Kaye E. Barker Downbound Approach to Poe Lock

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Kaye E. Barker Downbound Approach to Poe Lock

Unread post by Guest »

Last weekend (Sunday January 6, 2023 I believe) I was watching the live Soo Locks webcam and saw the Kaye E. Barker approaching downbound for the Poe Lock. For a short time, it appeared like the vessel was about to tie up on the downbound approach wall to the MacArthur Lock. A few minutes later it appeared to be moving in the middle of the combined channel for downbound traffic for the Poe and MacArthur Locks. I confirmed this by looking at Marine Traffic which showed the Barker in the middle of the channel and heading directly for the pier separating the Poe and MacArthur Locks before going alongside the approach wall to the Poe Lock just a few hundred feet from entering the lock. I realize that the Marine Traffic representations are likely somewhat inaccurate for approximating exact locations over short distances but their imagery coincided very well with what was appearing on the live video feed. There was no other traffic in the area when this was happening. Normally I have seen vessels downbound for the Poe Lock go up against the approach wall near where the International Bridge crosses the canal so I was wondering if anyone knew of any reason as to why the Kaye E. Barker stayed off the approach wall for so long? I believe downbound traffic to the Poe Lock is normally secured on the north side of the lock, but could there have been a reason for it to tie up on the opposite south side?