Vessels still in lay up

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Denny

Re: Vessels still in lay up

Unread post by Denny »

The Algoma Guardian from the AIS Maps are in Goderich for further lay up and appears that they are laid up in Goderich then on the North Wall. That is all I have at this time.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

The Algoma Guardian departed their lay up in Sarnia at the Government Dock on May 2nd and sailed up to Goderich where they are at currently. I don’t know however, if they are in Goderich to load a cargo or if they are there for an extended and further lay up at this time? To my knowledge anyway, that’s been the only new fit out thus far among vessels fitting out and sailing in 2024. The Algoma Compass now is in Sarnia at the North Slip and appears to be in a lay up status probably due to a lack of cargoes, demand and business. Both the Stewart J. Cort and the tug Dorothy Ann with the barge Pathfinder remain laid up for Interlake. The Cort at Sturgeon Bay, tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder laid up in Erie, Pennsylvania. Algoma also has the John D. Leitch in lay up up in Owen Sound as she has yet to sail in 2024. The Oakglen of CSL or Canada Steamship Lines remains in lay up yet in Montreal and has not sailed thus far in 2024. The Philip R. Clarke also remains laid up in Toledo and has yet to sail also in 2024. That is all the fit out news and info I have for now.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I’m sure you’re 100% correct Bob on the Cort sailing this season! However, I will not be planning any trips or vacations this year at least to the Soo area or Duluth-Superior to see them which is a bummer. Like what I said in my previous post, it’s just a bummer and shame that they don’t send her down this way to the Lower Lakes once in a while anyway. Also like I said previously, even if Interlake or whoever owns and operates it were to ever sail it down here for Winter Lay Up sometime I would love to see and catch her then and I wouldn’t care in the very least about weather issues and how cold it is along with any wind or snow period! Just one time only to see the Cort come down here would be a thrill then!
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

Denny your wish may come true for the cort sailing this season, I see her ais has been turned on so I would assume she’ll be out on the lakes soon!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Yes Guest as I read and saw that on the Port Reports on boatnerd and again on Marine Traffic and their website as well. With my busy schedule now, unfortunately I don’t get much time to read the daily Port Reports and the News Page like I used to. Still would like to know when the Cort will sail this year and how much longer she will be at Sturgeon Bay and BayShip? From photos that I’ve seen of her so far, she has a new paint job and I guess has had their 5-year dry docking done? So, I guess my questions on the Cort then would be “Why the delays in her fitting out and sailing in 2024?” Maybe not enough cargoes and lack of business keeping her laid up and on the wall perhaps? Hope that the Cort does sail soon then in 2024! I only wish though that she’d make a trip or two down here to the lower lakes as I along with many others would love to see her just once come down this way. Even if she were to sail down here light and empty and say lay up in Toledo for once or even in Erie, Pennsylvania that would be amazing then and a sight you don’t get to see too often then! The Paul R. Tregurtha laid up in Toledo during the winter of 2022-23 along with the James R. Barker and the Burns Harbor. To my knowledge it was a first time ever for all three of them to winter in Toledo as I don’t recall them ever doing that before! So, I say why not have the Cort then lay up just once in either Toledo or in Erie sometime?

Unread post by Guest »

American Mariner is out Denny, on her way to Calcite
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

Thanks Guest as I appreciate your updates and information. So, from what you have heard from your sources, Not surprising that the Leitch could be finished as I have seen much in the way of rumors and talks about her on Facebook pages and the fact that the new ship the Algoma Endeavour may be the Leitch’s replacement someday? In regards to both the Clarke and the Algoma Guardian sailing when demand is up and warrants their return to service, that doesn’t surprise me either too much with those two. The Clarke has sailed and fitted out late a few times here in the last few Shipping seasons. In regards to the Algoma Guardian, I’m surprised that Algoma is keeping her around as she looks absolutely terrible IMO at least and badly needs a major paint job! The Discovery they just painted her up a few seasons ago and she had her dry docking done but, the Guardian sure does need major paint work done on her. In regards to the Oakglen possibly being finshed, that too doesn’t really surprise me given its age built in 1980 I think and has spent most of its career on the saltwater routes and trades. So, if CSL decides to get rid of her someday it would make sense plus the fact that CSL can always use another ship in the trades that the Oakglen handles. Still haven’t heard much news or updates and information though on the Cort at BayShip in Sturgeon Bay or the tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder both still in lay up at Erie, Pennsylvania. Another one is the American Mariner. I’m not seeing much as far as any news, updates or information on her from her grounding at the Soo this Spring. Surprised she’s not drydocked somewhere getting any needed repairs done on her then!

Unread post by guest »

leitch and oak may be finished depending on how fast the endevor gets done from what i hear the clarke when demand goes back up a bit more same with the guardian
Denny

Vessels still in lay up

Unread post by Denny »

Does anyone have any news, updates or information on a handful of vessels that remain laid up and have not sailed so far in 2024? The few that are still in lay up are the following for Interlake the tug Dorothy Ann and barge Pathfinder in Erie, Pennsylvania along with the Stewart J. Cort at BayShip in Sturgeon Bay getting their 5-year dry docking done along with a new paint job. The Philip R. Clarke from GLF at Toledo. Two from Algoma yet, both the Algoma Guardian in Sarnia and the John D. Leitch in Owen Sound. The Oakglen in Montreal from Canada Steamship Lines or CSL. In Ashtabula, there’s the Cuyahoga which I fully get and understand from her fire at fit out time and the American Mariner which is also there from their grounding earlier this Spring near the Soo. Anyone that knows anything on any of the laid up ships that I have listed, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.