Boatnerd forum waining popularity

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
JTT

Re: Boatnerd forum waining popularity

Unread post by JTT »

Lakesidevu wrote: May 12, 2023, 7:20 am I want to thank all of the volunteers that make this site happen.
Has anyone contacted the Detroit PBS station to talk to the guys who produce the Under the Radar show?
Tom Dalden is the host.
This shows is a strictly a show that talks about Michigan cities and events
You may be able to get some great exposure in all of Michigan.
UTR visited Boatnerd back in 2015. Season 5, Episode 2.
Ohio Bob

Unread post by Ohio Bob »

While I enjoy reminiscing about "the old days" when we had so much camaraderie on the boards, the new boards still provide a ton of information and offer the ability to engage in long term dialogues. Hats off to all of the volunteers who selflessly dedicate their time to keeping this board running. From the daily updates, to the photos, to moderation of the discussion boards... thank you all!
paulbeesley

Unread post by paulbeesley »

Boatnerd.com remains my home page. Each morning I enjoy a coffee, read the info presented and enjoy the photos posted. Now that I no longer live close to the Great Lakes it is comforting to be able to 'visit' and to see names of the many Boatnerds I have met over the years. Many fond memories of a quarter century of ship watching. Thank you to all who moderate and participate.
badger

Unread post by badger »

it goes without saying everyones favorite word is "free" but....you cant always have your cake and eat it too. some one has to pay the freght

Unread post by Guest »

One of the issues is attracting young people to the "hobby" but that is extremely difficult because social media is far more attractive as a forum than the Boatnerd Forums.

People want their information for free and don't want to support a marine historical society if it will cost money. That is another reason as to why social media, such as Facebook groups are so popular.

Every special interest group, hobby or whatever you want to call it, has this problem. And it's a big problem, because with out attracting new people into the fold, interest will wither.

I belong to the Central Canada Weather Discussion Group. Ten years ago it was very active with 100 members or so and many postings daily. Today, you may get 10 postings in a year with perhaps 5 active participants. That decrease is mainly due to the rise of TikTok, Twitter and Instagram.

And with AI, it may be possible for people to use ChatGPT to generate questions. How would that impact Boatnerd Forums? Would it be positive or negative?
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

I for one look forward to reading the page.
FWE

Unread post by FWE »

Long Live Boatnerd and all the knowledgeable contributors.
Guest 999

Unread post by Guest 999 »

Shipwatcher1 wrote: May 12, 2023, 4:37 pm A lot of the information people came here to look for is all posted on social media now, Facebook for example. Tons of photos there daily along with an almost instant answer to any questions people have.
I appreciate the work of the moderators and volunteers to keep the trash and trolls out of this forum. Facebook and other sites seem to have too many gainsayers and trolls, more intent on 'stirring the pot' than offering information.
c ships

Unread post by c ships »

Thanks to all who make this site happen young and old. I appreciate all the hard work, interesting topics that come to this forum. Can't express how people way in on the boats. Yes many are gone now even the old coalpassers etc. Someone made light of the Ryerson possibly sailing again. Exciting as it was, topic of discussion. I live inland and don't see the boats. I check in here at this site to get the latest information and read the discussion board, as to this topic. Thanks again for all the hard work and the love of the boats past and present. I to, like the past history, keeps me stay young at heart.
Bailey

Unread post by Bailey »

I want to personally thank everyone who makes the boatnerd site go ! Love the news , pictures and history you provide us with.
To everyone that is critical of this site , if it really bothers you that much don’t come on the site ! You must like the sites somewhat because you are still here.
Shipwatcher1

Unread post by Shipwatcher1 »

A lot of the information people came here to look for is all posted on social media now, Facebook for example. Tons of photos there daily along with an almost instant answer to any questions people have.
Lakesidevu

Unread post by Lakesidevu »

I want to thank all of the volunteers that make this site happen.
Has anyone contacted the Detroit PBS station to talk to the guys who produce the Under the Radar show?
Tom Dalden is the host.
This shows is a strictly a show that talks about Michigan cities and events
You may be able to get some great exposure in all of Michigan.
Geest

Unread post by Geest »

I'll echo the comment that forums are dying off as a means for online discourse, I don't think its unique to this site at all.
BrassTack

Unread post by BrassTack »

I very much enjoy the "Boatnerd News" and "Today In Great Lakes History" sections. I used to spend a great deal of time sailing on Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron, and Lake Huron's North Channel. So I often check out the "Saginaw River Images" postings by Mr Todd Shorkey in the "Extra Tonnage/Personal Home Pages" section. His photography is excellent, and his knowledge of the area is outstanding.

Sites like this don't exist without substantial volunteer help and dedication by the mods. Thank you to all.

Unread post by Guest »

Guest JonPaul wrote: May 10, 2023, 8:25 pm I have been a faithful follower of the website since its inception. Yes I have had frustration with some of the changes but that begs the question " how can I help?". I appreciate the volunteer hours needed to even keep this site running. There are many if us on here who worked the boats and this site affords the opportunity to keep the dialogue real and informative.
Add to that the historians we have i.e. William Lafferty, Roger Lelievre Guest from EU and others we have something to build on.
Unfortunately many of the old lake boat guys from the 50's, 60's have crossed the bar and the rich history and stories they shared are silenced.
The issue I have with the forum these days is simple. Too many people posting info that seems to lack credibility,ie: some guy told me or I heard from so n so ,etc. In addition many seem to be more knowledgeable about boat life, procedures, operations, calamities, etc. than those of us who have or are now sailing. My career was 38 yrs. But yet I’ve had many non sailors dismiss my posts based on experience and fact. My reasons for turning away from boatnerd except to read news and history postings. And yes Thank You for all those great volunteers that have and still keep the website running!

Unread post by Guest »

Lakesidevu wrote: May 10, 2023, 8:23 pm I have had the same issue trying to be a member, trying multiple times to be a registered user.
I’ve tied to register until the lakesidevu name.
Please let me know what the next steps are
You should now be registered.

BN volunteer
BrassTack

Unread post by BrassTack »

Thank you very much for the help. This will be my test post.
Guest JonPaul

Unread post by Guest JonPaul »

I have been a faithful follower of the website since its inception. Yes I have had frustration with some of the changes but that begs the question " how can I help?". I appreciate the volunteer hours needed to even keep this site running. There are many if us on here who worked the boats and this site affords the opportunity to keep the dialogue real and informative.
Add to that the historians we have i.e. William Lafferty, Roger Lelievre Guest from EU and others we have something to build on.
Unfortunately many of the old lake boat guys from the 50's, 60's have crossed the bar and the rich history and stories they shared are silenced.
Lakesidevu

Unread post by Lakesidevu »

I have had the same issue trying to be a member, trying multiple times to be a registered user.
I’ve tied to register until the lakesidevu name.
Please let me know what the next steps are
BN Volunteer

Unread post by BN Volunteer »

BrassTack,
You should now be registered as a member.