Two Harbors Traffic Jam ?

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.

Re: Two Harbors Traffic Jam ?

Unread post by Guest »

They appear to be overloaded. The H. Lee White is alongside now likely removing cargo from the Burns Harbor

Unread post by Guest »

Guest Jon Paul wrote: March 29, 2024, 10:53 pm A bit off subject but the Burns Harbor has been sitting at the BNSF dock in Superior for several days now while other boats take layby or at anchor. A bit strange as that dock is usually busier that Two Harbors
Because they overloaded her and she's sitting on the bottom. They're supposed to unload some of the cargo into the H Lee White
Guest Jon Paul

Unread post by Guest Jon Paul »

A bit off subject but the Burns Harbor has been sitting at the BNSF dock in Superior for several days now while other boats take layby or at anchor. A bit strange as that dock is usually busier that Two Harbors

Unread post by Guest »

Guest wrote: March 28, 2024, 7:13 am I think companies schedule into Two Harbors for the time savings. Two hours travel time closer to the Soo for example. Depart the locks and all secure at Two Harbors is two hours quicker than departing the locks and all secure at CN Duluth shiploads. That adds up over the span of a season. A four hour savings for the same pellets. When Taconite Harbor was running, it saved almost five hours over a trip to Duluth, so a ten hour savings on that trip. Thanks
Wouldn't specific grades of iron ore pellets for customer orders be the overriding consideration of where the cargoes are loaded?

Unread post by Guest »

I think companies schedule into Two Harbors for the time savings. Two hours travel time closer to the Soo for example. Depart the locks and all secure at Two Harbors is two hours quicker than departing the locks and all secure at CN Duluth shiploads. That adds up over the span of a season. A four hour savings for the same pellets. When Taconite Harbor was running, it saved almost five hours over a trip to Duluth, so a ten hour savings on that trip. Thanks

Unread post by Guest »

There were gale warnings out for Lake Superior a couple of days ago. With the west end of the lake getting 14 foot waves.
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

I believe the gott loaded in Duluth. It’s ais is still showing two harbors but there way over by the keeweena headed for the soo. They haven’t updated there ais
Hobieone

Two Harbors Traffic Jam ?

Unread post by Hobieone »

Why do companies schedule so many boat to be in Two Harbors so close together. The Speer and the Anderson hid in the Apostle Islands while someone else was loading. They are now dockside. The Gott topped off tanks in Duluth (I think I read someplace) and now they're burning up time and fuel tooling around the Western end of Superior it seems waiting on the Speer. In the meantime, Anderson is still idling away in the Apostle Islands.