Cort

Discussion board focusing on Great Lakes Shipping Question & Answer. From beginner to expert all posts are welcome.
Darryl1

Re: Cort

Unread post by Darryl1 »

I thought I saw the Stern sticking out over at the BN.
Mn bob

Unread post by Mn bob »

Yes cn, the only reason they came through the Duluth ship canal was so they could fuel at the port terminal.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Where is the Cort loading? CN?
Darryl1

Unread post by Darryl1 »

Cort entered the Duluth Ship Canal to be greeted by a nice size crowd Late yesterday (Friday) afternoon. It was followed in the early evening by the other 1970's constructed 1000 footer the Presque Isle a couple hours later. Both are rare guests in Duluth and very interesting to look at. PI Skipper gave the crowd multiple salutes.
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

I second that one too. Welcome back Stubby! Unfortunately though I won’t be able to get up north this year to the Soo and see her there. I know I’ve said this many times here on this forum and board however, just once I would love to see her come down here to the Lower Lakes just once. Even if they were to lay up just one time in say Toledo or in Erie! They could unload in Burns Harbor then sail down here to Toledo or Erie light and then in ballast and from there go to Toledo or Erie for lay up. Don’t ever tell me it cannot happen. You look at a year or two ago, the Paul R. Tregurtha and James R. Barker both laid up in Toledo a first for each as neither had ever laid up in Toledo before. Also, the Burns Harbor laid up with those two in Toledo as well a year or two ago also a first as far as them that is laying up in Toledo. So again I say this, “Never say never as far as the Cort not making it down here to the Lower Lakes!” There’s always a first for everything even the ships too.
Scott

Unread post by Scott »

Welcome back Stewie!

Unread post by Guest »

hayhugh wrote: May 16, 2024, 12:19 pm What flag was she fly'n going thru the locks today?
The Interlake flag.
hayhugh

Unread post by hayhugh »

What flag was she fly'n going thru the locks today?
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

As of 7:05 p.m. EDT on May 15 the Cort is now underway having departed from Sturgeon Bay earlier today and they are still headed for Superior and their first trip and load for the 2024 season. Great to have and see the Cort back out and sailing again! Calm Seas and Fair Winds to them for A Safe Sailing Season in 2024. Just wished though they would come down to the Lower Lakes as I would love to see them down here just once. Never say never everyone!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

An update and correction on my previous post. I regretfully apologize for the oversight and the error on my part! The Cort’s ETA for Superior should have read May 18 at about 1800 hours or 6 PM Central Time. Again I apologize for the oversight and error on their ETA for Superior. I hope that my information though has helped out everyone following them!
Denny

Unread post by Denny »

They are now showing a Superior ETA for May 18 at 0800 or 8:00 AM from Marine Traffic’s website! Based off of this, they should be departing from Sturgeon Bay then anytime and day this week or weekend. Subject to change of course but for now at least that is what it shows and lists for them.

Unread post by Guest »

The Stewart J. Cort had been undergoing a Special Survey due to her age, and the hull inspectors were gauging her hull (thickness of plates for wastage). Cort also needed several repairs in the ballast tanks. She should be ready to sail soon.
Scott

Cort

Unread post by Scott »

Are we expecting the Cort to sail this season? I see she's still at Bay Ship in Sturgeon Bay.