 25. These three updates at some point will need to be added into the Layup List and Updates.

Unread post by Guest »

Looks like the Jackson is in Ecorse with the Oberstar and Alpena is in Cleveland.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

First, a correction on my previous post. The Herbert C. Jackson did not layup in Toledo as I first had thought. Rather, they went to the Torco Dock to load ore for Detroit-Dearborn at the Rouge Complex or whatever it’s called now. Second, the tug Olive L. Moore with the barge Menominee did layup in Toledo. However, they did not layup at the Torco Dock slip as I had first thought. Rather, they laid up at the CSX Docks and are currently laid up at or near the CSX Coal Dock #4 Machine at least on that wall and area if anyone knows where I’m referring to then? As for today, on January 21 the Mark W. Barker arrived for layup in Sturgeon Bay. In Toledo, the Calumet arrived there for layup early this morning. Sorry as I don’t have the Calumet’s location as I missed them on AIS this morning and they’re not showing up on any maps. Expected to arrive for layup soon are the tug Defiance with their barge Ashtabula. They were due for layup today in Ashtabula. The Indiana Harbor will be arriving at Bay Ship in Sturgeon Bay either today or tomorrow. Finally, the Presque Isle is due in Erie early tomorrow morning on January 22 for layup. That’s all I have for now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Three more vessels at least have arrived or soon will be for Winter Layup. Here’s the latest update on arrivals. The Joseph L. Block is making their way now into Sturgeon Bay as I type this now at 9 A.M. on January 20. Two more vessels arrived in Toledo very early this morning. The Herbert C. Jackson arrived after midnight last night and they were followed not far behind by the tug Olive L. Moore and barge Menominee. Each vessel went to and laid up at the Torco Dock the area that gets the ore delivered. The Jackson went to the Inner end of the Torco Dock slip and Wall, while the Olive L. Moore and the Menominee went to the Outer end of the Torco Dock slip and Wall. While I don’t have the exact numbers as far as how many vessels are in Toledo this winter? I can say that it is surely a Full and Packed House there this Winter especially with 6 of the 1,000 footers now there!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The James R. Barker arrived for layup this evening in Toledo. They tied up and are now moored at the Midwest Terminal Toledo International Dock. The Barker joins two others the Burns Harbor and American Integrity also at that dock. With the Barker’s arrival this now brings a total of 6 of the 1,000 footers now laid up in Toledo for the Winter Layup. Amazing that there is that many 1,000 footers laid-up there. This I would think has to be close to a record or at least a tie for one.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Sam Laud arrived for Layup this morning in Ashtabula at the Pinney Dock #2. So far that is all the Layup information that I have. In viewing the AIS map, the Joseph L. Block is anchored off of or near Sturgeon Bay waiting to enter for Layup. Also, the James R. Barker has departed from Cleveland after unloading at the CBT or Cleveland Bulk Terminal. They are headed for Toledo and Winter Layup. Upon their arrival in Toledo, this will then make an incredible 6 of the 1,000 footers laid-up in Toledo for the Winter. That is about half of the 1,000 footers when you take into consideration that there are 13 of them! While I'm not 100% certain of this, the James R. Barker upon their arrival in Toledo for Layup could be a first for them as far as them laying up in Toledo? Again I don't have the full details but, I don't ever recall the Barker laying up in Toledo before for Winter Layup? A few others that are headed to Toledo possibly for Layup are the Herbert C. Jackson which has departed from Buffalo after unloading Sand. Another is the tug and barge combo Olive L. Moore and Menominee. They've departed from Cleveland and the CBT or Cleveland Bulk Terminal after unloading an ore cargo there. Needless to say, Toledo is getting to be "A Packed House for layup this Winter and seems to be the place to be if you want to see alot of ships that is in Winter Layup this Winter!" I will try to update this with further Layup information and reports as I get further information on Vessel Layups then.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Another 3 arrived today for Layup. In Milwaukee, the Stewart J. Cort arrived there today at the Heavy Lift Dock at Jones Island where it usually lays up in Milwaukee. They will be joining the tug G.L. Ostrander and barge Integrity which is at the Lafarge Terminal and Dock in Milwaukee. Expected later for layup in Milwaukee could also be the John J. Boland as they delivered a cargo to Gary recently and now their AIS is showing Milwaukee as the next destination. Meanwhile in Toledo, both the 1,000 footers Burns Harbor along with the American Integrity arrived today for layup. Each of which went to the Midwest Terminals of Toledo International Cargo Dock or the former World Terminal Dock for Winter Layup. That makes 5 of the 1,000 footers now in Toledo this Winter. A very impressive bunch and with both the Paul R. Tregurtha and Burns Harbor each making their first ever layups then in Toledo this Winter.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Here’s 3 more to add to the Winter Layup List Updates. The John G. Munson along with the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. both arrived in Sturgeon Bay for layup on January 17. In viewing the AIS map on boatnerd, it looks like the Mac is docked next to the Large Graving Dock to which I assume would be Berth 15 then? Meanwhile, the Arthur M. Anderson has arrived in Toledo also early this morning on January 17. They are in the Torco Slip with the Great Republic and the Philip R. Clarke as well. That Torco slip area where those three are at, is a “packed house with those three vessels there now!”
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

In viewing the AIS maps on boatnerd, it looks and appears that the Manitowoc arrived for layup in Toledo this evening at or near the Toledo Shipyards at the Old Interlake Iron Dock then? The Clarke meantime, is laying up out near the Torco Dock area around and near where the Great Republic laid up at. Also, the Walter J. McCarthy Jr. will eventually be arriving at Sturgeon Bay for layup as they are near there now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Both the Manitowoc and Philip R. Clarke are headed to Toledo for layup. I don’t know what docks they will be at once they arrive there?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Layup List Updates for January 16 are as followed. Tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder arrived early this morning in Toledo for layup. They are at CSX Dock #3. Expected also for layup in Toledo are the Philip R. Clarke along with the American Integrity. In checking out the AIS map this morning, to my surprise I’m seeing the Burns Harbor with a Toledo ETA and destination for layup now. This would surely be a first time ever layup for them in Toledo as I do not ever recall or remember them laying up in Toledo before! This will also make two 1,000 footers both the Burns Harbor and the Paul R. Tregurtha who’ve never been laid up in Toledo before to do so this Winter! Hoping that someone from Toledo area can possibly provide and share some Winter Layup photos from there. Would very much like to see some Toledo layup photos especially posted and shared here on boatnerd!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

A few more to add to the Layup list Updates. As mentioned in a Sturgeon Bay report, the Clyde S. VanEnkevort and barge Erie Trader indeed arrived at Sturgeon Bay for Winter Lay-Up on Sunday, January 15, 2023. Also arriving for Winter Layup were the Kaye E. Barker in Erie, Pennsylvania along with the Great Republic in Toledo all of these I have listed so far arrived on January 15, 2023 for their respective Winter Layups and also at their docks as well. Sorry as I don't know or have the docks for both the Kaye E. Barker in Erie nor the Great Republic in Toledo. The Alpena also arrived in Cleveland for Winter Layup at the Lafarge Dock on January 16 in the early morning hours. That is all I have for the Layup List Updates at this time and sorry if I left out any that Laid Up yesterday. There will be lots more vessels arriving for Winter Layup in the coming days ahead at Sturgeon Bay along with at Toledo as well regarding some of the layup ports.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

A correction on my updates regarding the Sam Laud. In an earlier post I’d mention that they arrived for layup in Cleveland on January 14. That is not true and incorrect on my part and I apologize for that error and oversight as I see now on AIS maps that they are still out and doing the Ore Shuttles at Cleveland. Again, I apologize for that error then.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

To update the Layup List Updates, the Alpena did not layup at Alpena at LafargeHolcim on January 9, 2023. They are due instead to layup in Cleveland, Ohio at LafargeHolcim Dock there sometime soon.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Haven’t checked out the layup stuff today folks as I’ve been busy all day today with other obligations! However I did see and tracked the Great Republic arriving for layup today in Toledo. There could and might be some confusion as far as in details to where they are laid up at specifically. My point is, some refer to it as the Torco Dock where they are at. However it should be noted, the Torco Dock is what I consider anyway the very next slip over from where they are laid up at now. Just look at the picture on the current lay up list for this year. You see the Arthur M. Anderson and Philip R. Clarke in one slip with an ASC boat docked in the next slip over. That one is the main Torco Dock across from where the ASC boat is and where all the ore is unloaded at. Not quite sure of the exact dock name the Great Republic is at as years ago I’ve heard it was the Lakefront Coal Docks. As far as I know, the Kaye E. Barker was due in Erie for layup today. Yesterday, it appears that the Sam Laud arrived at a dock somewhere in Cleveland for layup. I don’t know where at on the Sam Laud’s detailed and specific location? Hope that this information helps out here.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Gents for all the great and juicy info much appreciated! Also and sorry I had my information wrong on where the Sykes arrived from. I thought they came in from the Bay but didn’t realize at first they came in from the lake via the ship canal. Thanks again all for your great work, help and updates! Looks like I’m going to somehow have to make and find a way to get down to Toledo to see where the PRT is exactly. Since she’s my all time favorite you’d think I would know where it’s at? I think I need a drone then but, can’t afford one now with things the way they are. Please keep the layup lists updates coming everyone and I’ll try and do my best when I can to provide reports and updates here!
cpfan

Unread post by cpfan »

Rt Hon Paul J Martin laid up last night at the same location that CSL Niagara was at last year ... Wharf 16 Snider Dock

Unread post by Guest »

The Sykes did not arrive via the bay. It came in from the lake via the ship canal, followed awhile later by the Mesabi Miner.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Well I had a temporary brain freeze this morning as I forgot to add in another vessel for my Winter Lay Up posts. In addition to my previous post and vessels arriving for layup today, we can also add in the Lee A. Tregurtha! They arrived at Fraser Shipyards in Superior this morning on January 14, 2023 for Winter Lay Up. Thanks.