Algoma Niagara question

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Guest Jon Paul

Re: Algoma Niagara question

Unread post by Guest Jon Paul »

The South Passage is mostly open water now and certainly passable but yet the Algoma Intrepid is eastbound in the Straits and just took Round Island Passage on way to Sarnia. My only guess as to the Algoma Niagara course change would be that they entered the South Pass and realized it was officially closed to traffic and did an about face. Typically there is a Notice to Mariners put out in Dec (?) that gives the closure dates of the SP from the Mac Bridge to Poe Reef Lt.
The Algocanada is inbound Cheboygan which is at the eastern end of the Passage for the US Oil dock and no ice to speak of.
guest_ahsland69

Unread post by guest_ahsland69 »

Comments from Jon Paul and algowest are very interesting, but I tell you, fro what I saw on the AIS, it sure did look like Algoma Niagara ventured into the south channel and then turned around and "high-tailed" it out of there is short order!
Guest Jon Paul

Unread post by Guest Jon Paul »

Typically the South Passage between Bois Blanc and mainland lower peninsula is closed in Winter partly due to those living on the island using an ice bridge to cross over. It had been ice free most of the winter until the colder night Temps of the past week caused a freeze over but as of this morning there were still open spots and shifting of the pack.
algowest

Unread post by algowest »

If I'm interpreting this correctly, that "south channel" between Bois Blanc Island and Cheboygan is seasonally closed after Soo Locks close each season.
Here's a quick notification from 2019 season:
https://www.cheboygannews.com/story/new ... 287806007/

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: February 19, 2024, 1:26 am
guest wrote: February 18, 2024, 2:23 pm Just curious, since Algoma Niagara is currently enroute to Milwaukee from Goderich with salt, why is she heading eastbound off the southeast tip of Bois Blanc Island at 10+ knots? Weather, ice or damage? Again, just curious.
After closer analysis, I believe I discovered the answer to my question. Ice. Probably an impenetrable ice field between Bois Banc Island and the shore line of the lower peninsula, causing Intrepid to go around the blockage and use the stretch between Bois Blanc and Mackinac Islands, instead.
Sorry, I referred to Algoma Intrepid in my last comments. I meant to refer to Algoma Niagara.

Unread post by Guest »

Here's a Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) from NOAA's STAR SOCD Program website parts of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/socd/m ... C_nrcs.png

Image is for February 19, 2024 at 1144UTC or 6:44am EST.

Unread post by Guest »

guest wrote: February 18, 2024, 2:23 pm Just curious, since Algoma Niagara is currently enroute to Milwaukee from Goderich with salt, why is she heading eastbound off the southeast tip of Bois Blanc Island at 10+ knots? Weather, ice or damage? Again, just curious.
After closer analysis, I believe I discovered the answer to my question. Ice. Probably an impenetrable ice field between Bois Banc Island and the shore line of the lower peninsula, causing Intrepid to go around the blockage and use the stretch between Bois Blanc and Mackinac Islands, instead.

Algoma Niagara question

Unread post by guest »

Just curious, since Algoma Niagara is currently enroute to Milwaukee from Goderich with salt, why is she heading eastbound off the southeast tip of Bois Blanc Island at 10+ knots? Weather, ice or damage? Again, just curious.