Self unloader controls

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Syd bc

Re: Self unloader controls

Unread post by Syd bc »

On ships like the Algoport and Atlantic Superior the unloading control room was located on the main deck midship at the base of the house work Just aft of the boom All the belts were run from there Cargo hold and boom lights The controls for raising and swinging the boom were on deck port and starboard That way you had a clear view of the boom
E J B

Unread post by E J B »

Enterprise and Transport had the control room on the bow facing the pilot house if I am not mistaken.......

Unread post by Guest »

All self-unloaders have control rooms on deck where unloading gates can at least be monitored and the boom controlled. Most of them on converted vessels are positioned immediately aft of the base of the boom which makes them very difficult to be seen from off the vessel, the exception being the Lee A. Tregurtha onboard which they are located on either side of the loop belt casing. Most vessels built with the self-unloading equipment have either a small shack on either side of the deckhouse (like the BayShip boats of the 70s) or a built in room that looks more like a window on the accommodations block than anything.

Unread post by guest »

yes and the cort is the lnly laker with no aft end accomodations, even the galley is forward and besides she dosnt have a boom
Guest 999

Unread post by Guest 999 »

In 2016, I was shipkeeper on the MV Algosteel, laid up in Toronto on what is called the shipping channel. The Algosteel had a room at the base of the unloading gear (which was stern mounted), controls for boom positioning and belt as well as the electrical panels and circuit breakers for the self unloading equipment were here. I do not recall seeing any control stations elsewhere on the boat for boom and belt control, but there were so many controls in various places I probably missed.

Self unloader controls

Unread post by Guest »

The Cort seems to be the only laker with a control room for its self unloader. Where do the boom and conveyors get operated from on the rest of the boats? The pilot house?